Front Suspension Knock

Springs and shocks. What keeps your car tight around corners?
EBSF
E30 Guy
AntiSpam: No

Re: Front Suspension Knock

Postby EBSF » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:27 pm

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I'm planning to go out this afternoon and do everything I can external to the strut assembly, like bouncing the thing and re-inspecting some of the points that have been mentioned. I have a big Monday meeting to prep for, so may not be able to spend the time nec. to dismantle the strut. Stay tuned.
AustinR
I <3 E30's

Postby AustinR » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:47 am

I think it may have been said before (too lazy to go read right now) but the nut that threads onto the strut shaft on top of the strut bearing (which holds it on there) may not be tightened down enough. It's been an elusive nut to me before. I had the same clunking you describe and that was the problem. Try tightening that down, and make sure when you're turning the nut, the strut shaft isn't turning too. Gotta hold it.
M20_fever wrote:Austin is right.
Nsquared97 wrote:You were right again Austin!
87e30 wrote:Austin is right yet again!

Build Thread
EBSF
E30 Guy

Postby EBSF » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:47 pm

Just reporting back on the problem and the solution. Very simply, the tie rod ball joint apparently hadn't been seated properly the first time around even though the locknut was torqued to spec, and consequently there was some play.

I went to the local parts store yesterday to rent the spring compressors again and got into a conversation with the counterman. He said, "let's take a look first." Bouncing hadn't replicated the knock before and didn't again but he yanked on the tire a couple of ways and it was clear to both of us that there was some play with the tie rod: The tire would move left and right when pushed or pulled on the leading edge.

Back to the house, the locknut was on to spec but the joint moved around a little too much. I removed the locknut entirely and disassembled the joint. The giveaway was that it came right apart and I didn't need my ball joint press. I tested the joint itself and it had no play, telling me the part was fine but it simply hadn't been seated properly when I last installed it. Besides, the knock didn't occur before the strut overhaul, so logically, this was a question of erroneous installation and not a bad part. I then seated the tie rod ball joint very carefully, testing the seating a few times, and then brought the floor jack up beneath it very carefully so that the joint wouldn't rotate when I put on the nut, making certain the joint was square to the strut. On went a new locknut torqued to spec and the problem was solved.

Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts and interest. I hope this account is helpful.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:28 pm

glad it was a quick and simple fix! Love those! Now go drive
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:04 pm

Nice job, glad to hear its back together. In the future, if you reuse a ball joint nut be sure to put a dab of blue Loctite on it.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
EBSF
E30 Guy

Postby EBSF » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:05 pm

I didn't reuse the locknut but the blue locktite recommendation is a good suggestion in a pinch.

Return to “Suspension”