Interior options, making the commute a little more bearable!

Fiberglass, body panels, valences. Also interior pieces like seats, dashes, etc
thebee64
E30 Guy
AntiSpam: No

Interior options, making the commute a little more bearable!

Postby thebee64 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:42 am

I'm going on about a month of ownership on my E30 and so far I've spent about 80 hours commuting in it. Yes, I probably do need to live a little closer to work and school and no, I'm not going to miss riding on a ferry everyday! Going from the Forester to the E30, I do miss some of the little things I took for granted, things like a cup holder for instance. Auto up windows, a working antenna and seat's that actually tilt back and forth without having lean to inside.

Are there any halfway decent center consoles out there? I'm not about to drop a couple of Jackson's for a shitty ass folding cup holder, not to mention an arm rest would be a little nice too. I'm probably just going to make one if I can't find anything. It shouldn't be to hard to mold something up..

The E36 window switches, do they have the auto up feature? To be honest, I don't know if that's a product of the motor, relay or switch, but either way it would be nice. As much as I want to spill my coffee and sue Starbuck's because I'm trying to roll up my window, hold my coffee and shift all at the same time..

I know I can junkyard a used antenna or order a new one from Bavauto, however something more modern like the newer style small back antenna's would clean up the rear quarter a bit. Any suggestions?

forester11antenna2.JPG
forester11antenna2.JPG (15.73 KiB) Viewed 3512 times

Seats, what are some good options out there. I've found a bunch of miata seats, but they look a little out of place sitting in a E30. Finding a good used pair of e30 seats around here looks like it's going to set me back just as much as a knock-off racing style seat. Either way something that looks good, tilts and functions as it's supposed to is mainly what I'm after.

C'mon guys, give me some good ideas!
joecrotch
I <3 E30's

Re: Interior options, making the commute a little more beara

Postby joecrotch » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:55 am

The e36 switches do have auto down and it is the switch that does it. And as for the center console I Am converting a Volvo v70 counsel for my e30. I AK in the sake boat but I ripped my entire interior out for racing and now I want a street car so I decided instead of going back stock I am gonna modernize everything. So any thoughts on this would be great as well. I'm thinking of converting a moon roof as well.
The Free A Yoshi Foundation. Ask how you can make a difference!
thebee64
E30 Guy

Postby thebee64 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:54 pm

I realized it was auto down after I posted! Good to know that it's built into the switches though, so E36 switches it is!
And as for the center console I Am converting a Volvo v70 counsel for my e30

Do you have any pics of the center console? How does it fit?
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:36 pm

The auto down e36 switches do not work in our cars without major modification and only a couple people have gotten it to work so unless you are a master at electronics and wiring I wouldn't bother. The non-auto e36 switches are easy to install and function much nicer than the stock ones. I fitted them to the window and sunroof controls, looks and feels way better.

E46 center counsels can be made to fit nicely, but it takes some cutting to get it line up with the shift counsel properly and look right. WHen done right it looks pretty good and is very functional.

There are many people who have deleted the stock antenna and installed a shark fin above the rear window, but again, it requires cutting/welding and painting to do it right, not to mention re-routing the wires up into the roof under the headliner.

The seats can be fixed if you really want to do it on a budget, we have a very detailed sticky on how to rebuild/repair stock sport seats here: http://e30performance.info/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1147 Otherwise pretty much any seat around the same dimensions as the sport seats can be made to fit pretty easily using the stock sliders if you can weld.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
joecrotch
I <3 E30's

Postby joecrotch » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:15 am

right now all the center counsel is, is a idea lol but as soon as i get a 50 degree da i am gonna start spreading the fiberglass lol
thebee64
E30 Guy

Postby thebee64 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:19 pm

Well I'll probably hold off on the switch, at least for awhile then. Mine aren't in bad shape at all. It'll be on the list, just not on the top. The e46 consoles definitely look nice and should make a handy addition. It looks like they are floating around $120 on ebay for a console with armrest combo. I'll probably keep looking, hopefully I can score on CL for cheap! Speaking of cheap I did find a used e30 antenna and motor for $7. He say's it works, I guess I'll roll the dice and pick it up, you can't argue for that price.

right now all the center counsel is, is a idea lol but as soon as i get a 50 degree da i am gonna start spreading the fiberglass lol

Hopefully it'll come soon enough! Are you glassing up part of the volvo console or making something from scratch? I thought about making a simple mold out of foam and then glassing it up, but for the price of the e46 consoles, it doesn't seem worth it. I would be spending that in just glass, foam and epoxy!
joecrotch
I <3 E30's

Postby joecrotch » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:43 am

well I already have glass and epoxy lying around and I want a extra large cup holder that will fit a fountain drink in it. My plan is to use the bottom part that originally came in the e30 and glass the arm rest and custom cup holders in. but I have been searching and looking at the e36 console's and well hmmm, that seems a lot easier even if i start with that and add what I want. what ever I do I am gonna wrap in Alcantara. I have seen a few e30 interiors with alcantara accents and the look really nice. I am also thinking of wrapping my dash in alcantara.
dsc201knoc
I <3 E30's

Postby dsc201knoc » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:30 am

thinking about making a double hump dash eventually. probably wrap it in pleather... I have been working with some products and i have gotten pretty decent at stitching and cutting out templates..
05-Now -- BMW is "The Ultimate Driving Machine"
Next BMW: e63 BMW M6
91 e30 318iS
97 e36 M3
95 e36 M3 (Traded)
08 e82 135i (S)
96 e36 328iS M (S)
88 e30 325e (S)
10 r56 S (S)
98 e36 M3 (S)
80 e21 323i (S)
08 e90 328i M-Tech (S)
86 e30 318i (S)
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:41 am

got any pics? I need to fab a custom center counsel for my Chevelle so I'm looking for ideas. I'll be putting my e30 sport seats in the Chevelle when I get my racing seats, so I want a nice counsel to go between them.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
mvrk10256
I <3 E30's

Postby mvrk10256 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:44 pm

if you want auto up and down you first need digital switches, like my e38 switch conversion, e36 work fine as well. In addition you need this:

http://www.amazon.com/Install-Essential ... 179&sr=8-1

It may have the relays already built in, but it may be juts a controller so you need relays in addition. Unfortunatly space is tight in there.
-Maksim

Need a project for the weekend? Search "MVRK" - 11 Sticky DIY's and counting....

Return to “Body and Interior”