Automatic transmission

Discussions about anything E30 related.
symplej
n00b
AntiSpam: No

Automatic transmission

Postby symplej » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:01 am

Hey, so I'm just sitting around reading posts and someone had mentioned that revving the automatic transmission will ruin it? I wouldn't doubt it, but I was just curious because I have an uh, unique problem with the 325e I bought a little while ago, when I go out to first start it, it will start fine, it will rev up by itself a few seconds after starting, but shortly go back to normal, but then going in reverse, when I let off the gas it will die, but starts right back up and is fine. Try to start the car again after going back to it (say, going into the store and coming back) When I start it, I have to give it gas or it will die briefly after it starts, but then it doesn't die in reverse when I have to give it gas to start it, but giving it gas to start it involves revving the car in park. What do? D: I'm still new to this car haha
Yoshi
Site Admin

Re: Automatic transmission

Postby Yoshi » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:05 pm

I think you want to do a fluid change in the auto tranny. I think that's what it is.

Revving isn't great for autos in gear with the brakes on since the parts are trying to move the car and stop it at the same time. But that isn't your case. You're fine. At least for now. There might be other issues with your car. All that can be fixed by installing a third pedal.
symplej
n00b

Re: Automatic transmission

Postby symplej » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:25 pm

Oh believe me, that would have been one of the first things on the list lol, but I bought the car for my wife actually, something for her to drive and me to work on, she's thoroughly convinced that if she tries to drive a standard that she will drop the transmission out of it, so she won't try lol, maybe one day when I get her a hatchback or something haha, and I will definitely try that, thank you, this car has all sorts of cosmetic issues, and brake line issues, but the engine runs like a champ, could use a valve adjustment though (on the to-do list).

Return to “General Discussion”