Sway bar suggestions?

Springs and shocks. What keeps your car tight around corners?
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Sway bar suggestions?

Postby blasphemy101 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:39 pm

I'm looking to take care of a little bit of body roll and reduce some of the understeer I've been experiencing. The J-Stock suspension is great, but it hasn't completely cured all the performance issues with my suspension. I think sways and bushings are the next steps to take. I'm not trying to drastically change the way the car handles, I only want to tweak it a little bit. I feel like the balance is almost there for my capabilities - I tend to get into trouble some times with the "overly neutral" setup I run on my S2000...

I'm thinking of going with a cabrio front sway bar (21mm, stock front is 20mm) and either a H&R (18mm) or Eibach (16mm) rear bar (stock rear bar is 12mm). I'm cautious to add a lot of bar to the front, but those rear bars are adjustable, which should let me mess with things a bit.I'm going to do some more maths over my lunch break today to see how the two compare, but I wanted to hear your thoughts, since I know we have some guys with a lot of suspension experience. Right now I'm leaning towards the Eibach bar - it is still a significant jump from the stock rear bar but not as extreme as the H&R.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Re: Sway bar suggestions?

Postby Yoshi » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:44 pm

There's a racing class that exclusively runs J stock stuff. What bars do they run?
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:29 pm

There is a lot more to jstock suspension than springs and dampners. The full kit comes with RSMs, sway bars, and camber plates i think. I believe the sways are H&R but don't quote me on that. When i went to Jstocks I had too much over steer so its weird your getting understeer. If the front end is already pushing through corners bigger sway may make it worse, do you have camber plates? If not that may be a better place to start.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:18 pm

+1. kill any rubber bushings
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:46 pm

M20_fever wrote:There is a lot more to jstock suspension than springs and dampners. The full kit comes with RSMs, sway bars, and camber plates i think. I believe the sways are H&R but don't quote me on that. When i went to Jstocks I had too much over steer so its weird your getting understeer. If the front end is already pushing through corners bigger sway may make it worse, do you have camber plates? If not that may be a better place to start.

Yeah, the full J-Stock kit came with an assortment of other suspension mods. I was unable to locate the kit - I don't think Turner sells it since the springs are no longer being made. I believe you're right about them being H&R sway bars.

I'm not getting massive amounts of understeer - just a little more than I'm used to. It looks like most of the sway bar kits available are designed to reduce understeer (larger increase in rear stiffness than front). I believe I read some where that the J-Stock setup is designed to understeer slightly; that's probably taking the up-rated sway bars into account, so I wonder if I'm experience those characteristics to greater effect with the stock, front-biased sway bar setup.

I'll admit I had not considered camber plates, but they would make sense. I've noticed I'm getting a good bit of outside wear on my front tires - which of course suggests I need more camber. I volunteered for the Ultimate Streetcar Challenge at Daytona and most, if not all the competitors were running rivals and showed the same wear. These were extremely well-setup cars with a lot of shop/manufacturer support, so I assumed it must just be a characteristic of the tire...
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:47 pm

Reading back through that post, I'm realizing how many ASSumptions I've made. I think it's time to start acting on some of those so I can learn a thing or two!
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:12 pm

Before you spend any money I think you should unbolt one side of your rear sway bar and see how that effects your handling. Worst case it gets worse and you bolt it back up, but its free to try it and could solve your problem. When I was having some handling issues after switching to Jstock removing the rear sway bar helped a LOT.

As far as your tire wear, get an IR thermometer and check your tires right after each run, and be sure to check both the inside and outside of the tread. If your getting higher temps on the outside you can dial up the tire pressure a little to help reduce roll over, but additional camber would be the best solution. Chalking your sidewalls is also a good cheap method of dialing in optimal tire pressure.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:33 pm

M20_fever wrote:Before you spend any money I think you should unbolt one side of your rear sway bar and see how that effects your handling. Worst case it gets worse and you bolt it back up, but its free to try it and could solve your problem. When I was having some handling issues after switching to Jstock removing the rear sway bar helped a LOT.

As far as your tire wear, get an IR thermometer and check your tires right after each run, and be sure to check both the inside and outside of the tread. If your getting higher temps on the outside you can dial up the tire pressure a little to help reduce roll over, but additional camber would be the best solution. Chalking your sidewalls is also a good cheap method of dialing in optimal tire pressure.

Yep - I've been avoiding all of that. I'm coming to realize, however, that I DO need to get some baseline tire pressure/alignment numbers. My goal is eventually to have a generally good "drive(to the event)/drive(at the event)/drive(home)" setup that doesn't require much, if any on-site prep. I don't want r-compounds or crazy amounts of suspension adjustability, for example. I understand that's going to take quite some time/experimentation...

I'll try disconnecting the rear sway. I know a lot of people do that for autocross, but it hadn't occurred to me to just try it out to see how it affects the handling.

Return to “Suspension”