Suspension thoughts out loud

Lets face it, E30s love going sideways.
Yoshi
Site Admin
AntiSpam: No

Suspension thoughts out loud

Postby Yoshi » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:13 pm

I've been doing some reason (still am really) on the only similar chassis to an E30. The FC RX7. Since not many people drift E30s and the few that do either don't think too hard about setup or don't openly share info, this is the best alternative I could think of. The main point being the trailing arm rear suspension.

Admittedly, this is the weakest link for an E30 in drifting. As the car lowers, the rear toes in and tends towards massive negative camber. To counteract this, I installed the rear camber/toe weld in kit. Then I set the whole suspension setup to max pos camber and max toe out. Now I think this was a mistake.

In my current drift car, I'm super low power. Ok not rolla low power but still low. Pos camber (I'm probably at 0 right now) gives me full on traction. This would be great for my 245s and 380whp but when I can barely keep the 195 spinning, this probably isn't a good idea. Also, with 0 toe in the rear, the car steps out easier but the rear, even with 75D poly bushings, deflects to toe out in the rear. Originally, I thought this was good as it aids initial turn in/kick out. Now I'm thinking that massive toe in will round out to almost no toe mid drift.

TL;DR
Currently max pos camber/toe out is bad
Switch to max neg camber/toe in and try that.

Thoughts?
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Re: Suspension thoughts out loud

Postby M20_fever » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:22 pm

So we're just talking about the setup for your current low power drift car right? If so, I would go with some more POS camber and throw a huge sway bar in back. I would think that would give you better contact patch mid drift and still make the car really tail happy.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:27 pm

I've committed to keeping the rear sway off. It makes the car too snap back happy. Although with the stiff springs it might not make that big off a diff... I might try that later.

I'm thinking that I want neg camber for LESS grip. Keep the tires spinning you know?
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:31 pm

Well, I'm really just thinking of what I would not do to my car, lol. Have you considered running higher tire pressure out back to reduce contact patch? If your running no sway out back now try the stock sway, might be a happy medium.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:36 pm

I originally had the HR sway bar then I went to the stock one, then to none. None def did the trick. I currently run about 60psi in all my tires lol.

Chelsea Denofa's alignment specs (yea E36 but most things transfer):

FRONT
Camber - -4.8
Caster - +8
Toe - 1.5 inch out (total)

REAR
Camber - -.75
Toe - 1 inch in (total)

the toe-in in the rear is scary. 1.5 toe out int he front? WOW...

Return to “Drifting”