Adding camber front and rear

Springs and shocks. What keeps your car tight around corners?
EBSF
E30 Guy
AntiSpam: No

Adding camber front and rear

Postby EBSF » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:28 pm

So, replaced shocks and springs on my daily driver with Bilstein HDs and H&R OE Sports. The thinking is, upgraded street performance with minimum drop. I lost 0.75" on the front and about 1/2" on the rear, with increased negative camber in each case.

Actually, drop isn't all bad but with the E30's design, drop means negative camber, both front and rear. At the end of the day, most of my driving is straight-ahead, so negative camber isn't necessary and just chews through tires.

The question is how to correct the negative camber to factory settings, front and rear. Really, this boils down how best to add height because the E30 design doesn't directly permit camber adjustment.

So, on the rear, Ireland Engineering has spring spacers that I'm about to install, in addition to the thicker stock spring pads that went in during the shock/spring replacement. This seems pretty easy with a high probability of success.

On the front, the choices seem to be (a) the Ireland Engineering fixed or street adjustable camber plates; or (b) take it into an alignment shop and let them figure it out. In the case of (a), the question is whether either will get me the entire result I need, or just halfway. In the case of (b), I'm wondering whether they'll just add washers to the strut bearing bolts or something equally simple that I can do myself.

Thoughts?
ten2doyle102
I <3 E30's

Re: Adding camber front and rear

Postby ten2doyle102 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:57 am

How far off is the camber? At that light of a drop it can't be that bad. I guess I just don't see the need to spend a bunch of money on all those mods just to adjust a 0.5 degree out. Camber isn't the killer of tires generally, toe is also.

At any rate, maybe someone can verify, but I think there's a stock strut top that works for camber correcting.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:15 am

I would agree with Mr. Doyle, toe kills tires more than camber. I have a rather low drop and am running -2* front and -1.5* on my 325is and my mom uses it for her DD, not an issue with a thousand miles a month such far. You can adjust the front rather easily but the rear is the difficult part. I would suggest having camber adjustments welded on with some reinforcements if you really want to get it adjusted. With a .75" drop front, you can get it back in line easily. I think I'm down almost 2 inches in the front and I could have gotten it better than -2*.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:17 pm

Honestly, if tire wear is your main concern it's not worth the money to correct the camber change from such a small drop in ride height. Be careful with the weld on camber adjusters for the rear sub-frame, they tend to be high maintenance since they tend slip out of adjustment. For a DD you won't want to deal with that, a track car is a different story. Can you post some pics of your car? If the camber is drastic enough to cause concern maybe you have something else going on that we can see in pics.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
EBSF
E30 Guy

Postby EBSF » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:34 pm

I'm in the middle of a timing belt replacement, so it's up on jacks with the wheels off. I'll post a photo when things get done. Mostly, it's me being picky, probably not much else going on.

Return to “Suspension”