DIY: Reset Service Lights

Why do I have to unlock my doors through my trunk?
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

DIY: Reset Service Lights

Postby Nsquared97 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:25 am

Alright first and foremost, I, along with this site, take no responsibilty for anything you do to your car and/or your inability to follow directions.

So, as most of you know the E30 has built in service lights, that are designed to alert you when the car needs scheduled service or an oil change. Here's how to reset them.

First off, pop the hood and locate your diagnostic port. On most cars it's a round plug with a screw on cap, located toward the front of the car by the intake manifold, engine oil dipstick, and IAC (on M20B25 cars). Once you have found this unscrew the cap, and you should see this:
I should note this write-up is based off of my '87 (build date 3/87) 325is, early cars had a different diagnostic port, and require a slightly different process to reset.

From here it's pretty simple. All you need to do is connect pin 7 (service interval indicator) to pin 19 (ground). Now what you should do, is use some wire with a fuse inline similar to this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... age=search This is incase you connect the wrong pins, you won't pop a fuse or fry your wiring. I honestly just used a piece of wire. The pins in the connector are labeled, but can be pretty hard to see, espicially if you don't have good lighting to work with. Here's the connector labeled with the pins you need to jump:

For early cars (84/85?):
For early cars (like my '85 M10) the diagnostic port is a little different. Located in a very similar spot, towards the front of the intake manifold on the driver's side. The diagnostic port looks like this:

The process is pretty much the same as above, you just need to connect these 2 pins:
As before, 7 in the service interval indicator, but this time 1 is ground.

Before we get to the next step, here's a little bit of info. The service intervals cycle between an oil service, and an inspection service. Basically, an oil change should be done at each interval, with other maintanence items done at the inspection intervals.

Now, once you have your jumper wire in place, get in the driver's seat and turn the key to the 'run' (NOT start). Hold it there for about 3 seconds to reset the oil interval, and about 10 seconds to reset the inspection interval. The lights will turn back to green when the interval is reset. I took a video while I did it on mine, it literally took less than 2 seconds for the lights to reset once I turned the key:

From here, remove your jumper wire, screw the cap back on your diagnostic port, and your done. A little tip to make this easier the next time you have to do it, mark which pins you used. I just took a paint marker and outlined the holes.

Here's an extremely useful resource with tons of info on the whole service indicator system:
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/repair_faqs/sil.html
Last edited by Nsquared97 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
AustinR
I <3 E30's

Re: DIY: Reset Service Lights

Postby AustinR » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:15 am

Very nice. I always used a paper clip. lol.
M20_fever wrote:Austin is right.
Nsquared97 wrote:You were right again Austin!
87e30 wrote:Austin is right yet again!

Build Thread
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:22 pm

One of the cars I bought had the reset tool in it. *shrugs*
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:28 am

Awesome, sticky. I've never tried this on my car, I should though since all that stuff actually works, lol.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
87e30
I <3 E30's

Postby 87e30 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:15 am

If pin 19 is ground do you even need to use it at all? Can you not ground pin 7 to anywhere on the car? I know it's plenty easy to just run pretty much any wire between those two pins, but would it work grounding elsewhere?
Schwarz 5-speed 87 325is (newest project)
Arktisblau 5-speed 86 325e (current DD)
Schwarz 5-speed 87 325e (parts car/LS1 swap?)
Gazellenbeige automatic 85 318i (70,000 miles)
Alpine white 5-speed 87 325is (my first e30, possibly for sale)
99 Suburban
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:55 am

Yeah I am pretty sure you can ground to just about anything you want. Pin 19 is just easy because it is right there.
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:53 pm

Does the SI system reference the ECU at all? I'll have to check, but I think my SI lights are lit up. I'd like to reset them, but I don't know if it is an option with megasquirt.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:18 pm

Far as I know there is no tie between the ecu and SI board. You should be able to reset the lights as instructed above.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:29 pm

Woo! I'll check it while I'm working on the car tonight and post back my results.
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:02 am

Updated this with info for early cars. Not sure exactly what years/engines that covers, but it worked for my '85 M10.

Return to “Electrical”