decent BOV and wastegate

All boost related things here. Turbos, SuperChargers, FMUs, Megasquirt, et al.
User avatar
Tchao
E30 Guy
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:11 am
AntiSpam: No

Re: decent BOV and wastegate

Postby Tchao » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:44 am

Im confused now.

You are willing to make a real split pulse manifold but not willing to up the budget for more quality parts?
I would divert your resources to better stuff like ECU and turbo and run a normal entry manifold. You would be miles ahead of the crowd with just that. Instead of dicking around with a super nice split pulse....that is just 2x the headache and 2x the problems. Not worth it unless you know exactly what you are doing, in which case there would not of been this thread to begin with.

If you are building your own manifold, I suggest study up on some motorsport designs, and if you are cool enough, put it though some type of CFD or whatever. There are a few forums, but the most info I found was though honda-tech on making your own manifolds, look it up and see what some pro-fab guys have to share.

My advise, make a simple but well thought out regular manifold. Get a decent WG, decent turbo, and most importantly a decent ECU. Tune it right and have long lasting superfast E30. Keep it simple.
E30 M50nv
User avatar
610EURO
E30 Guy
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 1:54 am
AntiSpam: No

Re: decent BOV and wastegate

Postby 610EURO » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:16 am

Tchao wrote:Im confused now.

You are willing to make a real split pulse manifold but not willing to up the budget for more quality parts?
I would divert your resources to better stuff like ECU and turbo and run a normal entry manifold. You would be miles ahead of the crowd with just that. Instead of dicking around with a super nice split pulse....that is just 2x the headache and 2x the problems. Not worth it unless you know exactly what you are doing, in which case there would not of been this thread to begin with.

If you are building your own manifold, I suggest study up on some motorsport designs, and if you are cool enough, put it though some type of CFD or whatever. There are a few forums, but the most info I found was though honda-tech on making your own manifolds, look it up and see what some pro-fab guys have to share.

My advise, make a simple but well thought out regular manifold. Get a decent WG, decent turbo, and most importantly a decent ECU. Tune it right and have long lasting superfast E30. Keep it simple.


i have 24-7 free time so i cant afford the highest priced parts but i can take as long as it takes to fab a good manifold. it will be running MS so im not worried about ecu. building costs nothing, buying expensive parts is hard on the bank.
Image
User avatar
Yoshi
Site Admin
Posts: 9087
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:47 pm
AntiSpam: No
Location: North VA
Contact:

Re: decent BOV and wastegate

Postby Yoshi » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:34 pm

building costs building materials. That can get pricey imo.
Image
Status: HG repair. 488wtq though!
User avatar
610EURO
E30 Guy
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 1:54 am
AntiSpam: No

Re: decent BOV and wastegate

Postby 610EURO » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:01 pm

Yoshi wrote:building costs building materials. That can get pricey imo.


thats true but i highly doubt i could get near the $1500+ volk charges for his. dont get me wrong, his stuff is top notch. but imo its way pricey.plus i prefer to say i made this rather then i bought this.
Image
User avatar
Yoshi
Site Admin
Posts: 9087
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:47 pm
AntiSpam: No
Location: North VA
Contact:

Re: decent BOV and wastegate

Postby Yoshi » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:02 pm

I'm probably just going to make my own log style or get a cast one and weld onto it.

anyone know how bad it is to weld SS to mild steel?
Image
Status: HG repair. 488wtq though!
User avatar
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender
Posts: 11026
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:28 pm
AntiSpam: No
Location: Northern IL

Re: decent BOV and wastegate

Postby M20_fever » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:32 pm

The best way to successfully weld SS to MS or even Hardened Tool steel to MS is to use Magna 303 welding rod mfg by Magna Industrial, Australia. It has been tried and tested and is the only successful way to weld different steels and the weld has a tensile strength of 1,20000 psi, but these rods are expensive and suitable primarily for maintanence or repair welding


found here: http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/6367
Image
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
User avatar
Yoshi
Site Admin
Posts: 9087
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:47 pm
AntiSpam: No
Location: North VA
Contact:

Re: decent BOV and wastegate

Postby Yoshi » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:41 pm

I don't tig tho. Fuck it. I'm just going to make a new adapter.
Image
Status: HG repair. 488wtq though!
User avatar
BenFenner
n00b
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:24 pm
AntiSpam: No
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Re: decent BOV and wastegate

Postby BenFenner » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:32 pm

To answer the original question, these are the BOVs and WGs you're after.

http://www.jgstools.com/turbo/index2.html

Tial quality for less money.
User avatar
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender
Posts: 11026
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:28 pm
AntiSpam: No
Location: Northern IL

Re: decent BOV and wastegate

Postby M20_fever » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:12 pm

Ben, glad to see you made it over here, hope you stick around and share your boost knowledge.
Image
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
User avatar
Yoshi
Site Admin
Posts: 9087
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:47 pm
AntiSpam: No
Location: North VA
Contact:

Re: decent BOV and wastegate

Postby Yoshi » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:41 pm

+1
Image
Status: HG repair. 488wtq though!
User avatar
Tchao
E30 Guy
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:11 am
AntiSpam: No

Re: decent BOV and wastegate

Postby Tchao » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:42 pm

Yikes....$200 for a bypass valve, and doesnt even have a ball seat. No thanks.

$400 for a wastegaste...granted said piston instead of diaphragm, but that price is on par with a Synapes of equal size. (50mm)
E30 M50nv
User avatar
610EURO
E30 Guy
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 1:54 am
AntiSpam: No

Re: decent BOV and wastegate

Postby 610EURO » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:34 am

BenFenner wrote:To answer the original question, these are the BOVs and WGs you're after.

http://www.jgstools.com/turbo/index2.html

Tial quality for less money.


these are about the same price as the Tials. not really any savings.
Image
User avatar
BenFenner
n00b
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:24 pm
AntiSpam: No
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Re: decent BOV and wastegate

Postby BenFenner » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:16 pm

Hmm...

I haven't prices Tial in a long while. My mistake.
DonkeyPunch
E30 Guy
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:58 am
Contact:

Re: decent BOV and wastegate

Postby DonkeyPunch » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:58 pm

I don't like the bosch plastic valves for one you
have to route it to the intake, or you have to run filters on them
because they stay open at idle.

and it kept chirping the turbo after about 12psi, but
I only ran one.

Then I got this turboxs "RFL" one. Looks like something
some old man would run in his mustang, but does the job.
No more turbo mating calls with it.

But cheapest for sure would be two plastic recirc valves.
My signature is to help me find my last post like a bookmark.
Should I make it flashy with colors, and a picture of my car?
This is fine... People will know it's me just by looking at this text,
not my screen name.BLUE or perhaps a large .gif. Hmm.
User avatar
Yoshi
Site Admin
Posts: 9087
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:47 pm
AntiSpam: No
Location: North VA
Contact:

Re: decent BOV and wastegate

Postby Yoshi » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:05 am

DonkeyPunch wrote:Then I got this turboxs "RFL" one. Looks like something
some old man would run in his mustang, but does the job.
No more turbo mating calls with it.


Thats what I have. Sounds pretty good too.
Image
Status: HG repair. 488wtq though!

Return to “Forced Induction”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest