MVRK - DIY - 255LPH Fuel Pump DIY

M20/M30/M50/Whatever! All engine related stuff here.
mvrk10256
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

MVRK - DIY - 255LPH Fuel Pump DIY

Postby mvrk10256 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:43 am

So a few days ago my fuel pump went (sort of) so I decide to order a new unit. Figured I would just got the 255LPH route for future boost or w/e.

TRE is a good alternative (cheaper) than walbro and seems to have good review. The E30 uses the TRE 340 unit.

Here is the link.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Ftreperformance.com%2FFuelPumps%2FTRE255FuelPumps.html&h=eAQES2LX-

While not a complete plug and play (More LPH = bigger size) It is pretty simple. I did it for the first time in the dark with no problems.

1. Remove all carpets/seats/ect in your way

2. Disconnect Battery (recommended)

3. 4 phillips screws on the cover need to be removed

4. 4 8mm nuts and washers need to be removed from fuel level sensor

5. slide it out - ITS FULL OF FUEL (depending on level) so be prepared

6.Remove the small connector fuel hose.

7. Rotate remaining bracket COUNTERCLOCKWISE and pull it up

8. Disassemble and unsolder the connector wires - pay attention to the polarity

9. Cut the bracket for the larger nozzel

10.solder on new wires, assemble pump, dont forget the fillter

11.Put it back in the car - this time rotating CLOCKWISE

12.Put in the fuel level sensor and the cover and drive away - Also recommend replaceing that bit of fuel line if its old.

-Maksim

Need a project for the weekend? Search "MVRK" - 11 Sticky DIY's and counting....
Rick
I <3 E30's

Re: MVRK - DIY - 255LPH Fuel Pump DIY

Postby Rick » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:25 pm

I got that same 255 pump, and its been teh shits. If its hot outside and I drive for more than an hour it stops working. let it sit and cool 20 min and its Ok again. Fucking problem drove me nuts checking everything.

Eventually I carried a voltmeter in car because i knew it would do it again, and drove untill it stopped again. Viola, there was voltage to the pump but it was not working. The pump only runs when the car does, so its kinda hard to check but im almost certian that the pump itself is whats stopping.

I would highly recommend a real deal Walbro 255 or Bosch unit, its not worth saving the extra 30 bucks or so to potentially have the problem that I did.
Rick
I <3 E30's

Postby Rick » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:27 pm

Im def not trying to shit on your good writeup BTW!
mvrk10256
I <3 E30's

Postby mvrk10256 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:50 pm

Rick wrote:I got that same 255 pump, and its been teh shits. If its hot outside and I drive for more than an hour it stops working. let it sit and cool 20 min and its Ok again. Fucking problem drove me nuts checking everything.

Eventually I carried a voltmeter in car because i knew it would do it again, and drove untill it stopped again. Viola, there was voltage to the pump but it was not working. The pump only runs when the car does, so its kinda hard to check but im almost certian that the pump itself is whats stopping.

I would highly recommend a real deal Walbro 255 or Bosch unit, its not worth saving the extra 30 bucks or so to potentially have the problem that I did.

Well it gets hot as shit here in texas, so when it does, if I have this problem i will know.

Also TRE is a known good manufacturer. This is NOT an ebay walbro knockoff.
-Maksim

Need a project for the weekend? Search "MVRK" - 11 Sticky DIY's and counting....
Rick
I <3 E30's

Postby Rick » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:55 pm

Well I hope its OK. Maybe I got a substandard one. I threw the box away mine came in, but I do remember specifically that it came with that exact accessory hook-up bag of parts yours did. Same color pump body too.

It was a bitch problem, because most of the time I was discounting the fact that the problem could be the pump, because it was "new"
mvrk10256
I <3 E30's

Postby mvrk10256 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:49 pm

Rick wrote:Well I hope its OK. Maybe I got a substandard one. I threw the box away mine came in, but I do remember specifically that it came with that exact accessory hook-up bag of parts yours did. Same color pump body too.

It was a bitch problem, because most of the time I was discounting the fact that the problem could be the pump, because it was "new"

Ya I hope its ok too. If there are issues I will report back but for the last week its been good.
-Maksim

Return to “Engine”