I drift the turbo beast tomorrow.

Lets face it, E30s love going sideways.
madmaverick
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Re: I drift the turbo beast tomorrow.

Postby madmaverick » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:19 pm

Sucks about the rain. Looks like a fun track though.

Nice job!
nogapersnBMWs
I <3 E30's

Postby nogapersnBMWs » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:44 pm

Yoshi wrote:The new suspension setup is definitely helping quite a bit. Unfortunately, I'm fucking with it again before the next event lol. Top adjustable konis and 10k springs up front. Although the 8k/14k felt pretty good. Might just be the rain.

Driving looks so fun. Trying to dial in or evaluate a new suspension in the rain, looks like no fun (unless you trying to dial it in or evaluate it for the wet!). I remember you discussing using stock sway bar and no sway bar in the rear. Are you runnin' either of these?
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:37 pm

Running no sway bar probably would have helped me but its been too rainy to work on my car at all. I just ran what I had. Next dry day, I will def be fucking with many setups.

mav, got any tips on sways? I have 19mm fronts and 21mm rears but softer seems to be the drifter mantra.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:07 pm

madmaverick
I <3 E30's

Postby madmaverick » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:03 am

Yoshi wrote:mav, got any tips on sways? I have 19mm fronts and 21mm rears but softer seems to be the drifter mantra.

I haven't messed with them too much. I run stock sways that are barely held in by stripped out bolts. I know people who like to run really stiff sways and others that swear by stock bars. Its really a matter of preference/experience. That being said, they can be used to phase out understeer/dial in oversteer when properly set up.

wikipedia wrote: Understeer or oversteer behavior can be tuned out by changing the proportion of the total roll stiffness that comes from the front and rear axles. Increasing the proportion of roll stiffness at the front will increase the proportion of the total load transfer that the front axle reacts and decrease the proportion that the rear axle reacts. This will cause the outer front wheel to run at a higher slip angle, and the outer rear wheel to run at a lower slip angle, which is an understeer effect. Increasing the proportion of roll stiffness at the rear axle will have the opposite effect and decrease understeer.

I would start by trying a stiffer rear sway and see how that affects car handling. Then go back to stock and try a stiffer front, then both. See how you like each setup and go from there. Are there adjustable sways available?
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:38 am

Yes there are. Mine are adjustable in the rear. I feel like they are too stiff. I hear taking out the sway in the rear helps rear stability.
madmaverick
I <3 E30's

Postby madmaverick » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:45 am

Yoshi wrote:Yes there are. Mine are adjustable in the rear. I feel like they are too stiff. I hear taking out the sway in the rear helps rear stability.

You could try starting from scratch. Disconnect the links on all the bars and see how it feels, then add just the rear. Do the same with the front. Get a feel for how it changes and dial it in from there. Driver preference is a huge factor. Look at NASCAR, some guys go out there with crazy loose cars and others run a real tight setup but somehow it works for all of them.

Return to “Drifting”