Yoshi's Differential Rebuild/mod (pre)write up

From the tranny down to wheel bearings.
Rick
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Re: Yoshi's Differential Rebuild/mod (pre)write up

Postby Rick » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:53 pm

A nice thing to add if your beating the piss out of your diff that you put much money and effort into would be a real cooler setup.

Like this one VAC sells, but can be pieced together for less

A 12v oil gear pump, plumbing and a small cooler core can be done for ~$250 with some good shopping. Add a temp switch and a relay and it can be made to come on automatically 8)

Thats about the cost for the M finned cover, and surely will work better.

Thinking out loud, lol
Rick
I <3 E30's

Postby Rick » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:51 pm

Just thought I would add this consideration to this rebuild thread. From Metric Mechanic:

After 100,000 miles the most frequent complaint is one of leakage, which is better off left alone unless you intend to completely rebuild. For instance, if you remove the nut and flange to replace a leaking front seal, there is no possible way to tighten the flange nut sufficiently without overloading the pinion shaft bearings. There is a 'crush-collar' between the two tapered roller bearings on the pinion shaft that allows the nut to be tightened (over 200 ft. lbs.) without applying this force to the bearings themselves. Setting the clearance for the pinion bearings and adjusting the ring gear pinion backlash are, at times, somewhat exacting tasks and are therefore risky enough to discourage most mechanics from rebuilding.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:32 pm

I like the idea of the cooler. It's just out of my price range right now. I will probably do it in the future.

I guess your last post is about the pinion bearing? Yea.. I'm so scared to do that one. oh well.
Dtoxx-e30
E30 Guy

Postby Dtoxx-e30 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:27 am

so i randomly found this video on u tube and i would like to say great job i will be doing this very soon
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:27 pm

Thumbs up homie! It's really really easy to do. I'd love to do the oil cooler one day. When my car drives on its own power.
higginie
n00b

Postby higginie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:52 am

Hi, found your video and write ups very helpfull, thanks for sharing this info :) . i compete with an e30 in rallysprints here in ireland, bought a 188 lsd few years ago and rebuilt it just to the standard spec with a 4.45 cwp, this worked fine for me until lately when it felt very worn, stripped it down got the ramp angles modified for 40% lock i was just going to put it back together with standard 2 friction plates until i found lots of people having good things to say about the 4 plate conversion so think its time to go this route. im not planning on using the ceramic disks or 2.1mm dog ear plates because afraid i already have 4 standard clutch packs bought. my question is how much material should i have removed from the end cap?? noticed you removed 4mm here but are you using all 4 dog ear plates 2.1mm?? so therefore should my diff work nice and tight if i remove 3.6mm because im using all standard plates?? any help would be greatly appreciated,thanks...liam
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:21 pm

welcome!

Yea really I could have gotten away with 3.6mm. I was worried the over shimming would have caused too much lock and I'd want to get something with less lock. I figured I could always remove the material and add thicker disks if necessary. I think I only used 2 2.1mm plates though. Instead of 4. I don't recall.

I did get an email from some guy that managed 4 clutch packs with no machining but I bet that's essentially a locked differential anyway.

Can you post up pictures of the modified ramp angles and how you came to the conclusion of that amount? Also explanation of the process of how to mod them would be nice too.
higginie
n00b

Postby higginie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:05 pm

Ok cheers, i compete on some gravel events too, with diff too tight on that i could have understear problems, think ill try removing 3.8mm if you used 2 2.1mm plates and are happy with how it works it should be about the same??? dont want it to be too tight it rains alot here and greasey tracks are common, at least if its too lose i could slip in 1 or 2 2.1 plates. how much break away torque did you have before you fitted it do you know?? as for the modified ramp angles im not doing that myself,there are a few people here that do that work and im waiting to get mine back, wasnt able to find any thing about what the actual angles are, looks like not many give out that info..... look here http://www.e30owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12595
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:21 pm

ah gotcha.

I never did measure breakaway torque so I don't know. I do know I never had understeer issues and I feel like I could have definitely shimmed MUCH more. I'm actually very happy with how my diff turned out all around. drives like factory.
higginie
n00b

Postby higginie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:53 pm

right, maybe ill take off less somthing like 3.4mm then, what you think?? would be safest removing less could try it and decide if it needs more taken off, got a lathe myself to work on end cap nd all, suppose that would be less annoying than removing too much and having to make shims r something
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:56 am

Up to you man lol.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:59 pm

I keep thinking about making a new thread with just sticky information but man I should just sticky the thread as is. I keep coming back to it to redo my own research. It's already got everything I need whenever I do another rebuild and forget the part numbers.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:23 pm

Done.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
lpa12
n00b

Postby lpa12 » Tue May 26, 2015 9:16 am

I didn't think bmw made torsens. Thats new to me
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue May 26, 2015 11:28 am

Yes. Thank you random poster. Later models IIRC come with torsens. not 100%

But on an unrelated note: http://www.amazon.com/Amarine-Made-Scav ... 1FWKXD49NP

$80 for a pump... do some wiring. Cool diff for $100?

Return to “Drive Line”