MVRK - DIY - E30 Stock Carpet Removal

Fiberglass, body panels, valences. Also interior pieces like seats, dashes, etc
mvrk10256
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

MVRK - DIY - E30 Stock Carpet Removal

Postby mvrk10256 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:47 am

This details the step by step removal of the stock e30 carpet. Thing weighs about 50lbs. Some of us want to pull it out to paint it, swap it, or trash it. Either way this is the way to do it.

1. Remove rear seats(no pictures cause i dont have rear seats but here are the steps
a. remove bottom cushion by yanking up on the front of it and sliding it out.
b. remove vertical cushion by unscrewing two bolts (at the bottom corners)
c. remove the underskirt thing, and small rear carpet.

2. Remove front seats.
a. stock seats have two studs in front with nuts and two bolts in the back. All are 17mm. Pull them out.
b. Pull out the seat.

3. Unscrew the seat belt mount. Also a 17mm. I would take the one out of the floor and loosen the one on the door frame, and then swivel it out of the way. Or remove it all together.
-Note: These have small spacers, make sure you remove them and store them with the bolts.

4.Get the center console out of there.
a. Pull of handbrake handle and rear ashtray
b. 10mm plastic nut under ashtray remove it.
c.pull rear console out. First slide it back so these tabs pop out, and then pull it off the handbrake handle.
d. remove this plug
e. off comes shift knob, boot
f. there is another 10mm plastic nut on the front half. Yank it out, and then pull the whole center console out.

5. I dont actually know how these skirts come out, but you can pull the carpet out from underneath them.

6. I suggest removing the kick panels. Passenger side has just one bolt. Driver side has 3.

7.Remove clutch stop, and gas pedal stop thingy.

8. Unclip gas pedal. Use a big prybar.

9.Now if you want to pull the dash and shit thats fine. But I am not removing the heater core, so we will cut the carpet. Make sure to cut as high as possible.

10.Vacuum!
-Maksim

Need a project for the weekend? Search "MVRK" - 11 Sticky DIY's and counting....
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Re: MVRK - DIY - E30 Stock Carpet Removal

Postby M20_fever » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:29 am

Stickied.

Just want to mention my late model carpet weighed far less than 50lbs, and the foam backing only saved 6lbs. From my understanding the early model carpeting foam weighs a lot more.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
siazul
I <3 E30's

Postby siazul » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:30 am

good diy, the little skirt things come of by prying up on them, just be careful. If I remember correctly I think you got to push/shift it forward first.
mvrk10256
I <3 E30's

Postby mvrk10256 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:26 am

M20_fever wrote:Stickied.

Just want to mention my late model carpet weighed far less than 50lbs, and the foam backing only saved 6lbs. From my understanding the early model carpeting foam weighs a lot more.

I addressed this in the other thread. Early models weight less. Quite a bit less as they have way less foam.

siazul wrote:good diy, the little skirt things come of by prying up on them, just be careful. If I remember correctly I think you got to push/shift it forward first.

I tried moving them front and back and pulling. Nothing. Will keep playing with it. Cause I am gonna have to yank them to install me new upcoming custom carpet. :shhh:
-Maksim

Need a project for the weekend? Search "MVRK" - 11 Sticky DIY's and counting....
Rick
I <3 E30's

Postby Rick » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:00 pm

Nice little write up. I was amazed how thick the foam was in places when I tore mine out. Good riddance to carpet, I like cleaning the floor with a garden hose.

This is slick, but I'll make my own for $250 http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac---e ... -p333.aspx
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:14 pm

I saw those pans. Unless your covering holes from rot I don't see the point. If your running no carpet I assume its a track car, on which case putting more steel (aluminum?) on the floor for looks seems silly since your just adding weight back in. Rhino line it and be done.
HSAX Instructor

Rick
I <3 E30's

Postby Rick » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:22 pm

Actually the rhino line is a good idea...hmm. You referring to the coating used for truck beds I assume?
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:26 pm

Yep.
HSAX Instructor

mvrk10256
I <3 E30's

Postby mvrk10256 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:35 pm

I want to put my own cell foam carpet in to help with a little noise reduction. Since I need to use the car on the street for at least another 2 years or so, I am not ready to give it up completely. However my carpet will hopefully be under 10lbs. definitily under 15lbs.

And it will look much cleaner. hopefully all the stuff comes in and I should have another DIY by the end of the weekend. Only thing you really lose (that i dont like) with pulling the carpet is the dead pedal. I know Lee sells a bolt in one, but if Iremember its big money.
-Maksim

M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:12 pm

Lee's is worth the money, looks like a very nice unit and its specific to no carpet. I'll be getting one when I get bumped to a class where I can strip weight out.
HSAX Instructor

Rick
I <3 E30's

Postby Rick » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:46 pm

Yeah a dead pedal is a must if your going to street drive for any distance, the only thing I miss. TBO its not intollerably loud inside without the carpet at all, a little noisy on the passengers side but overall fine.

Coilovers are the thing that really wears on the street driving.
mvrk10256
I <3 E30's

Postby mvrk10256 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:49 am

Rick wrote:Yeah a dead pedal is a must if your going to street drive for any distance, the only thing I miss. TBO its not intollerably loud inside without the carpet at all, a little noisy on the passengers side but overall fine.

Coilovers are the thing that really wears on the street driving.

I just want to quite it down a bit, and make it look nice inside again. On a track car its ok, but i want something i can take to meets and stuff. I dont actually mind the race seat and heavy springs. Just want to hear my music. Remember I have a 3" straight pipe to a $20 muffler.
-Maksim

Return to “Body and Interior”