How do I drift an e30?

Lets face it, E30s love going sideways.
DonkeyPunch
E30 Guy

How do I drift an e30?

Postby DonkeyPunch » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:51 am

So I just turn the wheel and floor it right? :|
My signature is to help me find my last post like a bookmark.
Should I make it flashy with colors, and a picture of my car?
This is fine... People will know it's me just by looking at this text,
not my screen name.BLUE or perhaps a large .gif. Hmm.
Yoshi
Site Admin
AntiSpam: No

Re: How do I drift an e30?

Postby Yoshi » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:57 am

are you really asking? cuz many ppl have said that to me before and been sarcastic.

Whats your setup? manua/auto. open diff/lsd. etc etc
DonkeyPunch
E30 Guy

Postby DonkeyPunch » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:39 pm

I was just joking.

Are these cars harder to do it in compared to tokyo drift
type cars like 240s and drifto supras? :?:
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:40 pm

240s are the freaking easy button. E30s aren't too bad if done right. We just don't have the drift specific aftermarket like nissans do. Makes me mad.
DonkeyPunch
E30 Guy

Postby DonkeyPunch » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:51 pm

So basically the drifter setup would be almost solid suspension on
super stretched tires huh?
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:55 pm

hahaha stretched tires.

You want low and relatively stiff suspension work. I still haven't 100% gotten down my drifting suspension so I can't give you specifics.
BMW BUM
E30 Guy

Postby BMW BUM » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:54 pm

I like a bit of weight transfer to control, so not retarded stiff springs, I am only running 225f 400r, but I like super stiff sway bars coupled with it, I am going to be giving addco 25.4mm front and 19mm rear solid bars a go here in the next month or so, theyy are the stiffest sways available. I also want to find some shock/strut inserts that match my spring rates better, my last ones I didn't like at all.

If you run offset m3 control arm bushings but rather than the mounting hole being next to the arm of the lollipop for the caster gain, you can mount them with the hole at the 6 o clock position, so the bottom of the lollipop when facing them on the car, for anti-dive/squat, which is more noticeable I have found.
fiercee30
n00b

Postby fiercee30 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:19 am

well if you want to lean the basics you will need to know how to do donuts in a circle then when you master that get at me i am a student of the drift game hahah i have a E30 84 ETA and drift it all the time i hope to move on up to a 240 and hopefully become a pro drifter. if you have more question s about drifting hit me up :mrgreen:
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:57 am

move up to a 240 psha! don't use the easy button.
BMW BUM
E30 Guy

Postby BMW BUM » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:39 am

screw 240's... they are gay. The two guys I usually drift with both have 240's, one is a track setup car that just drifts for fun like me, the other is essentially just a drift abuse car with a welded diff that gets junked tires swapped on to shred for hours. Both are bolt on modded ka24de's, and neither has near the power band the e30 has or the ability to really light em up like it does. "Yeah but not if it has a sr20det or rb25/6 blah blah blah" Yeah well you can just as easily boost an m20, on stock internals, and blow that shit away for relatively cheap too.

Regardless it's best to not modify your setup from stock for learning. Use shit tired... like literally get used tires from a local shop for next to nothing and just swap them every week or so and shred em up. All you need to have when you are starting out is any rear wheel drive car that has a limited slip diff. Don't dick around with the e-brake either, thats for countering understeer when sliding not for initiating proper slides. use it if you have to but you'll be better off if you practice without it and only implement it if you come in too fast and understeer.
Joe_Beard
E30 Guy

Postby Joe_Beard » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:20 pm

Im a fan of the e_brake.

Even though 1/2 of my drifting days I didn't have one at all.

Drifting an e30 is pretty easy IMO but the big problem is they they have shit for steering angle.

The E36 rack can only do so much.

Flick the car, then power over! you just drifted.
BMW BUM
E30 Guy

Postby BMW BUM » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:11 pm

run up to redline in first almost, shift to second, run up to redline almost... put clutch to the floor, apply no gas, let revs fall to near idle speed, side step off the clutch as you cut the wheel hard, then modulate throttle = gangster sliding lol. the ebrake in e30's isn't super effective to say the least, so doing that is a much easier way to prevent understeer during faster entries, and since it's all throttle modulation and countersteer after you steer in and side step the clutch, you can learn to control your angle and speed very well.

On a side note always be sure your brake fluid is fairly fresh if you intend to go out and be a dorifto superstar for very long... people always seem to forget about the brake fluid (which is pretty important with a hydolic clutch!) and boil the shit when they go out because it's old and should have been changed for prolonged abuse like that. Or switch to some good Motul or similar so you don't have to worry about it as often (or ever! haha).
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:56 pm

wow bmw bum. didn't know you were that into drifting. I guess E30tech is just that drift unfriendly.
BMW BUM
E30 Guy

Postby BMW BUM » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:00 am

Yeah you catch the whole "ricer fuh raze" attitude on almost any e30 forum it seems... 95% of them want a perfect interior, perfect paint and a set of super rare expensive wheels... then 5% want a combination of that stuff and to go "faster" even thought hey do nothing but daily drive their cars with the exception of a handful who race.

I'm not super into drifting, I'd like to spend a lot more time at it... I can go to the drift meets with the local 2nd gen rx-7's, 240sx's, supra's, ae86's and such and represent the e30 fair enough though when I have time. The scene isn't very big out my way either... sadly one of the big guys in the scene got shot by an ex police officer who apparently had a breakdown and shot 7 people while sitting in traffic here in Dallas... whole drift progression here has slowed down a bit since that, he was big in organizing events out at mineral wells raceway and stuff because he had $$ and supported a lot of the event stuff.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:02 am

oh yea. I heard about the guy that got shot. his car was nice too. Shame shit like that happens.

Return to “Drifting”