Nick's brake issues thread.

From the tranny down to wheel bearings.
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Nick's brake issues thread.

Postby Nsquared97 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:15 am

Alright, so aparently my front brake pads are gone. Like no pad material left, gone. I had been planning on refreshing the whole braking system this summer, but it looks like I am going to have to tackle it now, for the fronts at least. I am mainly curious what you guys have used for pads, I am wanting something that will stand up to aduse for autoXing, but preferably that doesn't squeal or create a whole lot of dust. Also plan on rebuilding the front caliper's using Yoshi's rebuild video, and paint them. Last thing I having the spare set of rotors I have turned and throw them on.
Last edited by Nsquared97 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Re: Educate me on brake pads

Postby M20_fever » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:54 am

Hawk HP+ are great hybrid pads that work well on the street and perform well for autox duty. That is what I currently run and they have held up well. I can probably get another season out of them.

If you plan to use them on the street and at single run autox events you don't want a full race pad that needs to be heated up to function fully.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
ten2doyle102
I <3 E30's

Educate me on brake pads

Postby ten2doyle102 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:57 am

Hp+ is what i have for 318 and I had them on my rx7 kit for my old 325ix. They were pretty awesome!

Dusting was higher with them of course, but that is the nature of the beast.
ss45466
I <3 E30's

Postby ss45466 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:47 pm

I've also used hawk Hp+ on my other vehicles, it's a great double duty pad.

I would advise you not to turn your rotors tho- thinner rotor used hard will warp that much quicker. That and I NEVER turn german rotors ( bmw, mbz, audi, vw, porsche, ect...) Always leads to a comeback.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:42 pm

subscribed.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:26 pm

I am planning on switching to a more aggressive pad in the rear to help the biased a bit since the rx kit seems to throw it off s little. I figure hp+ front and ht10 rear should be a nice combo. If that doesn't make me happy i'll have to install and adjustable biased valve.
HSAX Instructor

Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:19 pm

Thanks for the input guys. HP+ was definitely on my list, although I may just go with the HPS for now after looking into it. Car needs a fair bit of work before really being autoX worthy, and I'm not sure I want to put up with the dust of the HP+ if I'm not really using the extra bite they have. And Tony I completely agree, don't want a pad that takes a lot of heat to work, this is still a DD that see's winter/snow duty, no need for track pads.

SS454, I did check the thickness and they are definitely within spec according to the Bentley to have machined. I do agree with you that they will be more likely to warp with less material though. Just out of curiousity, why would you never turn German rotors specifically?
ss45466
I <3 E30's

Postby ss45466 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:21 pm

Yes they do list a min. thickness, but I don't turn them. Usually if a customer doesn't want to buy new rotors and they are in spec I will do a pad slap (with a disclamer about noise). I have had every single one come back with noise, grinding, and warpage. Mostly because the rotor has formed a profile along the contact area and when you put on new "flat" pads they have to wear to the shape of the rotor. Which makes some interesting things happen, like "hot spots" or "blue-ing" -the contact of the pad only hits a small portion until it fully wears to the rotor profile and generates more heat in a small area. Which also leads to warpage. Just my personal preference of not having a comeback, and customers who are happy without any brake noises.

On a side note, I had to redo a customers brake job on a C320 MBZ because they turned the rotors and replaced the wheel seals, the seals had the reluctor in them for the wheel speed sensors, unavailable separately from the whole hub assembly but you can get seals @ an auto parts store. That was a $1200 mistake.
mvrk10256
I <3 E30's

Postby mvrk10256 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:29 am

Hawk is garbage. Get stoptech pads. For a good deal get ahold of Anthony. bimmerbrakes@gmail.com

We have had several cars running hawks convert to stoptech and be completely shocked what the stock brakes are capable off. Everyone who drives my car is very impressed. In fact its one of the reasons i have been holding off on a BBK.
-Maksim

Need a project for the weekend? Search "MVRK" - 11 Sticky DIY's and counting....
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:42 am

Gaahh Tire Rack just shipped out my order for the HPS today... Oh well, when it comes time to upgrade I will have to check Stoptech out. What pads are you using exactly?
mvrk10256
I <3 E30's

Postby mvrk10256 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:53 am

Nsquared97 wrote:Gaahh Tire Rack just shipped out my order for the HPS today... Oh well, when it comes time to upgrade I will have to check Stoptech out. What pads are you using exactly?

Just be careful. Even had one friend whose cars braking got worse and worse as he wore the pads in. Got to the poiint car was unsafe to drive. We bolted in a set of stoptechs and all is well.

Stoptech StreetPerformance pads

http://bimmerbrakes.com/site/product_in ... ucts_id/51
-Maksim

Need a project for the weekend? Search "MVRK" - 11 Sticky DIY's and counting....
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:17 am

Ehh I have heard plenty of good reviews for Hawk, even if they are in fact inferior to Stoptech I highly doubt they won't work at all. Did he bed the brakes properly when switching pads? That could make a bit of difference, although not to the point of the car being unable to stop safely.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:29 am

I've been running Hawks for years, anyone telling you they stop working when they get some wear is either lying or has something wrong with their brakes. I'm sure Stoptechs are fine, but if your doing any real tracking stock brakes won't cut it, period.
HSAX Instructor

mvrk10256
I <3 E30's

Postby mvrk10256 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:58 am

to be honest, the braking on his car got worse and worse. Literally t the point where it was not safe to drive the car. We pulled the calipers, booster was fine, fresh fluid, all the same. Then i noticed there was a weird film on the rotors. Swapped pads, problem went away completely. Might have been a defective product.

As far as tracking goes, I do 8 AutoX runs and i have brake fade near the end, but its not terrible. Yes i really should go with RX7 upgrade or similar but it has not been done. :shrugs:
-Maksim

7pilot
E30 Guy

Postby 7pilot » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:48 am

mvrk10256 wrote:to be honest, the braking on his car got worse and worse. Literally t the point where it was not safe to drive the car. We pulled the calipers, booster was fine, fresh fluid, all the same. Then i noticed there was a weird film on the rotors. Swapped pads, problem went away completely. Might have been a defective product.

As far as tracking goes, I do 8 AutoX runs and i have brake fade near the end, but its not terrible. Yes i really should go with RX7 upgrade or similar but it has not been done. :shrugs:

If the rotors were not changed, then the problem was with the pad deposit on the old rotors being incompatible with the Hawk pad material.

It is best to replace rotors when changing pad brand. Also upgrade the fluid. Especially if you are going to track the car.

m

Return to “Drive Line”