Trans kaput!

From the tranny down to wheel bearings.
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Re: Trans kaput!

Postby Nsquared97 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:26 am

M20_fever wrote:With that much shifter travel it has to be on the shift carrier assembly.

I have to agree with this, that much slop is just insane. I have little to no movement at all when in gear. How much shifter slpo was there before things broke?

BTW I have a G260 with about 129k on it I could sell ya. It should be in good working order, however the car it came from never ran when I owned it. Shipping would probly suck, but just figured I would throw it out there.
Rick
I <3 E30's

Postby Rick » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:32 am

My shift setup was no spring chicken and I havent done anything to it since i owned the car, but it felt ok, shifted great actually but was on my to do list to rebuild it just to tighten it up.

So it IS in reverse in that video, and the shifter moves that much. And like i say, I reached around the guibo and it all feels hooked up and nothing loose, not like its disconnected from the shift selector shaft or anything.

Well i just have to get it up higher in the air and tear into it.
Rick
I <3 E30's

Postby Rick » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:34 am

Your trans offer is certainly an option and thanks much:) let me delve a little deeper into this and see what comes up though.

How much would you want for it?
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:37 am

Rick wrote:Your trans offer is certainly an option and thanks much:) let me delve a little deeper into this and see what comes up though.

How much would you want for it?

Pfffttt idk, $170 plus shipping? No idea what shipping would be though.

But yeah definitely dig into it a bit deeper and see what you can figure out. Definitely best to locate the source of the problem before you start throwing parts at it when possible.
Rick
I <3 E30's

Postby Rick » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:40 am

Thats a great price and thanks! will take you up on it if it ends up being something I cant fix. @ 129k miles that 120k less than mine has!
Rick
I <3 E30's

Postby Rick » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:46 am

LOL actually its 130k less miles than mine.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:35 am

Your trans will not be the problem, something on the carrier assembly broke the last time you put it into reverse. While you have the trans down it is a good time to change the fluid also. I refilled mine with RedLine MTL and it made night and day difference, I love it. That combined with all new shifter bushings and you will be shocked what it feels like, especially if your used to what we saw in that video, hehe.

-grin-
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
AustinR
I <3 E30's

Postby AustinR » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:05 am

Wait....so you guys have almost no play in the shifter when in any gear?

I just got my shifter "rebuilt" by a shop while they were doing some other work to my car and I have a pretty decent amount of movement in the shifter when it's in gear. I figured that's just how it was...

OP, by the looks of it, I agree with the other guys. Hopefully it's not your trans anyway! haha.
M20_fever wrote:Austin is right.
Nsquared97 wrote:You were right again Austin!
87e30 wrote:Austin is right yet again!

Build Thread
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:57 am

AustinR wrote:Wait....so you guys have almost no play in the shifter when in any gear?

I just got my shifter "rebuilt" by a shop while they were doing some other work to my car and I have a pretty decent amount of movement in the shifter when it's in gear. I figured that's just how it was...

Mine was rebuilt by the PO of my car, and shortly thereafter the car stopped running. So effectively after getting my car running again I had a fresh shifter. I.can't say there is no slop in mine, but not a whole lot. The video Rick posted on the other hand looks looser than... well yeah.

I can take a vid of my shifter if your curious.
AustinR
I <3 E30's

Postby AustinR » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:12 am

Nsquared97 wrote:Mine was rebuilt by the PO of my car, and shortly thereafter the car stopped running. So effectively after getting my car running again I had a fresh shifter. I.can't say there is no slop in mine, but not a whole lot. The video Rick posted on the other hand looks looser than... well yeah.

I can take a vid of my shifter if your curious.

If you would that would be awesome. I'm wondering if the shop I took it to didn't do everything I told them to. I must say, the shifter did feel quite a bit tighter when they were done, so they did something, but it still moves quite a bit in gear.
M20_fever wrote:Austin is right.
Nsquared97 wrote:You were right again Austin!
87e30 wrote:Austin is right yet again!

Build Thread
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:50 pm

It will still have a little play, how much depends on what type of bushings were used. If all stock rubber was used it will have more than if derlin or solid aluminum bushings were used. It also depends on what a shoo considered a "full rebuild" because some kits don't include the bracket that mounts the carrier to the chassis.

Also, the early style stamped carrier will tend to have some flex to it which can contribute to the slop in gear.
HSAX Instructor

Rick
I <3 E30's

Postby Rick » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:21 pm

Well I certainly hope you guys are right and its only the linkage/carrier! Im more a pessimist though lol.

IIRC it did not move that much when it was in gear before this problem, least I dont think it did. it moved some but not like the vid.
Rick
I <3 E30's

Postby Rick » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:20 am

I'm about ready to angle grinder an access hatch right above the shift selector joint. -grin-

Peerless said it could be a collar that slid off the selector link and jammed it up in reverse, god i hope so, it shifts so nice it would suck to have to get another tranny. Part #13 maybe come loose and went forward and fell down on the shaft, not allowing it to return out of gear.

I mean what could it hurt? just need to fab a cover to screw it in place. shift linkage service port. lol. Lame idea?
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:44 am

#15 is what I figured fell out, and that collar would have to have come off for that to happen. I love when I come to the same conclusion as Robert, he knows his shit. :-)
HSAX Instructor

Rick
I <3 E30's

Postby Rick » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:10 pm

Good theory, now lets see if thats what it is!

Return to “Drive Line”