"stroker"/turbo cookie cutter questions

All boost related things here. Turbos, SuperChargers, FMUs, Megasquirt, et al.
ETAt801
n00b
AntiSpam: No

"stroker"/turbo cookie cutter questions

Postby ETAt801 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:10 am

Hey everyone. New to the forum, but not so much to cars.
I have decided to build a 2.7it motor for the e30 I dont have. Currently own a e36 and need a project till I find a decent e30. I have asked around some other forums and was reffered to here. Basically these were my thoughts:
Get an ETA motor, put the 885 head casting on along with the intake mani, TB, electronics, ECU, and exhaust. I have done enough research to know that when doing the head swap your supposed to swap the pistons out as well because it will lower the compression ratio which is not ideal. UNLESS your gonna build it turbo right??
Also know you need larger injectors because the stock ones lean out at the higher RPM.
My questions are for the turbo and such parts. I dont really know much about the proper tuning of a turbo setup. What else will I need?
Turbo Exhaust Mani. the ebay one is ok or no?
Even Larger Injectors. but HOW large??
Port and Polish the Head. was already planning on doing that w/o the turbo
Proper tuning or Chip. what one to use???
Wideband O2. Do I need that??
Turbo how big?
I have read multiple threads of people just doing the stroker/I head swap and getting around 180-190 some horsepower or something in that range.
I am looking to do this as a budget build but will go big where I need it, like the head work.
Im not looking for a jet engine turbo that will shoot me to space. More like a decent sized and probably used one that can push my car when I want but still reliable. Like 7-10 lbs of boost or so. (I think thats what most stock turbos push isnt it)
I dont really have a set power goal but if just the head swap alone can get it up to 190 then Im lookin to break into the 200-225 range and if I get even more GREAT!.
Any help would be great as I have a little extra money and could pick up a ETA tonight for 200 or less if the guy accepts, so I could start soon.
Im a noob tube when it comes to turbo talk and such so any help would be awesome. P.S. prepared for flames, angry words, and the "GOD SEARCH YOU STUPID NOOB" responses.
Dot Communist
I <3 E30's

Re: "stroker"/turbo cookie cutter questions

Postby Dot Communist » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:25 am

Turbo Exhaust Mani. the ebay one is ok or no? I would personally stay away from an ebay mani, ask Yoshi how much he likes them lol
Even Larger Injectors. but HOW large?? ~24#
Port and Polish the Head. was already planning on doing that w/o the turbo go for it
Proper tuning or Chip. what one to use??? Proper tuning, its not worth it to skimp on this, get a Megasquirt they're not that expensive
Wideband O2. Do I need that?? you sure do
Turbo how big? 50 trim minimum and .63/.58(?) a/r
"...Westboro Baptist Church, they are just afraid, and it makes sense. If I want to assure myself I am 'going to heaven,' the easiest way to go about it is to rationalize why everyone different from me is 'going to hell.'"
-Ryan Brock
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:09 am

urbo Exhaust Mani. the ebay one is ok or no? Ebay is fine for an M20 in my experience. If you have the cash, go for a better one tho.
Even Larger Injectors. but HOW large?? depends on power goals. 24# should get you to 220whp but that would be about the max.
Port and Polish the Head. was already planning on doing that w/o the turbo - eh, you CAN
Proper tuning or Chip. what one to use??? I like megasquirts with fuel and spark control
Wideband O2. Do I need that?? its essential
Turbo how big? for 220whp? some kind of T3 maybe T3/T4

Honestly you have lots of reading to do about turbos and the motor build (not as much on the motor build part).

IMO you'll be spending so much money on the motor for such little gain. For the same amount you can get a 2.5 liter M50/M52 and get 220whp NA. Then boost on top of that and get HUGE numbers. Or stay stock for good reliability.

I just don't like the 2.7i motor honestly. Such a waste of money. Rebuild a 24v.
ETAt801
n00b

Postby ETAt801 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:49 am

Well around here M50`s are hard to come by and even more expensive.
Most the time they are missing parts or dont have the ecu or harness either.
And the m50 swap uses a bunch of parts from different cars and the most daunting part is the wiring harness. Splicing and all that jazz just isnt my cup of tea.
And I have got similar answeres on different threads. Its just that im not looking for a dyno sheet I can plaque on my wall or anything. Nothing that is going to put down huge numbers and huge power. I just want something sporty, easy and reliable. Im sure those can all be achieved with the m50 its just not what im looking for.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:29 pm

where are you from? I refuse to believe that you can find M20 motors/ecu/harness easily but not M50 motors/ecu/harness. You don't have to do any splicing of the wiring harness. make an adapter or buy one. It's not really that hard, like 10 wires.

The only exotic parts you need (that you can't necessarily buy new) is the drive shaft and maybe brake booster. Only special things other than that you need are E36 motor mount arms (probably comes with the motor) and the E34 oil pan and pick up.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:29 pm

Turbo Exhaust Mani. the ebay one is ok or no? I have heard of plenty of people running these manis' with no problem, but I hear they require you to cut the flange between the exhaust ports to prevent cracking.

Even Larger Injectors. but HOW large?? As Yosh said, 24# should get you to where you say you want to be.

Port and Polish the Head. was already planning on doing that w/o the turbo meh, if your on a budget I would spend this money elsewhere, like on a programmable ECU. I opted to go with port/polish and over sized valves but it was not needed.

Proper tuning or Chip. what one to use??? as stated already, programable ECU. The vast majority of the e30 turbo community is running MegaSquirt because its cheap (around $700 for a fuel/spark setup), but there are many other options.

Wideband O2. Do I need that?? If you plan to tune yourself then definitely.

Turbo how big? most turbo M20's seem to be running a Holset HX35, but it depends on how you want the car to perform.

To be honest, I think your rushing into this if you need all these questions answered for you. You need to do a lot of research and have a solid plan of exactly what you want. Try picking up a book called "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell, it is a great starting point and covers all the basic needs of a proper turbo system.

Welcome to e3p by the way. :)
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
ETAt801
n00b

Postby ETAt801 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:05 am

Yoshi wrote:where are you from? I refuse to believe that you can find M20 motors/ecu/harness easily but not M50 motors/ecu/harness. You don't have to do any splicing of the wiring harness. make an adapter or buy one. It's not really that hard, like 10 wires.

The only exotic parts you need (that you can't necessarily buy new) is the drive shaft and maybe brake booster. Only special things other than that you need are E36 motor mount arms (probably comes with the motor) and the E34 oil pan and pick up.

Im in salt lake city Utah. pretty much the lamest place on the planet. The bmw community out here is basically non existant and the only reason m20`s are easy to come by is because there are a couple e30`s in the yard. Not so much e36`s.
I already have a e36 with the m50 vanos obd1 blah blah blah. I dont know, I just dont want the same motor in a different shell. Its boring because the one I have is modded somewhat so I know exactly what to expect from the motor. I have been told its completely different having the m50 in the e30 with different power/wieght ratio and so on. Just not feelin the m50, and they are harder to come by. I have seen 1 in local listings and it was 500 for the motor alone with almost 200k miles on it.
ETAt801
n00b

Postby ETAt801 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:10 am

M20_fever wrote:To be honest, I think your rushing into this if you need all these questions answered for you. You need to do a lot of research and have a solid plan of exactly what you want. Try picking up a book called "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell, it is a great starting point and covers all the basic needs of a proper turbo system.

Welcome to e3p by the way. :)

To be honest I completely agree with you. As stated Im pretty much a turbo noob when it comes to the technical specs of it. I just dont know where to start ya know. And the whole thing has just been idea that I would like to make a reality. This isnt like some overnight thing I will just throw together. Plannin on a steady/slow build over probably 2 years as I make funds for the project. And thanks for the welcome :D
P.S. double post FTL, couldnt figure out how to multi quote. sorry.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:22 am

no multi quote yet *cough* *Yoshi* *cough* so don't worry about double posts. I compleatly understand the long term build, I'm going on 3 years, lol. Reading "Maximum Boost" will give a good foundation to build on, I highly recommend it.
HSAX Instructor

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:31 pm

ETAt801 wrote: I dont know, I just dont want the same motor in a different shell. Its boring because the one I have is modded somewhat so I know exactly what to expect from the motor. I have been told its completely different having the m50 in the e30 with different power/wieght ratio and so on. Just not feelin the m50, and they are harder to come by. I have seen 1 in local listings and it was 500 for the motor alone with almost 200k miles on it.

Yes but you don't have a turbo M50 in your E36. I still say cost/performance you get a better ratio from an M50 than the 2.7i M20

M20_fever wrote:no multi quote yet *cough* *Yoshi* *cough* so don't worry about double posts.

If you hit reply (not quick reply) and scroll down, you can hit quote. Yea the + as you read posts would be nice but I'm reserving that head ache for when we actually get more members. lol
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:05 pm

maybe better functionality would bring in more users? :)

I say stick with the 12 valves god gave you, you can get more power from that M20 than you could put to the ground anyway...
HSAX Instructor

Tchao
E30 Guy

Postby Tchao » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:39 pm

LOL @ who refered you to here. Go to E30tech for good turbo info.

Ill make this quick I guess:

Turbo size....who knows...whats your horsepower goal?
-no stock turbos dont run 7psi
-no 24lb injectors will not work
-no chips "tunes" go standalone
-no eBay crap...look at the forum admin here.

As for this quote:
I am looking to do this as a budget build but will go big where I need it, like the head work.

That is full of fail. I would put every dime in tuning first. FYI the 885 head has already seriously great ports, most failed muscle car fags will hurt the flow by modifying it. Leave it alone or send it to a serious company like MM. A normal P&P will not fly here.
Good luck.
E30 M50nv
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:54 pm

Tchao wrote:LOL @ who refered you to here. Go to E30tech for good turbo info.

Ouch.
Tchao
E30 Guy

Postby Tchao » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:55 pm

:( Sorry Yoshi, didnt mean it like that...let me rephase my asshole mouth:

This place is dead for turbo talk. Go to teh tech. :shock:
E30 M50nv
Yoshi
Site Admin