Super stiff = Super sideways?

Lets face it, E30s love going sideways.
BMW BUM
E30 Guy

Super stiff = Super sideways?

Postby BMW BUM » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:57 am

Just curious what sway bars and spring rates everyone is running and such. I'll start:

Springs: Vogtland 225lb front 400 rear, pretty low, not super stiff
Shocks/Strut inserts: Bilsteins, probably blown out soon, taking recommendations for new ones (top adjustable plz?) wasn't super impressed with these
Sway bars: Addco Solid 25.4mm front Addco Solid 19mm rear, the stiffest thing I found, and they aren't as bulky as the hollow IE bars are

Other stuff includes m3 control arm bushings clocked to 6 o clock position rather than traditional installation for anti-dive/squat, more noticeable than caster from traditional installation. All bushings are being replaced with AKG as they fail, and potentially moving to solid aluminum subframe mounts and adding the spacers to the diff carrier since I keep killing my subframe bushings (I WONDER HOW?!?!?!)
joecrotch
I <3 E30's

Re: Super stiff = Super sideways?

Postby joecrotch » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:38 am

i am just starting out in the drifting scene have been to one event and my second is this sat.
but I tell you what I will def be stiffing everything up also I read somewhere that getting rid of the sway bar on e30's helps a lot when transitioning. also just ordered my sub frame bushings all alum :) let you know how they work out!
The Free A Yoshi Foundation. Ask how you can make a difference!
Yoshi
Site Admin
AntiSpam: No

Postby Yoshi » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:27 pm

I dunno if stiffening up that much is a good idea. There is such thing as "too stiff". Traditionally, drifters go for stiffer but you need some give.

With that said, I hate soft spring rates. My springs were the 215 and 500 HR race ones and my car would have more body roll than you can think of. i have coils now and forget their rates but I'm guessing they are going to be too soft too.

What are the main causes of body roll in our cars?
BMW BUM
E30 Guy

Postby BMW BUM » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:38 am

Well for starters when you lower the car the sway bars effectively become less stiff due to geometry changes, so unless you have special or adjustable end links for your setup, your anti-sway bar is technically doing less than it would be on a stock ride height e30. Which is what leaves a good bit of body roll when lowering the vehicle even with the use of stiffer springs. My springs are relatively soft right now as well, only 225f 400r, and with the drop you really need to run stiffer bars to retain a stock stiffness, but it's nice on a track where the softness allows for high corner exit speeds, but I think the big solid sway bars will be much better for high entry speed stability when pitching her around and billowing smoke from the rear tires.

Everyone has their own taste, I prefer the feel of slightly softer springs on slightly stiffer sways personally... makes weight transition easier for me to feel and control personally.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Hmm. thanks for the input bmw bum! and if I haven't said so. Welcome to the boards.
DoriMeister
E30 Guy

Postby DoriMeister » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:58 am

How about J-Stock springs ?
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:18 pm

I love the sound of Jstocks. Never tried them tho. they are progressive in the front btw.

Return to “Drifting”