How to: Front IX wheel bearings

From the tranny down to wheel bearings.
ss45466
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

How to: Front IX wheel bearings

Postby ss45466 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:57 pm

IX front wheel bearing replacement w/pics no 56K
I've seen alot of questions on how to do the front bearings and what to use to complete the job. I thought it would help if there were a write up for it. I will get pics up this weekend and finish the write-up. This is the way I do the job, there are many ways to skin a cat, it works for me and I can get the job done in about 30 min. Please let me know if I missed anything?

How to replace front wheel bearings on an IX:

1) Jack up your vehicle and support it on jack stands.
2) Remove the hub cap and wheel and set aside.
3) Remove the lock plate for the axle nut, then the nut itself, have a helper depress the brakes and loosen the nut with a breaker bar or impact.
4) Remove the brake caliper and caliper bracket followed by the rotor. Also remove the wheel speed sensor and place out of the way. Tie the caliper up to keep pressure off of the brake hose. (The tow eyelet works great for this)
5) Loosen the outer ball joint nut and unseat the ball joint then fully remove the ball joint nut. ( should come free with a few blows from a hammer)
6) Slide out the axle from the hub and position off to the side, you do not need to completely remove the axle, it just needs to be out of the way.
7) Attach a slide hammer with hub adapter to the hub and remove the hub. ( I used a hub shark for the process, a slide hammer will do the same thing I forgot I lent it to a friend)

8 ) Remove the snap ring with snap ring pliers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris325IXT
^ Have u ever driven a turbo AWD car? Its like crack, stay on the fence if your not looking for a new addiction
Last edited by ss45466 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ss45466
I <3 E30's

Re: How to: Front IX wheel bearings

Postby ss45466 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:57 pm

9) Attach your bearing puller (In my case a Hub Shark) and remove the bearing, you will want a small adapter on the back side and a large adapter on the front with a spacer big enough to accept the bearing.
10) Clean out the bearing recess removing rust and scale, don't gouge it at all it needs to be smooth.
11) Lubricate the bore and Install your new bearing with the bearing press ( the same Hub Shark with different adapters, One bigger than the bore on the back side and one smaller then the bearing on the front.)
EDIT: It would be a good idea to use an adapter the same size as the bearing, I used one that fit agianst the race. If it were to bind it would possibly damage the bearing. Luckily, cleaning the bore and lubricating it made it go in smooth.
12) Install the snap ring, most bearings come with a new one.
13) Now take the hub and you may have to remove the race on th inner part of the hub. ( I use a chisel being careful not to marr the finish, Or a bearing splitter to remove the race)
14) Install the hub into the bearing with the bearing press (Hub Shark) with a adapter bigger than the opening on the back side and on as big as the hub lip on the outside.

Quote:
^ Have u ever driven a turbo AWD car? Its like crack, stay on the fence if your not looking for a new addiction
Last edited by ss45466 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ss45466
I <3 E30's

Postby ss45466 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:58 pm

15) Now re-install your axle (add some anti-sieze on the splines so you can service it agian without beating the hell out of it to get it off) into the hub and thread the nut onto the outer ball joint, grab a hydraulic jack and lift up on the lower control arm to seat the ball joint and tighten the nut down. (Ball Joint torque spec 65nm (47ft/lb)) and re-install the speed sensor ( I took the time to re-boot my axle while it was out)
16) Re-install the brake rotor and caliper with bracket, use lock-tite ( I use the blue version) (Torque spec. caliper to knuckle 110nm (81ft/lb), guide pin bolts 30-35nm (22-25 ft/lb))
17) Thread the axle nut onto the axle, and tighten it down (you won't be able to fully tighten it just yet.)

18) Re-install your wheel and lower the vehicle back on the ground.
19) Pump up your brake pedal to take up the free space created from removing, and have a helper hold the brakes while you tighten down your axle nut to spec. Install the lock plate. (torque spec. 200nm (148ft/lb))
20) Re-torque your lug bolts to spec and install your hub cap and your almost done. (torque spec. 88-107nm (65-79ft/lb))
21) Test drive the vehicle to verify the repair and make sure you didn't leave anything loose.

Congrats! you have just finished your repair.

Quote:
Last edited by ss45466 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ss45466
I <3 E30's

Postby ss45466 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:59 pm

Will get pics up shortly, brought this over from the tech, I did a writeup there.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:04 pm

stickified!
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
ss45466
I <3 E30's