DIY Revshift-style adapter?

All boost related things here. Turbos, SuperChargers, FMUs, Megasquirt, et al.
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

DIY Revshift-style adapter?

Postby blasphemy101 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:38 pm

Well, 666 Fab is long gone. Revshift apparently doesn't do M20 Fab anymore (everything has been "out of stock" forever), and apparently the OBX adapters don't fit. I have ZERO welding experience (I can solder, though lol), but I just picked up a nice beginner wire feed that can be converted to full-on MIG once I get some experience.

At some point in the future, I'll probably take a crack at making an adapter. I've found plenty of information on general welding tips, tricks, and techniques - weld angles, different joints, patterns, wire selection, etc. but very little regarding the fabrication aspect that will be required. I know I should (and intend to) focus on the basics, but I'm concerned when it comes time, I'll be able to sufficiently lay a bead, but I have no idea about things like merge collectors, or even making connections between tubing for things like wastegates.

Has anyone here tackled anything like this? Are their any resources for the kind of information I've yet to find? Classes, even at the beginner level are expensive! I'm not so concerned with how difficult it will be, as my e30 project is intended to be as DIY as possible. I'm trying to learn as much as I can from all aspects of the build. "Those who can do; those who can't should learn" and all that...

[EDIT] Once exams are through next week, I'll start my build thread. I intend for it to include my welding progress, just to show anyone who is curious what they're getting in to and how they can avoid my inevitable mistakes.
Dontrusthise30
I <3 E30's

Re: DIY Revshift-style adapter?

Postby Dontrusthise30 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:50 pm

blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:09 pm

That's good info, but it looks like those are going to be higher-priced that even the original 666 Fabrication products. I'm sure they'll be great and MUCH higher quality than anything I come up with, but I'm looking to DIY it for now. More looking for someone to point me towards some nice fabrication info, cutting/fitting pipes/tubes, etc. "The basics"
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:22 pm

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542447&highlight=tubing+cope

This looks like a cool trick to get a nice smooth curve on the end of the tube. Good old geometry, I suppose. It's probably common sense to someone with experience, but I only have theoretical knowledge, so far. What about making the hole in the tube you are connecting to?
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:14 pm

awesome link!
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:51 pm

Yeah - once I saw it I went "oh my god - it's so simple! I imaging you can then just adjust your cut angle based on the angle of attack (don't know what else to call it) if the pipe you're shaping. Pretty smart stuff. Those cuts are just made with a miter saw, correct? I'm assuming there are metal cutting blades (only used ours for wood and tile)...
e30 gangsta
n00b

Postby e30 gangsta » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:29 am

They are asking $1300 for a twinscroll t3 mani, with dual wg provisions.
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:39 am

When I was in college, I was part of my school FSAE team-basically we design and build a formula style race car from the ground up. Being on the chassis team, I have done more tube notching than I care to even think about, and seeing that really makes me wonder how none of us ever figured that out... Would have saved so much time!!! One thing I can say, a little cordless dremel with a cutting wheel works very well for making your notches perfect.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:56 pm

The article in that link shiws how to make angles really easy. Definitly going to be trying this soon when I fab some light bars gor my utv.

$1300 is expensive for a cheap ass like me, lol. Im sure its worth every penny though, they do beautiful work.
HSAX Instructor

blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:41 pm

e30 gangsta wrote:They are asking $1300 for a twinscroll t3 mani, with dual wg provisions.

Perhaps their prices have stayed the same...I guess I wrongfully made an assumption.

M20_fever wrote:The article in that link shiws how to make angles really easy. Definitly going to be trying this soon when I fab some light bars gor my utv.

$1300 is expensive for a cheap ass like me, lol. Im sure its worth every penny though, they do beautiful work.

This...no way am I going to spend $1300 on a manifold for my first turbo project. I'm likely going to ruin many things that $1300 could go towards.

Based on the manifold price, I'm sure their adapters are still around $400, which is pretty pricey, given there is going to be ZERO development on their end. I guess the same could be said about their full manifolds. Even at that price, I can fawk up making a couple of them. FWIW I was quoted $275 to have an adapter made locally.

All in all, the prospect of taking on this project as an opportunity to learn and develop a skill is exciting! I can't wait to get started. Now, I just need to find some metal to practice on...
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:46 pm

Have you condidered using a TD manifold?
HSAX Instructor

blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:51 pm

TD manifold?

[EDIT] Oh the 524td manifold. Yes, I've considered it. I've passively had my eye on the junkyard for one, but I haven't seen a single 524td there in a couple years. If I was going to do the whole manifold vs. the adapter, I would do something like Forced_Firebird's design that copies the 524td manifold. In some ways, it looks even simpler than making the adapter, since there aren't really any bends.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:47 pm

yeah, a log style manifold is really easy to make.
HSAX Instructor

blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:07 pm

Well, my end goal is "only" 300-350whp. That's after MBs or ARPs and some more experience, though.
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:53 pm

So... I tried using my welder for the first time last night. I only made a bunch of little 1 - 1 1/2" beads all over an old jack handle, but man it's so cool!

Most of my "better" welds (all of them were terrible) looked like the one in the middle of this picture

I was able to get it to lay lower and more even a couple of times. Any suggestions? Just using flux core for the moment.

Return to “Forced Induction”