Nick's brake issues thread.

From the tranny down to wheel bearings.
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Re: Educate me on brake pads

Postby Nsquared97 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:41 pm

ss45466 wrote:I've also used hawk Hp+ on my other vehicles, it's a great double duty pad.

I would advise you not to turn your rotors tho- thinner rotor used hard will warp that much quicker. That and I NEVER turn german rotors ( bmw, mbz, audi, vw, porsche, ect...) Always leads to a comeback.

Just figured I would post this here for anyone who reads this in the future, he's right haha. I started noticing this not long after I put them on the car, but the turned rotors definitely warped, even though they looked almost new before I turned them. So take his advice and just get new rotors haha.
ten2doyle102
I <3 E30's

Postby ten2doyle102 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:15 pm

Yessir! And new rotors aren't really that pricey either! :)
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:22 pm

I dont turn mine either, I just keep doing pad slaps until there's nothing left.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
ss45466
I <3 E30's

Postby ss45466 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:21 pm

Nsquared97 wrote:
ss45466 wrote:I've also used hawk Hp+ on my other vehicles, it's a great double duty pad.

I would advise you not to turn your rotors tho- thinner rotor used hard will warp that much quicker. That and I NEVER turn german rotors ( bmw, mbz, audi, vw, porsche, ect...) Always leads to a comeback.

Just figured I would post this here for anyone who reads this in the future, he's right haha. I started noticing this not long after I put them on the car, but the turned rotors definitely warped, even though they looked almost new before I turned them. So take his advice and just get new rotors haha.

I feel like Yoshi now LOL!!!

-grin-
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:41 pm

Haha I figured it was only right I gave you credit, and hopefully help others out in the future.
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Re: Educate me on brake pads Edit: New issue, any ideas?

Postby Nsquared97 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:10 pm

Alright guys, so here's an update. As I mentioned, the front rotors warped. The rear rotors/pads were in dire need to replacing as well, so I ordered new Brembo blanks for all 4 corners, and a set of HPS pads for the rears to match what I have up front. Installed all of that yesterday (as well as a new guibo). Went to bed the brakes in last night, and the 3rd time I got on the brake I started to hear this loud clunking coming from the right front wheel. Only does it under braking, with a fair amount of pressure. I have taken that wheel off 4 times today trying to figure out what the problem is, made sure the brake pads are in right, rotor looks fine, etc. Cannot figure out what the issue is. The only thing that changed from before is the rotor and the set screw that holds it in, that's it/ Also checked to make sure the wheel isn't hitting the caliper for some reason, and it isn't.

Any ideas?

Edit, going to try and get a GoPro video, we'll see if it can pick up the sound or not.
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:38 pm

Alright here's the video. You may have to turn up the volume a bit, but just listen when I hit the brakes.

ss45466
I <3 E30's

Postby ss45466 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:51 pm

Kinda sounds like the caliper bracket is loose. And did you clean off any scale or rust on the hub before putting the new rotor on? Thats my best guess without taking it apart to get a closer look.
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:55 pm

Caliper bracket is good and tight, I have had it on and off the car 3 times today trying to figure this out. I did take some steel wool to the hub just to try and clean it up, you think maybe that made it made the surface not flat somehow?
ss45466
I <3 E30's

Postby ss45466 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:08 am

Steel wool wouldn't distort the hub. does the rotor sit completely flush on the hub "locator" ring?
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:11 am

when you pulled the wheel off did you pull the caliper and look to see if there are any obvious spots the rotor is rubbing on the caliper?
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:20 am

pull everything apart and post pictures. how's your wheel bearing?
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:30 am

Just pulled it all apart again, everything still looks fine. Put one of the old rotors back on, and the problem is gone, so it has to be an issue with the new rotor. Only thing I noticed is that with the set screw in the new rotor, the lug holes in the rotor aren't quite lined up with the holes in the hub. Not off by much, but just a bit. I am tempted to run it without that screw in just to see if it centers itself maybe? I have read of people running without that screw in, is there anything dangerous/bad about it? If this solves it I am calling Brembo tomorrow morning and seeing if they will send me a replacement.
AustinR
I <3 E30's

Postby AustinR » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:33 am

I'm running now set screws in the front. Driver's side set screw hole is stripped out/rusted. Passenger side has a broken off set screw in it already. haha.
The lug bolts hold the rotor in place. I'd try it without the set screws.
M20_fever wrote:Austin is right.
Nsquared97 wrote:You were right again Austin!
87e30 wrote:Austin is right yet again!

Build Thread
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:37 am

ss45466 wrote:Steel wool wouldn't distort the hub. does the rotor sit completely flush on the hub "locator" ring?

Yup, sits just like it should.
M20_fever wrote:when you pulled the wheel off did you pull the caliper and look to see if there are any obvious spots the rotor is rubbing on the caliper?

I checked that before, but I will take another look when I go back out there. Before I was mainly checking for caliper to wheel run issues, not so much caliper to rotor rubbing.
Yoshi wrote:pull everything apart and post pictures. how's your wheel bearing?

Will do if my set screw theory isn't correct. Wheel bearing seem fine, doesn't make any noise or anything, no play that I can tell. Now the left rear bearing, that one makes some noise lol.

Return to “Drive Line”