DIY: ODO Gear Replacement for Motometer

Why do I have to unlock my doors through my trunk?
Ryki
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

DIY: ODO Gear Replacement for Motometer

Postby Ryki » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:37 am

Well then, as my first write up I should like to use what resources we already have; here http://www.e30performance.info/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=487 is a fantastic write up on removing your cluster and thus your speedo. It is very easy to remove it with the steering wheel on, you just have to know how to move the cluster to one side unplug/plug and move to the other etc, so that would make doing it on an airbag e30 rather easy. I'll be starting from the point that you have the cluster removed and you're looking at removing the gauge with the speedo, odo and trip.

Tools you will need past what is listed:
Tiny flit tip screw driver (preferably magnetic tipped)

As you can see on the back of your cluster you have the 4 screw side and the 3 screw side as ten2doyle as kind enough to point out, we shall be removing the 4 screw side with the speedo. When you are removing the gauge itself, it is noteworthy that one side is inserted into prongs, and you should take care to pull out the gauge with even pressure on all sides. Once removed, you should be focusing on the side that looks like this:

The gears from the top are from garagistic, 25-30 bucks shipped (http://store.garagistic.com/ocart/index ... duct_id=62).
You'll want to take the gauge to an area where you feel safe to potentially drop small objects, I used the driver sear of my e30.
Now, the odo gears are behind a the clear plastic shield with two flat tip screws, one on the top left and one on the bottom right. Unscrew them and take care to not drop them (magnetic tip really helps here):

That should leave you looking like this with the shield removed:

As you can see, my odo gears were nasty as heck. They had partially melted or something had gotten in there and left them stuck together. It also meant that the topmost gear had broken itself on the stuck gears and there is simply a brass coupling on it. When I tried to remove my odo gears they flexed like wax and broke:

Be careful removing your gears, you should have three primary and one small one at the top where mine is broken. Take note of how the gears stack on each other as you'll be putting the new ones on soon enough. The top gear, mine being just a copper coupling, is a bit difficult to remove as the portion it is attached to will move slightly. The best way I found to remove it was to use the tiny screwdriver to pry as seen below:

Below is what things should look like before you start adding your gears:

Almost counter intuitively, the gears go on from smallest overall size to largest. The gears each have two different gears sizes on them, almost like two gears sandwiched together. You'll be placing each gear with the smaller portion of it facing down so that all you see is the smooth portion of the gears face, opposite of what the picture below shows:

The black gear on the right is smallest in overall size but its secondary gear is the largest. The yellow one in the middle is, well, in the middle in terms of primary and secondary gear sizes. The white gear is the largest in size overall but its secondary gear is about the same size as the independent and small gear for the top. Below is a montage of how to put all three main gears on:

Overall Small(Black) on bar next to main gear
Overall Medium(Yellow) on bar with main gear and next to (next to black)
Overall Big(White) on bar with black

The gears should all fit together, so you may have to wiggle them slightly to get them to fall into place.
And finally we add the tiny gear on the top, for making sure it goes on that bar that moved on us before you can use needle nose pliers to grip it as such and then press it on by hand, taking care to not mar the bar nor break the gear:

Now that that is all done, it's as simple as putting the plastic face back on, two screws in and then returning gauge to cluster (make sure you line up those prongs as you really don't want to bend them). Then cluster to dash, and dash back together!

Anywho, my first write up but I'll edit it as I get input : ) Hope this helped everyone!

-Ryki
Last edited by Ryki on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Re: How To DIY: ODO Gear Replacement

Postby M20_fever » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:13 am

excellent write up! Sticky. PM me to get a free set of vinyls.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
87e30
I <3 E30's

Postby 87e30 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:23 am

Now is this for the VDO or Motometer cluster? They have different gears. I know 1 of them has 3 gears, the other has 4. I would think the process would be very similar though. I have one of each cluster and could possibly take side by side comparison pics when I do my gears. I was planning on doing them this morning but last night I snapped one of my new gears in half by mistake. whoops!
Schwarz 5-speed 87 325is (newest project)
Arktisblau 5-speed 86 325e (current DD)
Schwarz 5-speed 87 325e (parts car/LS1 swap?)
Gazellenbeige automatic 85 318i (70,000 miles)
Alpine white 5-speed 87 325is (my first e30, possibly for sale)
99 Suburban
87e30
I <3 E30's

Postby 87e30 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:24 am

Actually your last picture answered my question for me. You have the Motometer gauge in your hand there. :-P
99 Suburban
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:54 am

Yup, this was for the Motometer cluster. Knew some stuff would get messed up, glad I had my wife proofread it to say the least :P I edited the title but it should be really similar as you stated, you can order the VDO set from garagistic as well or if yours has different than normal gear ratios etc.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Re: DIY: ODO Gear Replacement for Motometer

Postby Yoshi » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:05 pm

w00t been lookin for this!
87e30
I <3 E30's

Postby 87e30 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:00 am

Funny how 1 extra gear almost doubles the price for the Motometer kit over the VDO kit. Would it be worth switching to the VDO cluster that I have?
99 Suburban
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:25 am

So I have one little tidbit to add about VDO gauges. Almost everything is identical, and this may be the same for motometer, but if it is it wasn't mentioned. Before you try to pull the speedo out, Make sure you pull the green plug out of the backside first. It had 2 little tabs that just snap in, but if you try to manhandle the gauge out without removing this plug you will end up mangling the 4 prongs that stick into the speedo:

Plug partially removed, you can see the tabs:
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:43 am

I sooo need to do this >_<
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:09 pm

Very nice addition, thanks : )
Definitely have to be wary when dealing with any of those prongs...

Return to “Electrical”