How do I drift an e30?

Lets face it, E30s love going sideways.
BMW BUM
E30 Guy

Re: How do I drift an e30?

Postby BMW BUM » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:39 am

I meant to ask you, what steering rack are you running currently? One of my biggest limitations is my stock rack, I've been trying to hunt down a 1.9l z3 dry rack potentially, since it's the lowest ratio rack to possible stuff under the car, but I could use a power steering z3 rack and still have much much better steering setup... i was contemplating an in line quickener from Vorshlag as well. The racks are just so damn scarce right now, Jordan aka Stuck down in Houston hasn't had any for 8 months or so, I;m always after him for one... there's a waiting list too :(
LEAN_E30
E30 Guy

Postby LEAN_E30 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:24 am

i need to get my shit working and right so i can get it out there sometime this summer. it needs alot of work right now... being a college student didn't bode well for my e30 budget these past few years
Yoshi
Site Admin
AntiSpam: No

Postby Yoshi » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:08 pm

I'm still using stock. I haven't gotten to the point of needing the extra angle just yet. I really could care less about the turns to lock though. When drifting, the wheel spins itself. I consider the extra turns "sensitivity".

But I plan to just get any old E36 rack and mod out the inner tie rods so the stops are a half inch farther away and/or ground down. The other option is to weld the tie rod bolt holes closer to the control arm. Use some geometry on it's ass.

LEAN_E30 wrote:i need to get my shit working and right so i can get it out there sometime this summer. it needs alot of work right now... being a college student didn't bode well for my e30 budget these past few years

I'm still technically a college student lol. Never stopped me but I was poor as shit.
BMW BUM
E30 Guy

Postby BMW BUM » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:24 am

<--- Still a college student as well lol
LEAN_E30
E30 Guy

Postby LEAN_E30 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:56 am

i still managed a decent setup. i just need to get some new clutch hardware and throwout so i can install this new(to me, good condition) s50 clutch + fly, i think i'm just gonna install the heavy dual mass and get use to it. i need to do a new guibo and replace all the seals on my 260. you pour oil in and in about 1.5 blocks it just pours right back out. LOL

i want to do all new bushings, swap my rear sub (for my backup which has fresh polys) as well as reinforce and redesign my rear sway tabs for more setting selections. do it all at once while i have it all broken down.

i need to source some good condition cheap adjustable konis for the rear so i can dump these worthless billys.

yeah... that about sums it all up.

then it's just redoing some undercoating and working on paint. so really, shocks aside, i'm lookin at less than $150 in parts plus my time, which i don't have either to spare at this current point in my life.
Orac
n00b

Postby Orac » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:34 am

Just give it a bit of a flick as you come on to boost :twisted:
BMW BUM
E30 Guy

Postby BMW BUM » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:24 am

dual mass flywheel is epic drifter sexiness. Nothing breaks the rears free like all that extra rotating mass with so much stored energy, I'm being dead serious. My new 12lb machined flywheel feels like a limp noodle when I hammer shifts compared to the Thor's hammer effect of slamming a shift with a 58lb dual mass setup :p

I pretty much miss everything about my m20b27... m20b25's are rubbish :lol:
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:13 pm

lol thor's hammer dual mass flywheel.
joecrotch
I <3 E30's

Postby joecrotch » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:40 pm

BMW BUM wrote:compared to the Thor's hammer effect of slamming a shift with a 58lb dual mass setup :p

that has to be the greatest description of the dual mass I have ever heard not to mention the first description of the dual mass I have ever heard that was positive. kudos to you!
The Free A Yoshi Foundation. Ask how you can make a difference!
DoriMeister
E30 Guy

Postby DoriMeister » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:29 pm

Trent
E30 Guy

Postby Trent » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:01 pm

+1 on the first positive description of dual mass fly wheel.
I wouldnt mind seting up a e30 drifter seems i got a spare
sheel i might jus do this in the future.
Cheers for the inspiration guys
505gummybear
n00b

Postby 505gummybear » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:50 am

i would love to see more e30s drifting or hell anything other then 240s. At the drift events here there is just 240s as far as the eye can see then in the back 1 cressida and 1 supra (mine). Its boring already last year there were 2 e30s and they were doing good considering the only mods were chopped exhaust and weldid diff now the guys have 240s yawn. Dont get me wrong i love 240s but come on be different and somebody anybody build a e30 wagon to drift.
who da best TMS
Davey
E30 Guy

Postby Davey » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:35 am

BMW BUM wrote:I meant to ask you, what steering rack are you running currently? One of my biggest limitations is my stock rack, I've been trying to hunt down a 1.9l z3 dry rack potentially, since it's the lowest ratio rack to possible stuff under the car, but I could use a power steering z3 rack and still have much much better steering setup... i was contemplating an in line quickener from Vorshlag as well. The racks are just so damn scarce right now, Jordan aka Stuck down in Houston hasn't had any for 8 months or so, I;m always after him for one... there's a waiting list too :(

Dude just go for a standard e36 rack, still a vast improvement over the e30 unit and a whole lot easier to source/cheaper than a z3 one..

(OO=[][]=OO) - www.eurocca.net
'89 E30 318i - The Reciever
'89 E30 318i M50b25tu Turbo - The Donor - Is Alive!! - Much Tuning Needed :P
DonkeyPunch
E30 Guy

Postby DonkeyPunch » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:18 pm

So say an e30, volvo, supra, 240 are setup "correctly"
for drifting.

Would the 240 still be the easiest thing to drift?
why?
My signature is to help me find my last post like a bookmark.
Should I make it flashy with colors, and a picture of my car?
This is fine... People will know it's me just by looking at this text,
not my screen name.BLUE or perhaps a large .gif. Hmm.
Jeremy@Altered
n00b

Postby Jeremy@Altered » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:16 am

Whats up guys?! I just grabbed up my first e30. I am into drifting a lot for fun and have been around it for a while. I work up at a shop now in MD. Always dealt with Nissans for the most part but honestly of all the cars i have had, i swear this $1000 beater is my favorite yet. I just closed down a shop in orlando called Performance Factory. We ran two Formula D cars all last season. Just wanted to say whats up and i will be posting around the e30 world now and hitting up some local events....

Return to “Drifting”