Hacked up laptop as megaview?

All boost related things here. Turbos, SuperChargers, FMUs, Megasquirt, et al.
Dot Communist
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Hacked up laptop as megaview?

Postby Dot Communist » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:15 pm

Has anyone ever tried hacking up a laptop and programming it to just boot tunerstudio or somthing like that? Im thinking it would be pretty cool to stash a small computer or laptop or whatever in the glove box so that when the car is turned on, you get a digital display. Maby some sort of linux could boot tuner studio as on OS? just a thought :) anything beats paying 400 clams for a LCD screen :roll:
"...Westboro Baptist Church, they are just afraid, and it makes sense. If I want to assure myself I am 'going to heaven,' the easiest way to go about it is to rationalize why everyone different from me is 'going to hell.'"
-Ryan Brock
Tchao
E30 Guy

Re: Hacked up laptop as megaview?

Postby Tchao » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:16 pm

mp3car.com
E30 M50nv
Dot Communist
I <3 E30's

Postby Dot Communist » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:29 pm

Tchao wrote:mp3car.com

thats just what I was looking for :mrgreen:
"...Westboro Baptist Church, they are just afraid, and it makes sense. If I want to assure myself I am 'going to heaven,' the easiest way to go about it is to rationalize why everyone different from me is 'going to hell.'"
-Ryan Brock
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:36 pm

I've been in the works for doing mine for quite a while. Basically. you can get megatunix on a small boot of linux but I find the GUI lacking. I don't know if tuner studio will work in linux.

My plans are to mount a laptop somewhere and get a usb touch screen somewhere for read outs. Thats just me tho.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:12 am

I want to do the same thing. My buddy has a setup like that running a laptop in the trunk with a touch screen in the dash. There is free carputer software you can download. He even has a mini wireless keyboard he keeps under his front seat for surfing the net. He used wireless, but I'm going to use a Sprint Aircard so I get Broadband anywhere there is cell phone towers. Isolating the system from the car is important or you get interference like an engine through an AM radio.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Dot Communist
I <3 E30's

Postby Dot Communist » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:34 am

thats cool that i'm not the only one :D and there is a tuner studio for linux, its distributed by tar files. With megatunix, is that mountable as an OS so I can boot the computer and have that start automatically?
-Ryan Brock
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:07 am

nah its not mountable IIRC. You can make a start up script to open it automatically.

I'm a windows guy tho. I just plan to put my carputer into hybernate and make it resume quicker. touch screen ftw.
Dot Communist
I <3 E30's

Postby Dot Communist » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:36 am

im sure theres a way in linux, maby DSL? just boot display drivers and serial I/O interface or whatever drivers...
-Ryan Brock
Tchao
E30 Guy

Postby Tchao » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:07 am

Stop dreaming guys.
There is no place on the e30 where you can place the screen effectively. I gave up years ago trying to do a carputer. It aint gonna happen with the e30 layout.
E30 M50nv
Dot Communist
I <3 E30's

Postby Dot Communist » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:54 pm

Tchao wrote:Stop dreaming guys.
There is no place on the e30 where you can place the screen effectively. I gave up years ago trying to do a carputer. It aint gonna happen with the e30 layout.

I was thinking the same thing till I saw this guys install, But I was thinking do the opposite. I'm thinking maby get a block of foam to fit where the ash tray is and sand it to a shape where it looks nice and flow's down from the angle of where the heater controls are, lay it up with some fiber-glass and paint it to match. Sounds good to me except for the part where the inside of the car is covered in foam dust :roll:
-Ryan Brock
Dot Communist
I <3 E30's

Postby Dot Communist » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:00 pm

Somthing if not exactly like this
-Ryan Brock
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:17 pm

I don't really care about looks. Mine is a track car. I want to easily datalog, view gauges, and listen to music on shitty laptop speakers lol.
Dot Communist
I <3 E30's

Postby Dot Communist » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:28 pm

I saw that lol, I like the cop car laptop stand, how well does that stand up to the track?
-Ryan Brock
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:38 pm

it would hold up well if it didn't untighten. I took it out... Too much BS. You can make one for about $20 at home depot really. Not worth the ebay buy.
Dot Communist
I <3 E30's

Postby Dot Communist » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:27 pm

Have you ever heard of the asus EEEbox? that would make a good computor, but im sure it would be cheaper to buy a used small motherboard and fab my own case.
-Ryan Brock

Return to “Forced Induction”