Suspension buffet - AKA what am I doing?

Springs and shocks. What keeps your car tight around corners?
u3b3rg33k
E30 Guy

Suspension buffet - AKA what am I doing?

Postby u3b3rg33k » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:07 am

Oh, look. I'm posting on an e30 forum again. it's been, what? forever?

I'm working on getting my e30 back up into track day shape.

Things that have been done so far:
Billy HDs, H&R OE sports (trying to avoid lowering it for rallyx)

things that are pending:
-total rear subframe rebuild
I'm leaning towards AKG urethane in 75D everything. Everywhere.
is this stiff enough? I have an e60 now for DD status, so ultimate comfort is not my goal. Happy fun time is.

I'm also thinking of this swaybar package:
store.bimmerworld.com/bimmerworld-e30-3-series-swaybar-packages-p1408.aspx
I KNOW my OE rubber sway bushings are tired, and I'm basically over rubber parts anyways. is that kit good/bad/meh? should I be looking at something else? I like that they say their rear bar doesn't limit travel, I have a torsen, and lifting wheels is for VWs, not BMWs.

I'd like to quote this:
stiff springs + stiff sway bars == twitchy

One of the two have to get softened.

Stiff springs + softer sway bar == Good smooth surface grip

Soft springs + stiff sway bars == Good loose/uneven surface grip

and point out that I like sliding around on dirt/gravel/snowy roads, so I'm leaning towards soft springs (HR OE are soft, yes?), with "stiff" swaybars. I have no idea what that last part means, so please, chime in. I want to avoid making this car suck, by retarding the fun out of it. be harsh.
Yoshi
Site Admin
AntiSpam: No

Re: Suspension buffet - AKA what am I doing?

Postby Yoshi » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:03 pm

Disclaimer: You're out of my realm of expertise, all I can give you is general advice

Anyway. I always go solid bushings on anything that doesn't move. My full thoughts are here: http://www.slidewaysonline.com/?q=node/22 with a conclusion that the rear trailing arms SHOULD go spherical but you'll have to settle for 75d.

For the sway bar, there's that 19mm/22mm sway kit someone sells somewhere... IE? I dunno. But they come with different mounting holes to change stiffness. I'd suggest getting adjustable end links too so that you can tune out as much bind as possible. With the large amount of suspension travel, binding is a serious eventuality.

Edit: Side note - rally e30s are all over the place. Someone has to have a setup you can copy.
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:04 pm

Whoa, haven't seen anything form you in a while! I can't give much advice on this, but there is definitely a lot of options for sways as I'm sure you know. I have the Ireland 25mm front bar, and I really like the whole kit it comes with, beefier front brackets, spherical, adjustable endlinks, etc. They also have 22mm front kit as well. If your staying with stockish spring rates like I have at the moment, a big front bar makes a world of difference.
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Postby pr0craztinazn » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:59 pm

Ireland doesn't make anything worth using.

What rules does your class have? The bimmerworld rear sway is the only one I know of that actually does allow for full rear suspension travel, which is a huge deal for a rallycross car. I'd be hesitant to utilize poly bushings in the rear trailing arm given that you'll need the arm to not bind up for any reason. There are a couple of rallyx E30 build ups documented on the Grassroots Motorsports forums, and some on r3v as well, which will likely have better info than the majority of us here.
u3b3rg33k
E30 Guy

Postby u3b3rg33k » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:04 pm

Nsquared97 wrote:Whoa, haven't seen anything form you in a while! I can't give much advice on this, but there is definitely a lot of options for sways as I'm sure you know. I have the Ireland 25mm front bar, and I really like the whole kit it comes with, beefier front brackets, spherical, adjustable endlinks, etc. They also have 22mm front kit as well. If your staying with stockish spring rates like I have at the moment, a big front bar makes a world of difference.

Yeah I've been quiet. I bought a new DD, and I'm finally fixing the e30 (as of right now, I can only get it into 2nd & 4th, hoping it's a bad bushing/non-trans issue), but that's OT.

pr0craztinazn wrote:Ireland doesn't make anything worth using.

What rules does your class have? The bimmerworld rear sway is the only one I know of that actually does allow for full rear suspension travel, which is a huge deal for a rallycross car. I'd be hesitant to utilize poly bushings in the rear trailing arm given that you'll need the arm to not bind up for any reason. There are a couple of rallyx E30 build ups documented on the Grassroots Motorsports forums, and some on r3v as well, which will likely have better info than the majority of us here.

HA! the only rules my "class" has is "don't hit the fucking wall, and don't hit other cars". I do this for fun, no real competition.
I'm under the impression that the sleeved 75D AKG bushings are not a binding hazard. fill them with grease and party hearty kinda nonsense.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:24 am

I don't think you'll have a binding problem with the AKG bushings, but the concern I would have with all near solid bushings is the beating the stock mounts are going to take in a rally environment. I would think with that stiff of bushings your going to need to reinforce some mounting points.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
u3b3rg33k
E30 Guy

Postby u3b3rg33k » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:10 am

Mod, feel free to move this if it gets too far OT. I think it might. in fact, go for it. Maybe we should just make this the u3b3rg33k car thread? do I already have one?

Anyways, so does 75D sound like the smart move for a beat the shit out of it (can I say that here) car setup? it's a far cry better than the rubber I keep ruining.

And speaking of rubber, I'm considering a new driveshaft. damn are they expensive (my buddies 500WHP cobra DS doesn't cost half that). I've worn out two CSBs since I did my manual swap a while back, are RX and HPDEs that hard on the CSB? I've completely torn the bearing surround (bearing is fine) twice now. my rear bearing on the drive-shaft is notchy as all get-out, and spending $700+ for a single bearing seems, well, retarded. the local driveshaft rebuilding place wont' even fix staved in shafts, so I have to either buy a new OEM shaft, or buy a rebuild able one. I feel like they should last longer.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:14 pm

Why not go one piece? *Shrugs*. Also, yea you can say "shit" here. I debated on the DS thing myself. Rebuilt sounds decent I suppose. Depends on price.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:30 pm

Robert (peerless) has a source for rebuilding them, though you'd have a lot of shipping expense. I go through flex discs a lot, built so far the bearings have been fine.

If you want. this to be your build thread just change the name and I'll move it to Builds.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:30 pm

pr0craztinazn wrote:Ireland doesn't make anything worth using.

What makes you say that?
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:32 pm

because everything the both of us have purchased from there have been cheap or wrong and the few times we've contacted their support, we got shit back.
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:44 pm

Hmm, haven't had any issues with stuff I have bought from them thus far.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:40 am

what'd you buy off them?
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:59 am

So far stainless brake lines, although I have only installed 3 of them, front sway kit, and poly steering coupler which I also haven't installed lol.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:25 am

IIRC they don't make the brake lines. They just resell them. Sway bars are kinda hard to fuck up lol. If you got their extra thick ones, I heard bad things. You have to carve up your car to fit them and I don't think they are that solid. Just me though. ymmv.

Return to “Suspension”