Guns

If you can't find a spot for it, Fine! do it here.
ponycarman
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Guns

Postby ponycarman » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:02 am

Im looking into getting a gun. Anyone know anything about them? Any advice? Like on the best gun for the money, reliablility and such. Also wanting to get a concealed weapon permit. Any info on that process or is it different in every state?
1986 325es
1995 525i
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Re: Guns

Postby M20_fever » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:07 am

carry permits differ by state, you'll have to check the SC laws. Most states that allow it require you to complete a course at your own expense. I have fair knowledge of guns, own several. I am mostly into shot guns, that is where much of my knowledge is.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
ponycarman
I <3 E30's

Postby ponycarman » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:09 am

Cool. Im probly going to be more toward hand guns. The shotguns and rifles and possibilities later but im not really a hunter so I probly wouldnt have much use for them.
1986 325es
1995 525i
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:37 am

I don't hunt either, I shoot sporting clays which is 100% fun!

Sporting clays is a form of clay pigeon shooting, often described as "golf with a shotgun" because a typical course includes from 10 to 15 different shooting stations laid out over natural terrain. For safety, the course size is often no smaller than 35 acres (140,000 m2).[1]

Unlike trap and skeet, which are games of repeatable target presentations, sporting clays simulates the unpredictability of live-quarry shooting, offering a great variety of trajectories, angles, speeds, elevations, distances, and target sizes.

A typical course consists of 10 to 15 stations, with each station presenting targets from trap machines. Usually 5 to 10 targets are shot at each station by a squad of up to six shooters for a total outing of 50 to 100 targets per person. Targets are thrown as singles and pairs. A pair of targets may be thrown as a true pair (or sim pair, i.e., thrown at the same time), as a following pair (thrown sequentially), or on report (the second clay launched on the report of the shooter’s gun).[4] Numerous hunting conditions can be simulated by combining various speeds and angles with different types of clay targets. Each station is unique. Throughout a course, the shooters might see targets crossing from either side, coming inward, going outward, flying straight up, rolling on the ground, arcing high in the air, or thrown from towers.[3] The possible target presentations are limited only by safety considerations, the terrain, and the imagination of the course designer. The configuration of the stations is often changed to maintain interest for the shooters and for environmental preservation of the course.

Me shooting at a local course.

If you looking at handguns you can carry for personal protection I would recommend something in .45 caliber, semi auto. Best bang for the buck stopping power. The police used them for decades until they switched to the 9mm, in subsequent years many departments reverted back to the .45 because of it's stopping power. 9mm are piercing rounds that tend to penetrate too much, so when cops would shoot someone the bullets would go clean through the person and they would keep coming, where the .45 is like hitting someone with a sledge hammer, it stops them dead (pun intended). ;)

this is a good read: http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/ccw/selection.htm
HSAX Instructor

ponycarman
I <3 E30's

Postby ponycarman » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:32 pm

Cool! Shooting at the clays sounds fun. Im looking into taking the class. I just talked to the teacher today. I dont know yet when Ill be able to take it though. I really like the 1911 pistol style. That would probably be my dream gun. Im looking into some bugdet friendly choices. I would also like my first one to be small enough to conceal well in all type of clothes. Some of the big guns are harder to conceal. Definately would get a bigger one later though.
1986 325es
1995 525i
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:02 am

1911 is a timeless design, very reliable in most any condition. It can be a bit cumbersome to conceal though. You could look at some snub nose .38 as well, good stopping power in a pretty small frame.
HSAX Instructor

ponycarman
I <3 E30's

Postby ponycarman » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:01 am

Yeah thats primarily what Ive been researching. The small subcompact .38 pistols. Mainly the little semiautomatic ones. Just comparing and researching them all to see whats going to be the best choice and best buy.
1986 325es
1995 525i
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:03 pm

Best advice I can give you is don't buy the cheapest one you can find, stick with a name brand like Smith & Wesson, Beretta, Colt, Browning, Freedom Arms, or Heckler & Koch. I don't know if you have Gander Mountain around you, but they carry used guns for really fair prices.

Personally I want to get an unconcealed carry liscence so I can hang a couple of these from my hip. :)

HSAX Instructor

ponycarman
I <3 E30's

Postby ponycarman » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:10 am

Yeah Im trying to do my homework on them all. So far Ive been looking most into two. They are both pretty budget friendly. The ruger lcp and the taurus tcp. Both are very similar. But there are some slight differences. The rugar is a little more pricy, and the taurus has a few more features. Ive studied both of them and it looks about even with the quality and reliability. Some people love one or the other and some have had problems with one or the other. The taurus does have a lifetime warrenty which is kinda nice. But it seems like it will come down to personal preference really. Those are the main ones Ive looked at, have looked through alot of others but kinda narrowed it down to these. Unless the teacher of the cc class says anything different, Ill probly end up with one of these i think. But anything is possible hehe.
1986 325es
1995 525i
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:51 am

Get the Rugar, avoid anything Taurus. Avoid any gun with a "lifetime warranty", real quality gun manufacturers don't need to advertise a lifetime warranty.
HSAX Instructor

ponycarman
I <3 E30's

Postby ponycarman » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:38 pm

Thats the one Ive been leaning towards. The taurus is $40 cheaper and Ive read from alot of people that they can make some good guns. But I am willing to pay the extra $40 for a gun of better quality. And the features that the taurus has are nice but not really a necessity. I also looked at the sig sauer p238 yesterday. It is an extremely nice gun. Has very good quality and features. It is based off the 1911 style. But it is a good $200 more than the ruger and I dont really know if it is worth it. At least not right now.
1986 325es
1995 525i
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:26 pm

sig is a really nice gun, but the Rugar will do everything you need and last forever.
HSAX Instructor

ponycarman
I <3 E30's

Postby ponycarman » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:28 am

So I went to academy sports store today. Went to kinda look and get to hold and feel how the guns Ive been looking at felt in my hands and everything. Held the ruger and it was nice but I wasnt ver comfy in my hand because I have long fingers and it was kinda hard to get at the trigger. The taurus was nice too and it kinda surprised me. It was slightly bigger and felt a little better in my hand but over all it didnt really feel like it had the same quality and fit and finish as the ruger. The one that surprised me most and accually won my heart hehe is the bersa thunder 380. Its the same caliber as the others Ive looked at. It is slightly bigger but not overly big or too big. Its basically a walther ppk replica. So it looks awesome like the old bond gun. From what Ive researched its a wonderfull value for about $270. Has great features that the other guns dont have and is very reliable. Pretty much everyone that has one really loves it. All these reasons are why I like it. It very affordable but the biggest reason is that it was by far the very best feeling in my hand and was the most comfortable. The sights are pretty good, not the best but way better than the other guns I looked at. It was a very simple gun too. Mainly three pieces, the slide, the slide spring, and the main gun part. Its all the wonders of the ppk without the price hehe. So I think I found a winner but I dont know when Im going to get one or any other gun yet. Guess we will see. You dont need a liscence to buy a gun do you?
1986 325es
1995 525i
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:37 am

again, it depends on the state. Here in IL you need a firearms card to buy a gun or even ammo, but just over the boarder in WI you don't.
HSAX Instructor

ponycarman
I <3 E30's

Postby ponycarman » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:15 am

Ill check out the local laws. I doubt they will be very strict. We are the rednecks hehe and everyone has guns down here. But I guess its like that in alot of places.
1986 325es
1995 525i

Return to “Off Topic”