Removing rear wheels.. duh.. what's the trick..

From the tranny down to wheel bearings.
vvurdsmyth
E30 Guy
AntiSpam: No

Re: Removing rear wheels.. duh.. what's the trick..

Postby vvurdsmyth » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:06 am

yah Nsquared97, on one front rotor I had to use the wheel puller and torch to free it up.. and thanks guys for the heads up on removing the rear rotors; looks like getting the large wheel puller was a good idea; and I'm going to put things back together with a light smear of the Teflon grease... planning to do a complete rear job someday, bushings, M swaybars, Konis, new CV joints, and if I can afford it, a limited slip diff'.. Thanks again guys.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:44 am

The stock rims are hubcentric so there's this little circular nub that sticks out of the wheel hub when you finally get the wheel off. over the years, it rusts. Basically, sand that part down so it's back to shiny metal, put some molly lube on it, and call it a day.
vvurdsmyth
E30 Guy

Postby vvurdsmyth » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:35 pm

Thank you Yoshi, you confirm that what I did was right; used steel wool to clean the hub and inside the wheel; using a light smear of red Teflon grease for things like this; the good thing that happened here was the consensus that just removing the lug nuts was all that was necessary, the wheel puller did the rest; it must have been many years since the rear wheels were off for them to be stuck on there that tight.. good thing I had the wheel puller, no amount of pounding would have done it.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:53 pm

I did the same thing with my E46. It also doesn't help when shops use impacts to get the wheels back on. I had to heat up my hub and let penetrating lube sit on the wheel over a night before it would come off.
87e30
I <3 E30's

Postby 87e30 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:43 am

vvurdsmyth wrote:figured if it was rusted with road dust + rust, pounding it would not work too well

From my personal experience pounding is the best way to unstick rusted on wheels. But use whatever way works for you. Next time make sure you're hitting the inside of the wheel to force it away from the car. Putting a block of wood against the wheel will protect it from getting bent up by the hammer. Also turn the wheel a little bit after each hit so you're forcing different areas away each time.
Schwarz 5-speed 87 325is (newest project)
Arktisblau 5-speed 86 325e (current DD)
Schwarz 5-speed 87 325e (parts car/LS1 swap?)
Gazellenbeige automatic 85 318i (70,000 miles)
Alpine white 5-speed 87 325is (my first e30, possibly for sale)
99 Suburban
vvurdsmyth
E30 Guy

Postby vvurdsmyth » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:45 pm

Thank you 87e30, haa, been there, done that.. those wheels were not coming off in any conventional way; who knows how many years of winter road salt, rust on the hub and road dust were complicating things; it took loosening the lug nuts just a bit and driving it around the block to get the slightest hint of movement.. and then the guys here saying there is nothing else holding the wheel (not the axle nut, nothing else).. even with the wheel puller it took an hour to tease it off; cleaning the hub & wheel, then a thin smear of Teflon grease will help insure an easier 'next time' (~:

Return to “Drive Line”