How to: Change External Bulbs

Why do I have to unlock my doors through my trunk?
antil33t
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

How to: Change External Bulbs

Postby antil33t » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:16 am

External Bulb changing.

Please note this car is a non-US model, and may not have the same bulbs/lights as your car, so please check before referencing this guide for help.
I also take no responsibility if you die, or your car catches fire from reading this guide.

You will need for this exersise.

1x Philips screwdriver
1x Paper towel/rag/cloth (reccomended but not nessary)

All the bulbs you need to change

Headlights Low/High use H1 Halogen
Foglights use H3 Halogen
Parking lights (citylight??) is a T10 Wedge bulb
Front Indicators use a "P21w/32CP"
Side Indicators use a T10 Wedge Bulb.
Tails use (3x for no rear fogs) 4x "P21w/32CP" Bayonet and one R10W Bulb

Tail Lights.

E30's tail light bulbs all come out in one go, which is very easy compared to some other makes, to do this you will need to grab the black hand screw and turn it to the left until you can pull the grey cover off in one go, this will bring all the bulbs with it.

To remove the bulb, cover the bulb in your peice of cloth and press down and turn gently to the left, the bulb will pop out the bayonet and then you can pull

it away from the housing and replace with your new bulb. to insert a new bulb you press the bulb into the housing and turn ti to the right. I prefer not to touch the glass, even though with these bulbs it is not nessarily important.

To put the cover back on, line it up with the middle where the plastic screw goes in, and push gently and turn the black plastic screw and turn to the right!

Head Lights

The headlights on my particular car are Bosch Elipsoids, not all cars have this type of headlight so check your own car first before attempting.

Also, do not touch the halogen bulbs with bare skin, oils from your skin cause marks which can cause heat spots and blow the bulbs prematurely.

First you will need to open the bonnet of the car, Then remove this plastic cover which will reveal the back of the headlights.

Then unplug the yellow connector by pressing in the side tabs and pulling out straight, however mine are actually broken.

Turn the black cover to the left which will reveal the bulb, be gentle it could be very brittle after 20 years.

To remove the bulb press this metal clip upwards and remove it completely, it's not secured anywhere so don't lose it, you will need it.

Then unplug the spade connector from the bulb, and get your new bulb ready.

To install your new bulb, first place the bulb into the housing, then place the metal clip into the first tab, then press it down into the locking tab. Plug the spade connector back in and put the plastic cover back on and plug it in!

High beam is basically the same, except it's a bit harder to get to.

Park Lights

The park light or (Citylight?) is located on top of the headlight housing.

To remove you flick the little switch like thing to the left, and it will pop right out.

The bulb is a wedge type, so you just need to pull it out no twisting nessary.

Reinstallation is push new bulb in (if going LED they may require the correct polarity (so test first)) and flick switch back to the right position.

Foglights

Firstly, remove the middle rubber plug to expose the screw to remove the light

Then remove the screw and push the light from behind, they can be be sort of difficult to remove due to the rubber trim. The light needs to move to the left, as it has a tab which it sits in on the right. (looking at front of car)

Once the light is out, underneath you will find a round cover with two screws securing it, this is where the bulb is. - Remove both screws and pull the cover off and put it aside.

Next remove the spade plug connection for the bulb.

Now squeeze these metal parts of the clip together and push it out of the way.

Now remove the bulb.

Installation of new bulb is reverse of the removal.

To reinstall the foglight into the housing put it back in on the right first find the little tab it needs to sit in, and press the left side back in (again, from front of car)

Again, do not touch the foglight bulbs as they are Halogen type.

Side Indicators

Remove by unscrewing the one screw at closest to the front wheel.

Then slide the indicator towards the front of the car, as there is a clip at the end.

Bulb and socket just pull out of the reflector housing

Bulb is a Wedge type, so you can just pull this out with no twisting and just push your new one in.

Front Indicators

First, remove the two screws in the very front of the light, make sure you don't lose the little rubber washers, as these seal out water from inside the

reflector housing.

Now remove the bulb by pressing down on it and turning to the left,

To install new bulb, place bulb in socket, press down and turn to the right!

Cheers for reading this, as this is my first go at writing a guide at all, please excuse any mistakes haha, Any comments/additions welcome.
Thanks!
Yoshi
Site Admin

Re: How to: Change External Bulbs

Postby Yoshi » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:22 pm

Damn. Your headlights are much easier to change. Envy!!!

Tony will sticky this whenever he gets a chance. He's my sticky guy :-p
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Re: How to: Change External Bulbs

Postby M20_fever » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:17 am

I have to have some use around here...

Sickied, great write up!
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop