DIY: Howto - OIL CHANGE - Air Filter Replacement 88 BMW 325e

M20/M30/M50/Whatever! All engine related stuff here.
dsc201knoc
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

DIY: Howto - OIL CHANGE - Air Filter Replacement 88 BMW 325e

Postby dsc201knoc » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:24 pm

Did an oil change on my car today and I know there is already a howto on this, but i figured it couldnt hurt to have another one for the 325e.

NOTE: Try to start with a cool engine; however, its up to you on how much heat you can handle. :mrgreen:

Vehicle: 1988 BMW 325e
Procedure: Oil Change and Air Filter Replacement
Tools Required:
17mm Socket
10mm Socket
26mm Socket (if you use the K&N Oil Filter)
1/4in Socket
Extension for ratchet (Optional)
Ratchet
Strap wrench (Optional)
Funnel
Some Rags
Jack
2 sets of jack stands
Oil catching bin
Time: 30-45mins

Ok to start, i ran to Advance Auto and picked up some stuff so i could start the process of changing the oil and air filter. This is a real easy thing to do but, hopefully, this can help people that need some photo assistance.

Parts List:
Oil Filter: K&N Part# HP 2005
Air Filter: Purolator Part# A43558
Oil: Castrol GTX High Mileage (3.5-4qt with Lucas, 4.5-5qt w/o Lucas)
Supplement: Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer (Optional) (1qt)

My parts list are completely optional by brand, any item in the list can be changed for a different brand if you want. I use Lucas Products because I see how they prolong the the life of whatever item they are meant to work on. It adds to the cost of the change but i feel it is worth it, especially on a car with 150,000+ mile car. I also recommend getting another quart of oil as a flush, this quart can be the same brand or a qt of cheap oil. (your choice and is not required)

OIL CHANGE

1. JACK UP THE CAR - Ok so lets get started. First we want the car off the ground so we jack up the car. I used the front frame inside to jack up the car, there is a runner bar that works well and is very noticeable. I jack up the car from here so i leave the front jack location open for the jack stand. The way the car is structured when you jack up the front the back comes up also. You can start on either side, I started on the driver side. Place the jack stands under the front and rear. lower the jack and go to the other side and repeat, when you jack up the other side of the car the front on the opposite side may come up off the jack stand, this is not an issue. Just continue and place the jack stands under the driver front. go to the back and jack up the back from the trailing arm mount. Place the jack stand under the rear. Lower the jack and make sure it is stable on all 4 stands.

2. GET THE OLD OIL OUT - So here is where we start getting the old out so we can get in with the new. :) So on this car the filter is located on the passenger side of the motor and the drain is on the passenger side also. Slowly Take out the Drain plug with the 17mm ratchet and socket, you can use the extension on the ratchet to keep your hands away from the oil when it starts flowing out. Place your oil catch bin under, make sure it is in a good position because it will drip at first then flow and then drip at the end.

So now you want to take off the filter, this is not too bad the oil will have a slight flow as soon as you loosen the filter with your strap wrench. Make sure you are finished with most the oil flowing out of the drain plug and temporarily place the drain plug back into the oil pan. move your oil catch bin under the filter, start to loosen and you will get oil flow again, when it is done flowing completely unscrew the filter and dump the excess oil out of the filter. Place the filter in a place so you can trash it, recycle it or do whatever it is you want to do with the filter. (Thats up to you). Now that it is off clean off the old oil with one of your rags and now you can install the new filter. Pus a little new oil on the gasket of the new filter and rescrew the new filter in.

Once you have the new filter in, move your catch bin back under the drain bolt and open it back up. There may be some more accumulated old oil. THIS NEXT PART IS OPTIONAL: I always run some oil through the motor until the oil coming out of the drain plug looks clean. On this car i used about .5L before the engine oil looked clean coming out the oil pan. I always clean off all associated parts even though you dont have to, its just good practice. Once it came out clean i put the drain bolt back in and cleaned up the area a little.

4. SYSTEM CHECK - It is recommended that after you have the oil changed you run the car for 15 and check for leaks, if all ok then it checks out. Then drive the car for 15 and recheck for leaks. So we take the car off the stands in the same manner we put it up and now we can change out the air filter. I changed the air filter while the oil was draining but i wanted to separate them for ease of simplicity.

AIR FILTER CHANGE

1. GETTING THE OLD AIR FILTER OUT - This is a pretty simple process, so what we do now it loosen the retaining strap for the inlet pipe (1/4in Socket), loosen the two 10mm bolts on the driver side of the airbox, disconnect the plug on the MAF sensor, and push off the 4 retaining clips around the air box. Check inside the base of the box and make sure there isnt anything hanging out or living in there. My filter was disgusting so i cleaned out the whole inlet system, but that is a howto for another day.

2. IN WITH THE NEW - Ok the easiest way i have noticed to get this in is by clipping the base and the top together and slowly sliding it in place. all the mounting hardware is on the top of the housing so this makes it easy to just drop it right in. Once it is in just reclip, re tighten, put the MAF sensor wire back on and tighten the inlet tube back on.

3. COMPLETE - Congrats you just did an Oil Change and Replaced your Air Filter.

NOTE: Dispose of your old motor oil appropriately. Basic maintenance will prolong your cars life, dont wait until i is a problem, thats why they call it preventive maintenance.

:mrgreen:
05-Now -- BMW is "The Ultimate Driving Machine"
Next BMW: e63 BMW M6
91 e30 318iS
97 e36 M3
95 e36 M3 (Traded)
08 e82 135i (S)
96 e36 328iS M (S)
88 e30 325e (S)
10 r56 S (S)
98 e36 M3 (S)
80 e21 323i (S)
08 e90 328i M-Tech (S)
86 e30 318i (S)
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Re: DIY: Howto - OIL CHANGE - Air Filter Replacement 88 BMW

Postby M20_fever » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:28 pm

very nice write-up, sticky.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
dsc201knoc
I <3 E30's

Postby dsc201knoc » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:45 pm

M20_fever wrote:very nice write-up, sticky.

Thanks man, I am doing the front control arms soon, I have them in the garage but haven't had a chance to install them because of work.
05-Now -- BMW is "The Ultimate Driving Machine"
Next BMW: e63 BMW M6
91 e30 318iS
97 e36 M3
95 e36 M3 (Traded)
08 e82 135i (S)
96 e36 328iS M (S)
88 e30 325e (S)
10 r56 S (S)
98 e36 M3 (S)
80 e21 323i (S)
08 e90 328i M-Tech (S)
86 e30 318i (S)
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:19 am

awesome, keep the write ups coming, probably a set of stickers in it for you. ;)
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop

Return to “Engine”