A couple questions about rear struts...

Springs and shocks. What keeps your car tight around corners?
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

A couple questions about rear struts...

Postby blasphemy101 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:35 pm

1) The rear struts should decompress themselves...right? :mrgreen: I pulled one off to test it out and look for what I assumed was a bad strut mount. When I compressed it, it slid down with a little bit of resistance but shows no sign of coming back up. -lll._.-

2) Can I run bilstein sports with my stock 325is springs? I'm planning to get H&R races (rode in a car with this setup & loved it), but I don't have the money for both. Obviously, I would like to have my e30 back on the ground some time soon...
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Re: A couple questions about rear struts...

Postby M20_fever » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:47 pm

Yeah, strut should definitely rebound, yours are totally blown. Usually stock springs are paired with Bilstein HDs, I could be wrong but I think sports are shorter to accommodate shorter springs.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:53 pm

M20_fever wrote:Yeah, strut should definitely rebound, yours are totally blown.

That's what I had assumed; I thought I had remembered someone claiming that springs help some struts rebound.

M20_fever wrote: Usually stock springs are paired with Bilstein HDs, I could be wrong but I think sports are shorter to accommodate shorter springs.

Gotcha - but would the extra length of the stock springs cause issues with the Bilstein Sports? I imagine they have to account for some differences in spring length. I plan to get H&R Race springs in the future, and it would seem like a waste to get another set of rear struts as a stopgap measure.

Maybe I should give Bilstein a call...
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:58 pm

Man I hope the Koni's I just bought will work with stock springs until I get H&R Races...
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:07 pm

They should come back out but not necessarily fast. If you squish it in and it never comes back out, you haz bad shocks.
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:10 pm

Nsquared97 wrote:Man I hope the Koni's I just bought will work with stock springs until I get H&R Races...

I'll post back here with what Bilstein tells me. I can't imagine your Koni's would be that different.

Yoshi wrote:They should come back out but not necessarily fast. If you squish it in and it never comes back out, you haz bad shocks.

I'm assuming 15 or so minutes should be enough time. They're stamped BMW so I'm 80% sure they're original and 99% sure they're blown. 25 years and 105k miles takes its toll lol
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:24 pm

blasphemy101 wrote:
Nsquared97 wrote:Man I hope the Koni's I just bought will work with stock springs until I get H&R Races...

I'll post back here with what Bilstein tells me. I can't imagine your Koni's would be that different.

Definitely do that, I am curious to hear what they say. But My Koni's arrived today, I just wasn't home to sign for them. Hopefully I will get them tomorrow. Going to try and put them on the car this weekend, we'll see if it works.
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:40 pm

That's great! Getting a comparison between what Bilstein says and how the Konis fare should help decide this issue. Does anyone have a picture of H&R race springs with the e90(?) drop hats? Not that looks are my ultimate focus, but I'm curious if would be worth it.

[EDIT] just realized they're only ~10mm deeper, but they look like they work fine. I might look into them if I need to replace the front mounts (rears were fine)
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:48 pm

if the struts are indeed shorter running them with stock springs will over extend and damage the strut and/or the RSMs. Let us know what Bilstein says.
HSAX Instructor

M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:52 pm

drop hats are just for Looks, they actually detract from performance since they reduce the strut travel. They will also prematurely wear the shocks since they keep them partially compressed, and depending on what strut you use it can cause them to bottom out damaging the strut.
HSAX Instructor

blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:00 pm

M20_fever wrote:drop hats are just for Looks, they actually detract from performance since they reduce the strut travel. They will also prematurely wear the shocks since they keep them partially compressed, and depending on what strut you use it can cause them to bottom out damaging the strut.

Good to know - I also see that the e90 hats do not have the same angle as the e30 ones. Looks like I'll avoid those.
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:07 am

M20_fever wrote:drop hats are just for Looks, they actually detract from performance since they reduce the strut travel. They will also prematurely wear the shocks since they keep them partially compressed, and depending on what strut you use it can cause them to bottom out damaging the strut.

Really? Did not know this, was planning on getting a set eventually.
AustinR
I <3 E30's

Postby AustinR » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:16 am

I ran Bilstein Sport shocks with m3 springs for a while. Then changed the springs out to H&R Race, using the same shocks/struts. Worked just fine and the shocks are just perfect still.
M20_fever wrote:Austin is right.
Nsquared97 wrote:You were right again Austin!
87e30 wrote:Austin is right yet again!

Build Thread
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:35 am

Thats encouraging. I wonder how M3 springs compare to my iS set. I believe theyre a little shorter/stiffer than standard i springs.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:42 am

Yeah, this si all info I found when I was considering drop hats. Their not horrible if the car is just a DD, but losing shock travel in any kind of racing is bad. Don't quote me on this but e30m3 springs are around 1/2" lower than stock non-M springs.
HSAX Instructor

Return to “Suspension”