Cool Suspension Diagrams

Springs and shocks. What keeps your car tight around corners?
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Cool Suspension Diagrams

Postby blasphemy101 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:18 pm

http://www.rtsauto.com/3-series-suspens ... 0-e36-e46/

I ran across this site with some cool 3-series suspension info. It's given me some answers, but it's also raised some questions...

You can see how they really seem to have gotten the front suspension right with the E30.

Apparently the rear suspension left something to be desired, hence the switch to multi-link for the E36 & E46. I remember reading somewhere the E36 is generally able to get more traction than the E30. Reading the notes on the pages, it looks like there are some real disadvantages to the E36...toe out under acceleration? Shouldn't the reduced "squat" prevent this?

What's lateral-force understeer?

The E36 and E46 suspensions look VERY similar (rear especially). It looks like the front of the E46 has additional bracing/damping. Any idea if this was to account for additional weight?
Yoshi
Site Admin

Re: Cool Suspension Diagrams

Postby Yoshi » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:42 pm

Aw man I love you. I'm gonna read through this like crack. What book is this? I must buy >_<

Front suspensions don't really change in bmws. mcpherson strut and some minor differences. nothing big. The E30 also had toe out under squat due to accel. In an E36, it is NOT (really) reduced under squat. The toe out comes from bushing deflection and not the movement of the arms like it does on the E30. The E30 does have some of that, but not as much.

I would assume lateral force understeer is the side loads causing the tires to under steer. I'd have to read into it.

E36/E46 rears are the same as far as I'm concerned. I've worked on both. The only real difference I see is how the sway bar is mounted and how the strut tube is connected to the spindle. The bracing is simply shown in the E46 pic. The E36 had something similar too IIRC.
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:01 pm

Well that would make two of us that would love that book!
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:57 pm

anyone wanna find me a break down of the 1 series suspension?

Edit: something better than this - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=33&fg=30

WTF 5 links?!
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:59 pm

Holy cow that realoem diagram makes the 1-Series suspension look really complicated (and heavy). I definitely need to check out the underside of the E36 before I see it off...

The main reason I'm reviving this thread...I think I may have found the original publisher of the book the pages in my OP are from. It looks like it's out of production (which would make sense; it looks like the latest model it covers is the E46), but knowing the title would at least help track down a copy.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:58 am

so you know the title?
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:59 pm

M20_fever wrote:so you know the title?

I found the pictures were posted on r3v, and based on what the poster said, it looks like the book was published by BMW Mobile Tradition. After some searching, I found BMW Mobile Tradition became BMW-Classic in 2008. I sent them an email asking about any books or documentation that contain diagrams/graphs/info on 3-series suspension design and function.

They responded suggesting the information might be found in Das Original - Die BMW 3er-Reihe: Konzept, Technik, Design by Hans-Hermann Braess from a book series they produced called "BMW Dimensionen." Obviously, this book is in German. They told me they did not have an English copy in their library and expressed some doubts about the existence of one.

I was able to determine Bentley Publishers MAY have published an English version in 2004 titled Bmw 3 Series: Concept, Technology, Design. Unfortunately, there are only a couple of accounts of this book's existence online. I tried calling Bentley, but they are closed for the day due to weather.

I was able to find a couple of copies of other books from the "BMW Dimensionen" ("BMW Profiles") series, and they're pretty pricey. I'm sure this kind of info can be found elsewhere, but I doubt it would be so well-presented. It looks to have come straight from BMW, but I fear the info might be locked away in a filing cabinet in the BMW engineering department's storage closet.

Next step after Bentley is contacting BMW directly, which might not be so bad, as long as I can avoid them selling me a 328i.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:42 pm

lol, going all CSI on that shit. git er dun!
HSAX Instructor

blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:13 pm

M20_fever wrote:lol, going all CSI on that shit. git er dun!

Haha...I'm trying. We'll see how it works out.

I'm going to work on hounding Turner about the J-Stock spring specs next...
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:11 am

man that would be amazing info.
HSAX Instructor

Return to “Suspension”