Discussions about anything E30 related.
87e30
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Re: Decode your BMW VIN including factory option list

Postby 87e30 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:12 am

Nsquared97 wrote:And here's mine:

Mine is 10 days younger than yours! :-P

Nsquared97 wrote:Edit:So I figured a couple things out that You guys may be interested in. For drive, not surprisingly, Heck is German for rear (RWD). Also, if your wondering why Power is rated at 125, 125 Kilowats converts to 167.6279 hp.

ok, even more hp than I thought. heh.
Schwarz 5-speed 87 325is (newest project)
Arktisblau 5-speed 86 325e (current DD)
Schwarz 5-speed 87 325e (parts car/LS1 swap?)
Gazellenbeige automatic 85 318i (70,000 miles)
Alpine white 5-speed 87 325is (my first e30, possibly for sale)
99 Suburban
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:58 am

87e30 wrote:Only 125hp? For some reason I thought these had 130something. Another site I checked my VIN on like a year ago said my car was built 4/87, hrm. What the heck's a HECK drive? My OBC has a remote?!? My wheels definitely are NOT chrome plated round spokes, they are silver painted BBS's. No mention of ABS anywhere on there, but my car has (non-working) ABS. AC was deleted since build too lol. Also what is LL steering? Oh, and that Cardinalrot leder interior is available if anyone wants to come pick it up. Not in the best shape though. My cruise control doesn't work... Possibly due to the fact that the stalk just flops around in the steering column, and interferes with the wiper controls. Every time I use my wipers I have to keep flicking the cruise control to make the wipers work. :-P

Pretty sure you noticed my post after posting this, but that power rating isn't in HP. Heck is German for rear, thus RWD. Your turn signal stalk is your OBC remote, push the end in and it should cycle the OBC through it's various displays. And yeah, my basketweaves are definitely not chrome, or even shiney at all anymore lol. I am assuming it doesn't mention ABS as an option because it wasn't; it was standard from a certain point (87?) on. Only the early, early models could be had without ABS (84, 85 etc.) Not sure what the LL steering is, although I think I just figured that one out. I am assuming it means left hand drive, as they were sold with right hand drive in a few markets. And I had the same problem with my cruise, I replaced the stalk but the thing still doesn't work...
-lll._.-
87e30
I <3 E30's

Postby 87e30 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:12 am

Nsquared97 wrote:
87e30 wrote:Only 125hp? For some reason I thought these had 130something. Another site I checked my VIN on like a year ago said my car was built 4/87, hrm. What the heck's a HECK drive? My OBC has a remote?!? My wheels definitely are NOT chrome plated round spokes, they are silver painted BBS's. No mention of ABS anywhere on there, but my car has (non-working) ABS. AC was deleted since build too lol. Also what is LL steering? Oh, and that Cardinalrot leder interior is available if anyone wants to come pick it up. Not in the best shape though. My cruise control doesn't work... Possibly due to the fact that the stalk just flops around in the steering column, and interferes with the wiper controls. Every time I use my wipers I have to keep flicking the cruise control to make the wipers work. :-P

Pretty sure you noticed my post after posting this, but that power rating isn't in HP. Heck is German for rear, thus RWD. Your turn signal stalk is your OBC remote, push the end in and it should cycle the OBC through it's various displays. And yeah, my basketweaves are definitely not chrome, or even shiney at all anymore lol. I am assuming it doesn't mention ABS as an option because it wasn't; it was standard from a certain point (87?) on. Only the early, early models could be had without ABS (84, 85 etc.) Not sure what the LL steering is, although I think I just figured that one out. I am assuming it means left hand drive, as they were sold with right hand drive in a few markets. And I had the same problem with my cruise, I replaced the stalk but the thing still doesn't work...
-lll._.-

lol, yeah, I made another post after my first one about noticing your post. Push the turn signal stalk in? hrm, I'll have to look into that tomorrow (today since it's 4am lol). You sure ABS wasn't an option in 87? My gauge cluster has an ABS light (that's on all the time). I know my ABS doesn't work, and I wouldn't want it to work anyway. ABS has almost caused me to have MANY accidents, especially in the snow. I pulled a gauge cluster out of another 87 at the junkyard (the same one I got the drivers door window from) and it doesn't have an ABS light at all. I guess it's possible that it wasn't the original cluster as I have no knowledge of the history of that car. Where did you buy your cruise stalk, and how much did it run you? Is it true you have to take the steering wheel off to replace it? Pretty much the only reason I'd want to replace mine is to get my wipers working properly. Well, even replacing that won't fix the fact that when they're OFF they are straight up instead of being down lol, but I like it that way.
99 Suburban
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:24 pm

87e30 wrote:lol, yeah, I made another post after my first one about noticing your post. Push the turn signal stalk in? hrm, I'll have to look into that tomorrow (today since it's 4am lol). You sure ABS wasn't an option in 87? My gauge cluster has an ABS light (that's on all the time). I know my ABS doesn't work, and I wouldn't want it to work anyway. ABS has almost caused me to have MANY accidents, especially in the snow. I pulled a gauge cluster out of another 87 at the junkyard (the same one I got the drivers door window from) and it doesn't have an ABS light at all. I guess it's possible that it wasn't the original cluster as I have no knowledge of the history of that car. Where did you buy your cruise stalk, and how much did it run you? Is it true you have to take the steering wheel off to replace it? Pretty much the only reason I'd want to replace mine is to get my wipers working properly. Well, even replacing that won't fix the fact that when they're OFF they are straight up instead of being down lol, but I like it that way.

I'm not entirely sure about ABS not being an option, but it sounds right to me (somebody else chime in on this please! haha) Cruise stalk just came from my parts car lol. Yes you have to take your steering wheel off, but that's incredibly easy. What is a pain is taking the steering column cover and everything else that has to come off to get at the plug. Or you could be lazy like me and forget trying to dig the plug out, and just splice the new stalk in.
87e30
I <3 E30's

Postby 87e30 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:55 am

Thanks for the tip on pushing the blinker stalk in for the OBC scroll. I always wondered why it pushed in. I thought maybe it was to turn cruise on and off, but didn't work cuz the cruise stalk was broken. I learned something new. :-D

Most of the covers under my dash on both sides (including the whole glove box) were removed before I got the car, so I'm thinking I'd have less to take off than you to get at the plug. Some of the covers were in the trunk, along with a slightly broken glove box. Looks like someone locked it and had to get in it without the key, cuz there's marks all over the place like they pried it open.

If I decide to replace my stalk I'll take all the covers off and carefully examine ALL of the wires in there. I'm dying to find out why my doors lock when I flick my high beams! lol
99 Suburban
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:20 am

87e30 wrote:If I decide to replace my stalk I'll take all the covers off and carefully examine ALL of the wires in there. I'm dying to find out why my doors lock when I flick my high beams! lol

Bwahahaha now that's funny shit right there!
87e30
I <3 E30's

Postby 87e30 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:36 pm

Too lazy to take a screenshot and upload it right now, but here's my new (older) e30 info. A whopping 0 horsepower there! :-P I know it's slow but I thought it was more than zero lol. Not nearly as much stuff as my 87. Is there a list anywhere that shows how many of each model/year/color/etc were made? I can't recall ever seeing one in gazellenbeige before. Wondering if a nearly rust free early model in a color I've never seen before may have been a better find than I thought.

Options

Close Vehicle information
Type

Value
VIN WBAAC8408F0688498
Type code 1384
Type 318I (EUR)
E series E30 ()
Series 3
Type LIM
Steering RL
Doors 4
Engine M10
Displacement 1.80
Power 0
Drive HECK
Transmission AUT
Colour GAZELLENBEIGE (128)
Upholstery (0150)
Prod.date 1985-04-01

Close Options
Code

Description (interface)

Description (EPC)
S286A BMW LM RAD/BMW STYLING BMW LA wheel BMW Styling
S400A SCHIEBE-HEBEDACH, MECHANISCH Slide/tilt sunroof, manual
S411A FENSTERHEBER,ELEKTRISCH VORN/HINTEN Window lifts,electric,front/rear
S530A KLIMAANLAGE Air conditioning
S540A GESCHWINDIGKEITSREGELUNG Cruise control

Nsquared97 wrote:Not sure what the LL steering is, although I think I just figured that one out. I am assuming it means left hand drive, as they were sold with right hand drive in a few markets.

I'm assuming you assumed wrong on that one, as my 85 is definitely a left hand drive, but steering shows RL. Anyone know what RL and LL steering is?
99 Suburban
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:13 pm

gotta love that it drives like heck. lol
Delanoso
I <3 E30's

Postby Delanoso » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:56 pm

Anyone figure out what the "Opt. package dummy code no." means? Also, I though the i cars were rated for more power than the e cars. Why do they all show 125kw? So confused. . .

Funny stuff, mine rolled off the line a day after Ponycarman's and from the same plant!

Options.jpg
Options.jpg (165.83 KiB) Viewed 3192 times
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:11 pm

125kw isn't 125 horsepower, there's a good conversion rate of 1 kw to 1.34 horsepower, so that's 167 HP. Hell of a list of options you got there!
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:56 pm

Nsquared97 wrote:Edit:So I figured a couple things out that You guys may be interested in. For drive, not surprisingly, Heck is German for rear (RWD). Also, if your wondering why Power is rated at 125, 125 Kilowats converts to 167.6279 hp.

Could also have something to do with torque, aren't the torque ratings pretty similar between 'e' and 'i' cars?
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:02 am

The 'e' cars had like 12lb/ft more torque than the 'i' cars.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
87e30
I <3 E30's

Postby 87e30 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:39 pm

Delanoso wrote:Anyone figure out what the "Opt. package dummy code no." means?

I think that was the non-existant option package that didn't include anything that they sold to any dummy who would pay extra for it. -grin-
99 Suburban
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:54 pm

I believe it actually denotes the 'iS' option package.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:11 pm

Still weird that this wasn't an option in Germany. You had an engine then you paid for options from there. This has led to a good price hike and rarity for the 325's (tax on the larger engines) as well as the need to decode vins to get the things that you want in the car (sperre is somewhat rare to find here as well -.-)

Return to “General Discussion”