Megasquirt vs Motronic w custom chip. Miller WAR/MAF

All boost related things here. Turbos, SuperChargers, FMUs, Megasquirt, et al.
BMWIS
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Megasquirt vs Motronic w custom chip. Miller WAR/MAF

Postby BMWIS » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:43 pm

First this is a super basic question. Sorry for being dumb. I did do a search on the other site with keywords megasquirt and motronic (together) and turned up nothing.

My question is WHY do you need megasquirt?

With the ability to monitor AFR's with a wideband, and the ability to modify your own chips with a WAR chip, what makes M/S so much better?

I really like the idea of an ecu that works, has factory wiring, doesn't need updates etc.....But the cost of a WAR chip with the MAF conversion together is about the same as a PnP Megasquirt.

Application will either be a BIG stroker -3.1 to 3.2L or budget 84mm stroke 2.8 w/130mm rods, I pistons, and a supercharger
Last edited by BMWIS on Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dot Communist
I <3 E30's

Re: Megasquirt vs Motronic w custom chip.

Postby Dot Communist » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:10 pm

war chip=350 dollars and is very basic, IE tuning softwar/on the fly tuning
MS=130 and is pretty decent. Megatune (also autotune lol)

but i do like the examples they used for the multiple tunes, a tune so that valet drivers or shop mechanics can't joyride. :lol:
"...Westboro Baptist Church, they are just afraid, and it makes sense. If I want to assure myself I am 'going to heaven,' the easiest way to go about it is to rationalize why everyone different from me is 'going to hell.'"
-Ryan Brock
BMWIS
I <3 E30's

Postby BMWIS » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:52 pm

Where is MS $130?

To keep a clean install I would want a PNP M/S which is close to $600 +wideband and any other options.
Dot Communist
I <3 E30's

Postby Dot Communist » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:48 am

BMWIS wrote:Where is MS $130?

To keep a clean install I would want a PNP M/S which is close to $600 +wideband and any other options.

139 sorry, but still:
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/prod ... ucts_id=28
"...Westboro Baptist Church, they are just afraid, and it makes sense. If I want to assure myself I am 'going to heaven,' the easiest way to go about it is to rationalize why everyone different from me is 'going to hell.'"
-Ryan Brock
BMWIS
I <3 E30's

Postby BMWIS » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:37 am

Is there a PnP adapter harness available?

After a bunch of reading last night I think I'm going to go with megasquirt as my next mod. Both to gain a few HP, and to support other things down the road. :lol:
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:22 pm

If you just want it to work. you probably don't want either.

Burning chips is much more time intensive. I didn't know you could make the stock ECU use a wide band. In the MS the wide band allows it to make appropriate corrections on the fly. Its much more of a computer than the stock motronic box. Motronics just follows the simple load/rpm pattern while MS can take many things into consideration on the fly. Pick whats best for you. might just be a TCD chip.
BMWIS
I <3 E30's

Postby BMWIS » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:37 pm

Will M/S 1 v2.2 support ignition control also?

I'm going M/S. I can only afford to do it myself but I think I'll be fine if I follow directions and take my time.
Soon as I sell parts to fund this....Gotta get a clutch first.

So to start I need this.http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/mega ... -p-28.html

And this. http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/mega ... -p-30.html

Once those are assembled what else do I need? This will allow me to use the Stim on the M/S to see how/if things are working right?

Once I get that squared away, I need to purchase an LC-1, TPS and bracket (E36 TPS??) What other sensors do I need to install? And is this the kind of information included with the M/S kit?

Then I need this.http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/bmw- ... p-194.html

I'm broke so this is not going to happen today. Like I said though as soon as I sell parts to fund it this is my next project.
Consider this a project thread for someone who needs to have their hand held through the process.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:45 pm

Here read this: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=230

You want the v3 board for spark. The v2.2 doesn't do spark easily.

IMO. get a premade megasquirt unless you know you are the shit at soldering.

Estimated cost of everything: premade ms1v3, wide band, motronic happiness == $600. Thats still cheaper than most EMS' out there. Don't skimp!
BMWIS
I <3 E30's

Postby BMWIS » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:04 pm

If I'm going to spend that much $$ wouldn't I be better off going with the PnP motronic boxes with M/S installed like Ely sells?

I think it would cut down on the learning curve and help visualize what is going on by assembling it myself, but maybe not.

If I buy a premade M/S box from DIYAUTOTUNE, I would still need some type of adapter harness right?
I don't want to chop up my factory wiring, just in case I need to resort to the motronic to get the car to run.
Dot Communist
I <3 E30's

Postby Dot Communist » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:52 pm

BMWIS wrote:If I'm going to spend that much $$ wouldn't I be better off going with the PnP motronic boxes with M/S installed like Ely sells?

I think it would cut down on the learning curve and help visualize what is going on by assembling it myself, but maybe not.

If I buy a premade M/S box from DIYAUTOTUNE, I would still need some type of adapter harness right?
I don't want to chop up my factory wiring, just in case I need to resort to the motronic to get the car to run.

I bought one of those, they sell the m20 ones on the website, but I think you need to buy the m5x ones directly from goathumper
-Ryan Brock
BMWIS
I <3 E30's

Re: Megasquirt vs Motronic w custom chip. Miller WAR/MAF

Postby BMWIS » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:01 pm

I think I'm just going to say screw it and get the Miller MAF/WAR combo. Will be a nice introduction to tuning as I understand it's very user friendly.

It will fit my needs for some time.....stock 2.5, then header/exhaust, then heavily ported head and cam, then a 3.1 shortblock.

Only concern is down the road I would like to build an ITB setup like Ely did.

Any reason why, with an adapted stock TPS, and an MAF you couldn't run ITB's? There would be a plenum/intake combo fitted to the throttles.
Tchao
E30 Guy

Postby Tchao » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:44 pm

Good luck tuning ITBs on a simple WAR combo....

Seems like you are deliberately putting yourself into a lose-lose situation. Just keep this in mind, if the WAR was so great, everyone would be jumping on it instead of the hassles of EMS. Unless you are NickG, JimC, etc...who knows the definitions of Bosch Motronics, you will be stuck and limited. Then after hundreds more dollars down the drain you will give up, and sell your car turned POS nightmare, or end up dropping some serious dough to reverse all your poor decisions and do it right the final time.
E30 M50nv
Dot Communist
I <3 E30's

Postby Dot Communist » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:37 am

Tchao wrote:Good luck tuning ITBs on a simple WAR combo....

I didn't even think of that. There is nowhere to run a MAP sensor on a warchip so you have to keep the stock AFM, which is no good for tuning, especially on a turbo ITB setup.
-Ryan Brock
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:08 pm

I think you are stretching the purpose of the WAR chip (altho I don't know ANYTHING about it).

Why reinvent the wheel? People use certain things for a reason. Going against that is like pissing in the wind.
BMWIS
I <3 E30's

Postby BMWIS » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:42 pm

Dot Communist wrote:
Tchao wrote:Good luck tuning ITBs on a simple WAR combo....

I didn't even think of that. There is nowhere to run a MAP sensor on a warchip so you have to keep the stock AFM, which is no good for tuning, especially on a turbo ITB setup.

You can convert from the AFM to a mass air flow sensor. And use the war chip which is just a way to tune your own chips......Allows access to fuel/timing tables among other stuff.

Return to “Forced Induction”