Argh! I made a dumb! Brake hose replacement...

Springs and shocks. What keeps your car tight around corners?
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Argh! I made a dumb! Brake hose replacement...

Postby blasphemy101 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:13 am

So I've rebuilt my calipers, replaced my rotors and pads, replaced my rubber brake hoses, bled my brake fluid. I have a nice firm pedal, good braking, probably bad ABS, considering the noises my ABS controller is making...

I took a look in my "bag o' to do parts" lo and behold, my new inner rear brake lines are there, untouched.

-angry- HOW COULD I FORGET THESE -angry-

Is there an easy way to replace the inner rear brake hoses? Do you really have to drop the subframe? I have an auto-x on the 29th, and running full-out with potentially original brake lines is not an enticing proposition...
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Re: Argh! I made a dumb! Brake hose replacement...

Postby Nsquared97 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:17 am

I've been running full out all year on what are most likely original lines. As long as they aren't visibly cracked, I wouldn't worry. From what I have read the stock lines are pretty good quality units.

Haven't actually gotten around to swapping out my inner lines yet either, so I can't help you out there.
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:31 am

I'll have to get under and check them. The S2000 community is pretty paranoid about brake line replacement. I guess some years ago an S2k driver died in an accident caused by a broken stock brake line. That said, s2000 brakes do not disipate heat very well - no brake ducting and very good braking force, and most brake line fatigue is caused by heat, which the inner lines wouldn't really see.

I plan to replace them, but I'll check them out. I did the outer hoses a while ago, so I may have inspected the inner ones at that time. Even then, you're probably subjecting your lines to much more stress than I am :)
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:39 am

blasphemy101 wrote:I'll have to get under and check them. The S2000 community is pretty paranoid about brake line replacement. I guess some years ago an S2k driver died in an accident caused by a broken stock brake line. That said, s2000 brakes do not disipate heat very well - no brake ducting and very good braking force, and most brake line fatigue is caused by heat, which the inner lines wouldn't really see.

Haven't heard of that issue at all with E30's, and like you said the inner lines shouldn't see a ton of heat. I would mainly be worried about what 25 years of being exposed to the elements has done to them.

blasphemy101 wrote:I plan to replace them, but I'll check them out. I did the outer hoses a while ago, so I may have inspected the inner ones at that time. Even then, you're probably subjecting your lines to much more stress than I am :)

Haha at events like my last one, that is definitely possible. Although less braking means you go faster right? ;)
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:44 am

Nsquared97 wrote:Haven't heard of that issue at all with E30's, and like you said the inner lines shouldn't see a ton of heat. I would mainly be worried about what 25 years of being exposed to the elements has done to them.

I imagine it's a condition that 1) has been blown out of proportion by the s2000 community 2) considering this was one of the fastest amateur s2000 drivers of his time, the driver in question likely subjected his braking system to much higher stresses that most drivers

Nsquared97 wrote:Haha at events like my last one, that is definitely possible. Although less braking means you go faster right? ;)

Yeah, sure...I'll keep that in mind. If we only looked at RATE of deceleration in braking zones, I would probably look like a MUCH faster driver -grin-
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:46 am

Yeah. I mean brakes definitely are not something to screw around with, espicially if you are running a car in any sort of motorsports event. But yeah, the death of a driver can definitely lead to making people a bit touchy on the subject.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:29 am

IIRC that S2k crash was on my local track. Guy was doing 100+ on the main straight and lost brakes. Died on the spot. The inner lines are far from heat. I never did mine and have tracked quite a bit. I'd do them if you can. But yea. Have to drop subframe
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:54 pm

Yeah, mine were rusted just at the further ngs and stripped immediately. I left them for now and will replace them when I drop the rear sub frame. unless they are horribly rusted or cracked I would leave them until you have time to drop the frame.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:53 pm

Planning to drop the subframe relatively soon for bushings, so I might just do them then.

Return to “Suspension”