M50 Megasquirt

All boost related things here. Turbos, SuperChargers, FMUs, Megasquirt, et al.
justin_l_
I <3 E30's

M50 Megasquirt

Postby justin_l_ » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:37 am

I know there is a lot of information about megasquirt for the m20, but how much is avail for the m50? If I remember correct when you did your's (yoshi), you had to send the board out to be done? Is there less required to run megasquirt on the m50 as it is a more modern motor?

If you get a pre-made board you still need a stimulator so you can check your specific selection of sensors, or is it just to test the board and make sure everything is assembled correctly?

When running megasquirt, you have to make a harness for the engine correct? So say I want to run fuel and spark control, would my stock ecu even exist anymore? Where would I merge the new engine harness to the factory harness?

I will let you guys help me out with this, in the mean time I am going to keep doing some research and try to help myself understand some more. Sorry if this all seem stupid, but i have never actually seen a ms setup in person to interpret how it works....
I has cars!
Yoshi
Site Admin
AntiSpam: No

Re: M50 Megasquirt

Postby Yoshi » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:02 pm

So many questions! I shall answer in order.

justin_l_ wrote:I know there is a lot of information about megasquirt for the m20, but how much is avail for the m50? If I remember correct when you did your's (yoshi), you had to send the board out to be done? Is there less required to run megasquirt on the m50 as it is a more modern motor?

There is actually a good chunk of info for M50s and such but they are all e36 specific.
I did send mine out but thats because I suck at soldering and kept fucking things up. M50/M52/M54 etc its all the same actually. The biggest difference is the OBD2 crap and electronics. But MS takes all that over so its all the same hardware configuration.

justin_l_ wrote:If you get a pre-made board you still need a stimulator so you can check your specific selection of sensors, or is it just to test the board and make sure everything is assembled correctly?

I recommend getting the stim ANYWAY with a prebuilt MS just so you can verify yourself it works, if you think you blew something up, you can make sure it's the MS or the car that is wrong, AND you can upload settings and msqs from inside your house.

justin_l_ wrote:When running megasquirt, you have to make a harness for the engine correct? So say I want to run fuel and spark control, would my stock ecu even exist anymore? Where would I merge the new engine harness to the factory harness?

You dont HAVE to make your own harness. You figure your stock harness already runs the length you need it, why not use it? but I prefer to make my own stuff. My setup was fairly custom so it was easier for me to rip out all the wiring and start from 0.

if you went fuel/spark, you can just chuck the stock ecu. Simple as that. Goathumper makes a plug in kit to the stock plug so you might be able to talk to him about one for your car. i dunno if he knows how to make one for the E36 harness though. If youre good at wiring, i suggest making your own harness.

justin_l_ wrote:I will let you guys help me out with this, in the mean time I am going to keep doing some research and try to help myself understand some more. Sorry if this all seem stupid, but i have never actually seen a ms setup in person to interpret how it works....

All the questions youve had so far are normal. I could just tell you to read all the manuals but you can't really lmake a manual for what youre asking. I don't mind ppl inflating my ego. Its probably too big already tho. Except saying that means it not... but saying THAT means it is... I'll stop.
justin_l_
I <3 E30's

Postby justin_l_ » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:37 pm

Is there somewhere that has a "library" of tunes that will get you running that you can go off? If not how do you get to a point that you car will run long enough to tune it? I really appreciat the help! My car is starting to get boring and I really want boost...
I has cars!
e30guydownunder
E30 Guy

Postby e30guydownunder » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:23 am

there is a basic ve table generator this just gets you a VERY rough fuel table thou, no timing. If you read some of iXer's threads, he sorts the ignition timing, crank and cold start settings for you. And there are enough m5x's on mega squirt now you should be able to grab a msq file off somebody and plug it in. But remember hyou have to tune to your situation. So use anything you get as a starting point.

There is no easy way to get the perfect tune for your engine, but if you can get an existing file off somebody then you are well on your way.
justin_l_
I <3 E30's

Postby justin_l_ » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:26 am

That is what I was wondering. I know there is no way to get a magical perfect tune with out doing it myself. thanks
I has cars!
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:39 pm

I had to use a tune from JonK for my setup since he is running a similar turbo on the same motor.

We should start a library of basemaps from M50s. I dunno many ppl running MS on M50s tho.
redmist
n00b

Postby redmist » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:38 pm

Hi Yoshi, I have a MS2e setup on my rear turbo M20 stroker for 2yrs. Works perfect.

I have a built up M52/M50 turbo motor that is going in. You said the only differences in the MS setup are the COP and trigger wheel.

No problems with the COP changes but a little unsure about the trigger wheel changes.
Seems to be exactly the same wheel as the M20.

Thanks for your help. If you would post/email your MSQ I would be grateful so I can do a line by line comparison with my current set up.
skatebline
n00b

Postby skatebline » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:30 pm

Well im looking to turbo mine. i just need someones tune to copy... and see what that person all did for tuning
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:43 pm

I need to post my MSQ. but i don't want to right now cuz it turns out mine was tuned with a cracked manifold.
ten2doyle102
I <3 E30's

Postby ten2doyle102 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:44 pm

skatebline wrote:Well im looking to turbo mine. i just need someones tune to copy... and see what that person all did for tuning

Hey...hey..... I know this guy. :mrgreen:
skatebline
n00b

Postby skatebline » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:02 pm

He he he! Yes you do doyal! Lol just became a member buddy...

And Dam* that would suck so bad to find out that your tune was with a boost leak!
Dot Communist
I <3 E30's

Postby Dot Communist » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:05 pm

ahh another Wisconsin friend :mrgreen: if you find a library of tunes make sure to let us know, but here is the next best thing:
http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33028
"...Westboro Baptist Church, they are just afraid, and it makes sense. If I want to assure myself I am 'going to heaven,' the easiest way to go about it is to rationalize why everyone different from me is 'going to hell.'"
-Ryan Brock
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:14 pm

can I be an honorary WI member, I'm only 50 yards from the line. :)
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Dot Communist
I <3 E30's

Postby Dot Communist » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:27 pm

of course, as long as you dont drive like the rest of your Illinois brethren :wink:
"...Westboro Baptist Church, they are just afraid, and it makes sense. If I want to assure myself I am 'going to heaven,' the easiest way to go about it is to rationalize why everyone different from me is 'going to hell.'"
-Ryan Brock
ten2doyle102
I <3 E30's

Postby ten2doyle102 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:13 pm

M20_fever wrote:can I be an honorary WI member, I'm only 50 yards from the line. :)

NO!!!!! THOU ARE NOT WORTHY!!!!

Dont ban me....... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Return to “Forced Induction”