bilstein vs kyb

Springs and shocks. What keeps your car tight around corners?
-LSD-
E30 Guy
AntiSpam: No

Re: bilstein vs kyb

Postby -LSD- » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:46 pm

M20_fever wrote:You'll be happy with the J-Stock shocks. You would need to call them to confim how much, but the front jstock shocks are shortened so you can cut your strut tube some, just not sure how much. For the rates you want to run the jstock shocks sound perfect for you.

yep i pretty much decided to get em. Sounds like i won't get any closer with other stuff, jstock it is.
Thanks for your help good sir.
Alex K.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:53 pm

oh yea. J stock uses uber mega high rates. that would work.
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:19 pm

For $1200 can't you get a GC coilover setup? IMO that would be the way to, then swapping out springs is way cheaper/easier.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:58 pm

I thought it was more than 1200. The BC setup is 1200 with weld on strut inserts.
ponycarman
I <3 E30's

Postby ponycarman » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:20 pm

Yeah I was thinking gc was more like 1800 now. But I could be wrong

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
1986 325es
1995 525i
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:10 pm

the full GC kit is 1700 right meow. But that's premodded struts
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:54 pm

Oh wow, didn't realize they were that much.
-LSD-
E30 Guy

Postby -LSD- » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:59 pm

well originally looking at the prices, i figured ill be a smartass and make my own set up for half a price....well i was wrong, lol. But at least i get spring rates that i need, shocks to match, height adj... So its worth a trouble i think.
Alex K.
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Postby pr0craztinazn » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:44 am

Off the shelf AGXs in every application I've ever used them in are worthless once your spring rates exceed 6k/350lbs-ish. If you plan on using them with 8k springs, they will die quickly. 10k? :lol:

There are a ton of shops that will revalve Bilsteins, but by the time that cost is factored in with the cost of the damper, you could've just bought an off the shelf Koni twin- or mono-tube damper valved from their factory that can be adjusted to handle that by you. If you want the car to handle better than a set of terribly mismatched components. $1100ish shipped buys front & rear valved to spec E30 dampers from Ground Control. There are east coast Bilstein rebuilders that can rebuild the E30 dampers to suit for ~$160/damper plus shipping to and from, plus whatever the cost of Bilsteins are nowadays, and it's about the same cost in the end as the Konis, except the Konis have some adjustment range.
-LSD-
E30 Guy

Postby -LSD- » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:19 am

pr0craztinazn wrote:Off the shelf AGXs in every application I've ever used them in are worthless once your spring rates exceed 6k/350lbs-ish. If you plan on using them with 8k springs, they will die quickly. 10k? :lol:

There are a ton of shops that will revalve Bilsteins, but by the time that cost is factored in with the cost of the damper, you could've just bought an off the shelf Koni twin- or mono-tube damper valved from their factory that can be adjusted to handle that by you. If you want the car to handle better than a set of terribly mismatched components. $1100ish shipped buys front & rear valved to spec E30 dampers from Ground Control. There are east coast Bilstein rebuilders that can rebuild the E30 dampers to suit for ~$160/damper plus shipping to and from, plus whatever the cost of Bilsteins are nowadays, and it's about the same cost in the end as the Konis, except the Konis have some adjustment range.

Can i get a bit more info on konis? where to get, and what valving will suit my application. thx
Alex K.
-LSD-
E30 Guy

Postby -LSD- » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:42 am

Im sorry it took a while..but here we go...
car when i first got it was really clean, on the fifth day of owning it, i managed to hug a tree with it...it was bad, but fixable...so after another 1k in the body shop, everything got pulled out...and this is what i got
got a white door for cheap so i just put that on and called it a day.
this is how it was sitting (oem replacement billies all around + eibach springs) too soft, i didnt like it.
went to the drift event at Infenion. with same soft set up. did pretty good. but didnt like it at all.
as you can see the car is leaning like stupid...no bueno.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AmH43k5c0E&feature=plcp
you can see how jumpy the ride is from this low quality video =)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3GxE4_X7n4&feature=plcp
struggling pretty bad...
Anyway...after my disappointment i decided to start work on the suspension.

For those who was wondering about my rear set up.
here we go
this is really all it is. camaro adjusters, with camaro springs. Just weld them on top of the control arm and used some double sided tape on the spring so it doesnt move when suspension decompresses.
right here you can see lowest setting. car sitting on the tires. need lower profile
Cheap, yes, but again its just springs, so i dont mind.
Alex K.
-LSD-
E30 Guy

Postby -LSD- » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:01 am

pr0craztinazn wrote:Off the shelf AGXs in every application I've ever used them in are worthless once your spring rates exceed 6k/350lbs-ish. If you plan on using them with 8k springs, they will die quickly. 10k? :lol:

i found some info about konis, and almost everyone says they maxing out around 700-750lb springs. Which mean it will suck balls with my 1k springs...mhm...still leaning towards j-stock shocks since they are valved for stiff springs to begin with.
Alex K.
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Postby pr0craztinazn » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:57 am

As noted in my post, you can get a set valved to your specification Konis from Ground Control for $1100ish shipped with mounts for the rear dampers; that's what I paid and is what I run on my E30. It soaks up bumps surprisingly well; Tein Super Drifts felt like riding on rocks and the Konis are Cadillac CTS-V smooth.

The monotubes can go up to 1400lbs or so, depending on which line you're getting. The twin tubes are good for less, but again, it depends on which line you are getting. I have Koni Race series twin tubes up front and monotubes out back.
-LSD-
E30 Guy

Postby -LSD- » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:40 am

pr0craztinazn wrote:As noted in my post, you can get a set valved to your specification Konis from Ground Control for $1100ish shipped with mounts for the rear dampers; that's what I paid and is what I run on my E30. It soaks up bumps surprisingly well; Tein Super Drifts felt like riding on rocks and the Konis are Cadillac CTS-V smooth.

The monotubes can go up to 1400lbs or so, depending on which line you're getting. The twin tubes are good for less, but again, it depends on which line you are getting. I have Koni Race series twin tubes up front and monotubes out back.

Im kinda used to tien super drifts, i like it hard (no homo -grin- ) but thats what i used to have on my 240sx's before, and i like it.
And 1100 just for shocks seems a bit steep. J-stock are 650...and judging from reviews people love them.
Alex K.
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Postby pr0craztinazn » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:15 pm

It's just another option; sounds like the J-stocks are your ticket.

Return to “Suspension”