What would you guys do? (e46 content)

Discussions about anything E30 related.
Yoshi
Site Admin
AntiSpam: No

What would you guys do? (e46 content)

Postby Yoshi » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:56 pm

So I have this E46 now headless. I can't find any cracks and the overheating could have caused both the block and the head to warp. My budget on cars is $100 a month (give or take) so big things aren't on the table. This wagon will eventually become the next drift car but I don't expect the E30 to die for at least 2 years. As such, I don't like a car sitting in my driveway rusting. I need to do something.

I've pondered:
Selling the damn car as is and cut my losses (wife doesn't like that cuz wagons are hard to find)
Spend ~$500 to put a HG on it (and fix the misc broken shit) and pray it runs. If it doesn't, I'm fucked and back to square 1
Find crashed donor car and part it out. I'd want a 330 but finding one for <$1k will be hard. I could toss in more but I don't think I can swing that much
Let the damn thing sit and rust out while selling what little parts I can
Buy a known good other 323i motor but make the car manual (I have no desire to put back in a torque converter)

There's other options out there right? I probably shouldn't have picked up this car. Had I known it was this bad, I would have passed. I figure, the parts car is the best money idea as I can hopefully sell off enough parts to make the cost of the motor only a few hundred. But then again, another potential bunk motor. A 330 motor would be nice though.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Re: What would you guys do? (e46 content)

Postby M20_fever » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:24 pm

obviously the cheapest answer to your question would be to find a direct replacement used motor and keep the auto until you want to swap the LS into it. Unless it was throwing any trans codes, and it shifted good, and it's a temporary situation, reuse the old torque converter. 323 engines are probably harder to find than 328, but I assume the 328 isn't a direct plug and play replacement, meaning it will cost more money and time.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:46 pm

I find so many 328s. I'd have to flash out the EWS and stuff. Turns out I broke one of the chain retainers taking off the head. I might just part the damn motor and leave it under a cover for a few years. Sad...

Someone suggested I put in an LS with an auto trans. Use it to tow the drift car lol.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:31 pm

yeah, not a great tow vehicle, you'd definitely be over GVWR with a loaded car hauler. I would think the 323 would be way cheaper than the 328, and all you need is the engine. No need to worry about flashing the ecu, or finding OE parts crossover to swap in the different engine, etc...

Here you go $1k, with a Dinan tuned ECU to boot: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/pts/5268875314.html

You could make money parting that thing out and keeping the engine/ECU.
HSAX Instructor

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:53 pm

yea I saw that one. I know jack about autos. I kinda wanna find one for that price point but manual. I'm not in a rush to do this I guess. I emailed that seller with no response the other day :(
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:13 pm

not much to know about autos, really pretty simple things when you get into them. If your just swapping another engine in, just throw the converter in and bolt it up. I saw a couple more 323s in your area for $1500 or less for complete running cars. Seems like if you really like the wagon you'll just need to bite the bullet and drop a grand into it. If you have the time you can part the donor car and make a few bucks, or find someone looking for a whole car to swap something into.
HSAX Instructor

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:49 pm

323s are such a pile. I could def use the spare parts. I'll likely have to save up cash for a few months to do this. Maybe use the CC.
pr0craztinazn
I <3 E30's

Postby pr0craztinazn » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:11 pm

That is actually a pretty solid deal since he notes the car starts and runs. The 328i option also uses MS42 management and would be not as difficult to code as MS43 used with the 330i engine/M54B30.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:22 pm

He never emailed back. I think it's sold.

Return to “General Discussion”