Question: Designing a Garage, Y'all's Thoughts?

If you can't find a spot for it, Fine! do it here.
Ryki
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Question: Designing a Garage, Y'all's Thoughts?

Postby Ryki » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:08 pm

Well, I didn't know what kind of garages our members were working with but I figured I'd start a topic for those people who like designing things. I have a background in metal construction, did it for a good portion of my able-to-work life. I have always liked the idea of having a garage bigger than my house and I am finding that very easily doable since I can build it myself. I actually priced up a three walled 3 car carport for about 1800 bucks or so, in addition to whatever I want to do for flooring. Along with this idea, I've been drawing and redrawing my designs for a house as I plan to build one once I get out of the military, but those are ever changing and more personal and less applicable to us here.

Now, things I would like to talk about is the possibility for overhead storage, lifts, work areas for types of jobs and probably most important in my book, ease of clean up. I have an idea for a building with basic pitch, 1 on 12 or 2 on 12 depending on region. I'd probably do a 14' side wall with whatever peak matches so I can have a 12' door comfortable there. I figured a 40x30' would be able to have three cars comfortably and the ideas stretch from there. I could have three car bays, one with a lift and one with a drive on stationary raised ramp. Third bay would be for standard working etc. Facing the garage would be the 40' portion. To the right of the three garage doors would a walk through door to enter the open portion to the right of the bays where normal tools would be. I like the idea of having my own tire machine as well as a computer for diagnostic uses solely. A toolbox for foreign sizes and a toolbox for standard sizes would do well. I figured things like sand beading and painting and vehicle cleaning would be best done elsewhere. I'm not sure I want to build my own paint booth but it may be nice to have a smaller enclosed space for one car that would be the "tear down area" that would also be separate from the open working area. I also know I can make storage in an overhead area above the standard workspace for parts etc.

Carport for D.D.'s would be on the house (I can make it to match, that was my dad's specialty) and a carport on the back of the garage would be for parts/donor cars so they would be out of the weather mostly and out of sight. I could do a 20' extension and close the backwall but leave both ends open, allowing me to drive future work truck and car trailer through instead of backing in and out and against the building I could put storage from 8' up and put donor/parts cars below.

Now, what have y'all seen in garages that you like? What would be things that you like to see? I know my description was lengthy and may not present the best idea of what I'm getting at but I also have other ideas to go on. I'm not useful like some of our members in terms of making parts or having a wealth of knowledge but maybe I can help with this, or vice versa : )
Yoshi
Site Admin

Re: Question: Designing a Garage, Y'all's Thoughts?

Postby Yoshi » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:19 pm

I wish I had flat land to make a car port :(
Court M3
I <3 E30's

Postby Court M3 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:41 pm

www.garagejournal.com Some pretty awesome garages there, and a great place to get ideas from
1983 S50 swapped 323i
1988 M3
1997 z3 1.9
2004 X3 2.5
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:30 pm

Heh, I drove through VA once to work on my TDI (-.-), you have cliffs for back yards lol!
Awesome website Court! I'll definitely be browsing that as well, though I fear it'll add to my rather random assortment of knowledge >.>
AustinR
I <3 E30's

Postby AustinR » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:25 am

This is a really cool idea. Seems really regional to me. For example you speak of a car port. I live in Michigan, so a carport is something you definitely don't want to work on your car in. I know your garage idea isn't a carport, just saying.
Also, about the paint booth. It'd be cool to have one, but think about how often you are going to actually paint a car. You could build the garage so it is easily possible to hang some type of sheeting around one of the car ports in order to contain the overspray. Maybe make a big vent in one of the walls with a fan and everything (probably wouldn't be a bad idea for a garage anyway).

Sounds like you have a pretty big future yard :) I'm currently in the process of looking for my first house. There's lots of options out there, but in this area, there aren't too many awesomely huge garages. Mostly tiny little one car shacks sadly.
M20_fever wrote:Austin is right.
Nsquared97 wrote:You were right again Austin!
87e30 wrote:Austin is right yet again!

Build Thread
WildKarrde
I <3 E30's

Postby WildKarrde » Wed May 22, 2013 12:14 pm

My dream garage would hold about 12 cars, then I would put two frame lifts in the garage, and 10 platform lifts. Then I'd have a well decked out 1000 - 1500 sq. ft. apartment overlooking the garage floor.
(OO==[][]==OO)
1990 BMW 735i
1987 BMW 325e
1988 BMW 325i Convertible

Check out my Project C.A.R.S. videos!
https://www.youtube.com/c/WildKarrdeGaming
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed May 22, 2013 12:20 pm

lol I was looking at a house for sale the other day. They put a garage onto the side of the house but didn't take out the kitchen window. So you could see into the garage while making dinner.

I imagine the wife looking in every now and then while making dinner and going "yep, still alive".
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed May 22, 2013 6:58 pm

that's bad ass, it's like a drive through window in your garage. No need to go inside and eat dinner, just have the Wife push a tray through the window.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Ryki
I <3 E30's

Postby Ryki » Fri May 24, 2013 11:05 pm

Nice set up, I was going to do a larger garage with an office with the side facing the garage see through, make the area a plays area or living area. I think Yoshi has the right idea, food to go! I always forget to eat when I start working -.-

Return to “Off Topic”