Recommend me a set up for my cabrio

Springs and shocks. What keeps your car tight around corners?
glucklich21
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Recommend me a set up for my cabrio

Postby glucklich21 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:37 am

So since I'm finishing up the drivetrain, suspension work is up next. I want this car to be capable of anything I want to do. So this means autox, spirited drives on back roads, and maybe even a drift event once and a while. My friends are into that last one, so I have to at least give it a shot. :)

Here's what I've come up with.

-Ground Control coil over conversions- 475F 650R (Trying to compensate a bit for the heavy motor)

-Koni Adjustable (or something cheaper depending on how the budget goes)

-Camber plate recommendations?

-Power flex bushings where applicable

-E46 control arms with AKG lollipops <- I want opinions on this. Clearance = good, but how does it affect the handing?

-E90 tire rods if I do the E46 control arms

-HD rear shock mounts

-Sway size?

-Sparco strut bar

-X-brace recommendations?

-Bolt in half cage in the future

Opinions/thoughts/etc?
Last edited by glucklich21 on Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Re: Recommend me a set up for my cabrio

Postby Yoshi » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:55 pm

remind me to get to this tomorrow. too busy today to write a coherent response.
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Postby pr0craztinazn » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:27 pm

You need to post a budget... this is critical for determining what you can do. Most places will want some sort of roll bar or cage for a vert to hit the track, but I'm not up on what E30 guys use to be legal. This would be something to ask on one of the other E30 boards.

Ground Control's plates are pretty good, but I haven't been able to compare their stack height to the Vorschlags. Yoshi?

The coilover conversion from GC goes best with Koni dampers, as you can adjust them to dial the car in to how you want it to feel. The J-stock rates (680lbs/in front, 1026lbs/in rear) are a bit stiff but give you the most grip on surfaces that aren't very uneven; properly valved dampers alleviate much of the jarring feeling people complain about with those rates.

Unless you need a lot of steering angle, the E46 front control arms aren't absolutely necessary.

I am not a fan of super stiff poly (75d or stiffer) bushings in the rear trailing arms because they are more prone to binding, but they work well elsewhere. Solid mount the diff and use poly for the subframe for some NVH isolation.

Definitely ditch the rear sway bar; the vert 21mm front bar + M3 style end link attachment should suffice with J-stock or similar spring rates.
glucklich21
I <3 E30's

Postby glucklich21 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:56 am

Hmm let's say $1500 for everything excluding rear sub frame bushings.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:00 pm

vorshlags are dumb. If you want track use, don't even bother with non coilover kits.

1500 is on the cheap side. My suggestion is to get the GC kit. It comes with the camber/caster plates, premodded spindles, rsm bushings for the rear, on top of all the other crap you want. But it's $1700 and doesn't touch sways or control arms just yet. IMO it's a great place to start.

Haven't had a problem with my 75D binding in the back :). The alternative is a softer compound that will deflect more but stress and bind easier.

Return to “Suspension”