Changing Seal on Output Shaft of Getrag 260?

From the tranny down to wheel bearings.
dmcl
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Changing Seal on Output Shaft of Getrag 260?

Postby dmcl » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:05 pm

long story short i was out a roadtrip today and somehow the car managed to snag the reverse switch wiring and wrap it around the output, damaging the seal in the process so now its pissing out brand new gear oil from the rear seal.

what i want to know is how do i change the seal and can it be done on the car or is it a box out job?
Yoshi
Site Admin

Re: Changing Seal on Output Shaft of Getrag 260?

Postby Yoshi » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:11 pm

I think you can do it while the tranny is in the car but I don't know how to do it. plz take pix and document!
dmcl
I <3 E30's

Postby dmcl » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:17 pm

dont think ill be DIYing it too lazy/fed up/annoyed unless its easy enough to do.

what i dont know is how does the output shaft come out? cant see anything obvious around it which is making me think it could be a box out job and having to disassemble the rear portion of the box.
dmcl
I <3 E30's

Postby dmcl » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:28 pm

ok think i have the lowdown on how to do this now..

i posted the question on a few forums. someone got back to me saying that yes it can be done on the car, remove driveshaft, remove yoke on output shaft with impact wrench, pull old seal, push in new seal and refit everything.

think ill DIY this since it doesnt seem too big a task. hopefully the weather is decent this weekend because im working all week so wont get any time to work on it till then.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:28 pm

IIRC (don't quote me here) theres a codder pin and a 32mm nut on the back of the output shaft once you get the guibo and drive shaft off. Search on E30tech. Peerless did it once and took pix.
dmcl
I <3 E30's

Postby dmcl » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:31 pm

cotter pin u mean? lol :P

i never noticed any pins on my box.. only the nut and trust me i was looking at it long enough before getting round to fitting it to the car lol

now just need to find out what the nut sghould be torqued down to once refitted.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:33 pm

yea cotter. whatever lol. I could be thinking of something else. maybe axles... *shrugs* bad memory.
dmcl
I <3 E30's

Postby dmcl » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:42 pm

maybe later/earlier cars had cotter pins? who knows lol

never noticed one on my box tho. also just thinking.. the nut definately isnt 32mm. maybe ur thinking of a hub/hub nut? think when i changed the hub nut on my old E36 im pretty sure it was 32mm. didnt have a cotter pin tho but did have a lip that u bash in with a hammer to stop the nut from loosening.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:52 pm

yea im probably thinking of axles. I did a wheel bearing job a bit ago
dmcl
I <3 E30's

Postby dmcl » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:58 pm

well i got the exhaust off, heat shield off, bearing carrier loosened and started on the prop bolts behind the gearbox. not bad for a couple hours on axle stands. going to have to get the back end off the ground so i can turn the prop to get the rest of the bolts out. should have the prop off tomorrow after work then just gotta order the new seal and fit it this weekend.

i ended up pulling off the full exhaust, was gonna remove the DPs from the manifold but couldnt get at the rear bolt so dropped the manifold too. having all that stuff off really makes me want to get a 6 branch manifold and throw out the cast OEM one..
Dontrusthise30
I <3 E30's

Postby Dontrusthise30 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:04 pm

Reviving an old thread- I'm replacing the seal rear seal, when I install the new one should I use anything to hold the seal in? When I installed the front and rear crank seals in my new engine, I used permatex high tack gasket sealant. Any need for this?

Return to “Drive Line”