School me on valances

Fiberglass, body panels, valences. Also interior pieces like seats, dashes, etc
e30orDie
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

School me on valances

Postby e30orDie » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:13 pm

So I rock the DB (diving board) bumpers. I left my front alone to match up with my stretch front valance, and tucked my rear. This helped the rear a lot, but still leaves me with vast emptiness underneath :(

I know that like zender made a rear valance for these early model cars, but IMO, it just drop low enough for my likings. The later style (plastic bumpers) the rear valance drops to what I consider ideal.... This has left me kinda on the search for a solution.

Was / still am trying to find someone to cut the rear valance off a plastic bumper car, as I am pretty sure (but not 100%) that its apart of the body.... which would require a saw-saw. I've heard of one guy doing it before, and he was willing to send it to me, but he couldn't manage for whatever retarted reason :evil:

Anyways, I found / came across this last night on tech- Nothing to do with a bumper search, just seen this pic in a thread, his lil info by his screen name said 88* Idk... I pm'd the guy. BUT..... THIS is the look that i am after...

School me on options, and or any outside of the box ideas.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Re: School me on valances

Postby Yoshi » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:19 pm

88s were the swap over year before the plastic bumpers. they came with the stock post face lift rear valence. Ironically, I have a rear valence from an 88 sitting in my basement. Sadly I can't sell it to you. It's for the roomie.

The rear valence isn't easy to cut off. It's part of the battery box tray thing in the back of the trunk the stock jack and such sit in.

So yea, you're lookin at stock.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:49 pm

Yep, notice it also has the low rear arches? Your going to have a hard time finding someone to cut that rear valance off a late model, it's a major PITA to get it off without damaging it, then add dealing with shipping it. Your best bet is to look for a front-end totaled late model you can go pick up for a couple hundred and cut it off yourself. You could part the rest of the car and end up with a few more bucks than you started with.

Other options include a variety of early model body kits, but just the rear valance will still run you a couple hundred on any of those kits.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
e30orDie
I <3 E30's

Postby e30orDie » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:01 am

Yeah... damn... Looks like I might have to re work my deal with a buddy. I have a 91 318is, motor is hopeless at this point, and I've stole the black interior and trim... he has a sbc he wants to put in a light car... so for using his shop to drop mine and get set up... i was going to give it to him, other wise it would have been scrapped.... 200 a ton, and I have a few blocks to through inside of her :) but, decided to kinda trade it off as work and letting me use his shit, and free head job later down the road...

So.... I'd feel bad renigging, and or cutting it off before he ever saw it.... I started to take the trim off the plastics today, but no torque drivers at my cabin.... Anyone happen to know the size of it? lol :D
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:21 pm

torque drivers? sizes of what now? Sorry I just woke up.
jalopi
n00b

Postby jalopi » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:34 pm

torx head bolts/screws, maybe?
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:41 pm

oh off the bumper? Those are the dam external torx sockets. I never had to take those off though... You can remove all the body pieces without it.
e30orDie
I <3 E30's

Postby e30orDie » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:40 pm

Yoshi wrote:oh off the bumper? Those are the dam external torx sockets. I never had to take those off though... You can remove all the body pieces without it.

Oh yeah? LOL shows you how much I've fooled with it..... I just dont wanna rip shit off and break it.... even though i would be cutting the valance
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:45 pm

to get the bumper out, just pull the shocks. Theres 3 13mm bolts holding the bumper shocks to the chassis. 1 or two are accessible in the trunk near where the battery areas are and the other 4 you have to get from underneath. 2 hold the shocks to the chassis on each side. Then there is a third you have to follow the frame rail for.

I repeat 6 bolts, bumper comes out.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:59 pm

rear bumper can be pulled like Yoshi said, once it's off you will need to pull the skin off the core which requires some prying. Once the skin is off there are two small (t13 or t14 IIRC) torx screws holding the ends of the impact strip on. Once those are off it pops off pretty easy.

The front bumper is a PITA. I had to pull the impact strip off first (no screws holding it so it pops off pretty easy), then I had to cut the torx heads off the to separate the core from the shocks. Once I did that I had to pull the shocks off and take them into my machine shop and have them drilled out since the torx bolts were so rusted in place. Keep in mind this was on a really clean chassis with little rust elsewhere.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
e30orDie
I <3 E30's

Postby e30orDie » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:18 pm

Awesome, thanks guys! I'll be taking it off this weekend depending on weather... Now I'm down to whether to use a sawsaw or a air powered cut off wheel.... IF I used a sawsaw, fine teeth or rough? Any experience or sugesstions appreciated.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:26 pm

I'd use rough teeth on the saw. But be careful. you have to cut out a box on each side. So you'll probably wind up hitting the blade against the inner pieces. Bending the blade.
e30orDie
I <3 E30's

Postby e30orDie » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:33 pm

Box on each side? I heard the battery tray was connected to it- im gonna cut it off as well.... I'll have a whole packet of blades if that's the route I end up taking. I'm sure S&S muffler (buddies and old side work place) will have a whole box to give me to use. I'm still leaning towards the cut off wheel... But idk, haven't had time to tale plastic off to get a better view of what I am working with.....
87e30
I <3 E30's

Postby 87e30 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:35 pm

e30orDie wrote:Awesome, thanks guys! I'll be taking it off this weekend depending on weather... Now I'm down to whether to use a sawsaw or a air powered cut off wheel.... IF I used a sawsaw, fine teeth or rough? Any experience or sugesstions appreciated.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "sawsaw"? Sounds like you might be talking about a sawsall, but I could be wrong.
Schwarz 5-speed 87 325is (newest project)
Arktisblau 5-speed 86 325e (current DD)
Schwarz 5-speed 87 325e (parts car/LS1 swap?)
Gazellenbeige automatic 85 318i (70,000 miles)
Alpine white 5-speed 87 325is (my first e30, possibly for sale)
99 Suburban
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:40 pm

It's like kleenex or whatever. It's a specific brand of a reciprocating hand saw. It's actually called a "sawzall"

Return to “Body and Interior”