M20 Modelled in Solidworks

M20/M30/M50/Whatever! All engine related stuff here.
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

M20 Modelled in Solidworks

Postby blasphemy101 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:49 pm

I'm going to be taking a CAD (Solidworks) class over the summer, so I've been looking around the internet at BMW-related things. I thought this was pretty cool - despite some of his shading dealings, credit should still be given to Vlad for his contributions. No idea if the dimensions are correct (I don't even know how to check them yet!), but it's sure pretty to look at...

Someone break out the 3d printer!

http://grabcad.com/library/bmw-m20-engine-1
Yoshi
Site Admin

Re: M20 Modelled in Solidworks

Postby Yoshi » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:19 pm

I don't get it. how does it print out?
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:13 am

It would be a cool desk toy. Pistons are wrong though.

yoshi, you can print complete assemblies that are fully functional now.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:03 am

M20_fever wrote:yoshi, you can print complete assemblies that are fully functional now.

I get that. I don't see how this design will function at all. Let alone standing up right.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:46 pm

It would need some work to be printed and actually turn, and you would need to print a stand for it. Pretty good start though.
HSAX Instructor

blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:13 pm

M20_fever wrote:Pistons are wrong though.

Maybe it's a turbo build...
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:05 pm

right, lol.
HSAX Instructor

blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:12 pm

I'm going to start on my final project for my CAD class, and I think it would be fun to do something cool like this. I'd probably only be able to handle a sub-assembly, like the rotating assembly or a section of the suspension, with the time given.

Any idea how someone would go about getting the measurements for something like this?

I assume some companies would have schematics for things like pistons and rods, but I'm not sure they'd be willing to share. I guess I could just fire off some emails.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:56 pm

Getting actual dimensions is unlikely. You would probably need to get out a caliper and start measuring.
HSAX Instructor

blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:38 pm

M20_fever wrote:Getting actual dimensions is unlikely. You would probably need to get out a caliper and start measuring.

That's what I figured. I MIGHT be able to convince someone to hand over the OEM dimensions, but after speaking with my professor, I've come up with some ideas that would allow me to take measurements much more easily. He told me not to worry too much about exact measurements. He cares about our ability to use the program, not replicate objects to the exact specification.

(No particular order of preference for me)

a) Turbocharger - pretty simple after looking at a couple models online. There are some methods I'd have to use that I'm still a little unfamiliar with, but otherwise not too bad. I'd have to follow a real-world model pretty closely to keep the solidworks model working.

b) Electro-pneumatic paintball gun - I played paintball A LOT in my early/mid teens. I know these inside and out, so measuring would be easy. Again, some weird geometries, that will require some methods I'm unfamiliar with. Like the turbo, I'd have to stay pretty close to my real-world example to have a decently functional finished product.

c) Guitar - Not super-mechanical, but like the paintball gun, I'm pretty familiar with all the parts.

d) 4 cylinder rotating assembly - Probably the easiest of the group, since I've confirmed dimensions don't have to be true to a real-world model.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:18 pm

Ive been using solidworks for 15+ years and currently administer an enterprise level CAD network, so take my advice for what its worth. Avoid complex curves if your just starting to learn. Stick with simple extrusions and cuts, which will greatly simplify you mating. Feel free to pick my brain of you get stuck.
HSAX Instructor

blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:21 pm

M20_fever wrote:Ive been using solidworks for 15+ years and currently administer an enterprise level CAD network, so take my advice for what its worth. Avoid complex curves if your just starting to learn. Stick with simple extrusions and cuts, which will greatly simplify you mating. Feel free to pick my brain of you get stuck.

Thanks for the offer. I'm sure I'll come across some things I'll need help on - that's why I'm trying to get a head-start on the project. Unfortunately, the class seems to cover quite a bit of material. This is our only required CAD course, whereas other schools have a couple to better space out the material. We've already covered all the material for the CSWA test (extrusions, cuts, drawings) and we're moving on to more advanced features (fasteners, power transmission components, etc.). We're expected to utilize those more advanced features in the project.

I think one of the bigger challenges for something like a turbo would be the complex curves (like the compressor wheel), but speaking with my professor, I'm less worried. The curves need to be appropriate, but not exact. I've downloaded some complete assemblies to use as road maps if I go with the turbo. I sort of doubt I will, as it seems to use the most complex geometry.

Since this has moved away from the M20, I'll make a post in Off-Topic about my progress once I've made my choice and started on the project.

Return to “Engine”