bilstein vs kyb

Springs and shocks. What keeps your car tight around corners?
-LSD-
E30 Guy
AntiSpam: No

bilstein vs kyb

Postby -LSD- » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:10 am

hey guys, so im kind of noob in e30s, i was a 240 guy for a really long time but decided to make a switch. So any way...
Im trying to put together my suspension set up for the rear, so far i welded on some spring perches onto the control arm and running 1000lb springs. I researched for quiet some time and now im stuck im between two brands...
Bilstein hd - monotube design, digressive shock, proven to last long and judging from what ppl say stiff and reliable.
Kyb agx - twin tube, digressive shock, heard a lot of good things, had some experience with them on a 240, and they are adjustable, unlike bilstein.
So... Its monotube vs adjustabilty. Price range is very close to be the same, within 10 bucks, so its really a matter of choosing one. Who had any experience with them, plz guide me. Im not sure what to choose.
Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.

Alex
Alex K.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Re: bilstein vs kyb

Postby M20_fever » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:06 pm

Im not familiar with the kyb shock, but I can tell you the Bilstein HDs are WAY under valved for a rear spring rate of 1k. What springs are you running? Pics of your setup? Why did you need to weld perches on the swing arms? Im running J-Stocks with 1080 in the rear and I got the matched J-Stock Bilsteins, might want to look into those. You can also get some blown Bilstein Sports and send then to Bilstein to get them revalved to your spring rates for around $70 IIRC.

welcome to e3p, let's see some pics of your ride!
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:28 pm

The problem with either shock is that neither are strong enough for 1k springs in the back. Eh. I run 18k on koni's revalved
ten2doyle102
I <3 E30's

Postby ten2doyle102 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:33 pm

I am curious to see the rear setup as well. Sounds interesting. :)

I have Billy sports on my car with the GC kit. The springs are set at 450f/650r and that's too much for the shocks. I'll be looking at koni's next year.
-LSD-
E30 Guy

Postby -LSD- » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:41 pm

okay so it looks like i need custom valving, unfortunately i don't understand anything in that area. I had eibach springs (well still do in the front) with bilstein shocks - oem replacement...it sucked. Car was leaning too much...so i was bored one day, and started looking at designs of the shocks for the rear at work (ford) found out i can fit e350 van shocks on my e30 without any mods. So i picked up 2 for 40 bucks, and figured it wont hurt. I was surprised with the result, ride got stiffer, firmer. It was a nice upgrade after half blown billis. But when i put new springs in...holly s#*t. It got really bouncy. I really don't enjoy driving the car at the moment. So i need to find an alternative. And as i can see everything i found out so far is useless. I did find one website they sell billis (for gm product if im not mistaking so thy will need to be modified) with a big variety of valving. But i have no idea what i need (still around 120$ ea). So i really need help with figuring out my valving so i can finally be done with rear setup.
Ill post up some pics with description of springs/perches once i get to my pc. Can't figure out the phone
so i looked at the jstock, the price isn't that bad. Do they sell them with different valving, i looks on turner motorsport, they don't have anything to pick from. 300$ i think is doable. Im a broke student lol so im cheap in a way...
Alex K.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:08 pm

If you have 1000lb rates in the rear the inverted J-Stock shocks would be pretty much perfect since the J-Stock springs are 1060lb rate. Running that high if rates in the rear with eibachs up front is probably going to make.for some goofy handling characteristics though. Eibachs are really soft. Your going to.want at least a 550-650 rate up front, im running 750 and still get decent front body roll in hard cornering.
HSAX Instructor

-LSD-
E30 Guy

Postby -LSD- » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:32 pm

M20_fever wrote:If you have 1000lb rates in the rear the inverted J-Stock shocks would be pretty much perfect since the J-Stock springs are 1060lb rate. Running that high if rates in the rear with eibachs up front is probably going to make.for some goofy handling characteristics though. Eibachs are really soft. Your going to.want at least a 550-650 rate up front, im running 750 and still get decent front body roll in hard cornering.

im getting 800 (should i go with 750?) for the front but im going to make coilover set up. And again its either celica kyb inserts, or revalved ix billis, these are only 2 choices I've seen which are 2 inches shorter then stock.
So correct me if im wrong... Jstock shocks which they sell on turner is the same shocks you are running with 1080. So i should be good with them.

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention, i drift this car, if it makes any difference.
Alex K.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:12 pm

Yep, I'm running the full J-Stock setup minus the sways. Can't comment on the drifting since I don't drift (intentionally).
HSAX Instructor

-LSD-
E30 Guy

Postby -LSD- » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:24 pm

M20_fever wrote:Yep, I'm running the full J-Stock setup minus the sways. Can't comment on the drifting since I don't drift (intentionally).

thanks alot i really appreciate your input. I guess ill just save up 300 and be done with this headache
Alex K.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:16 pm

Yeah, when you run rates that high your pretty limited on proper shock selection.
HSAX Instructor

-LSD-
E30 Guy

Postby -LSD- » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:44 pm

M20_fever wrote:Yeah, when you run rates that high your pretty limited on proper shock selection.

that's not very good. Do you know by any chance if jstock makes front inserts for ix? If so ill just get that for my front coilover set up. Also, do they have a website where i can order them? Im assuming they sell shocks with different valving, but stuff they sell on turner doesn't have any choice to pick from. Where did you buy your set up? I want to make sure i buy correct shocks first time, they aren't that cheap =D
Alex K.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:56 am

I bought them from Turner's website. These are conventional springs, not coil overs. They don't offer them for IXs either, didn't realize you were AWD. Turner can get them in a couple different valving rates if you call them since you can order custom spring rates, but the standard are the 750/1080 they list on the website.

What's your total budget for the suspension? Have you looked at GC or Cosmo?
HSAX Instructor

-LSD-
E30 Guy

Postby -LSD- » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:22 am

M20_fever wrote:I bought them from Turner's website. These are conventional springs, not coil overs. They don't offer them for IXs either, didn't realize you were AWD. Turner can get them in a couple different valving rates if you call them since you can order custom spring rates, but the standard are the 750/1080 they list on the website.

What's your total budget for the suspension? Have you looked at GC or Cosmo?

well i have an is(awd no bueno for drift lol) i just want to get shorter inserts so i can cut my strut housing shorter and weld in threaded pipe with collars, use 800 coilover springs and gc camber plates.
I guess im just gonna order rear jstock shocks from turner. So my rear set up will be complete.
My budget doesn't really exist, i buy stuff for the car whenever i have a little extra money from side jobs and what not. But im slowly saving up. I crunched the numbers and figured full set up will run me 1200 +- 100. It probably would be easier to just buy gc kit and install it, but i want to put together my own thing, that way i know im getting what i want, not what they sell you.
Never heard of cosmo, ill look into it. Thanks for the info.
Alex K.
-LSD-
E30 Guy

Postby -LSD- » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:46 am

so i read some reviews of cosmos, doesn't look like something i would benefit from. Mb just a Camber plates, pretty cheap, but no caster adjustment. So i guess it'll depends on how much ill be able to spend.
Alex K.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:14 pm

You'll be happy with the J-Stock shocks. You would need to call them to confim how much, but the front jstock shocks are shortened so you can cut your strut tube some, just not sure how much. For the rates you want to run the jstock shocks sound perfect for you.
HSAX Instructor

Return to “Suspension”