I want to kick this cold weather in the fayse! (engine problems)

If you can't find a spot for it, Fine! do it here.
87e30
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

I want to kick this cold weather in the fayse! (engine problems)

Postby 87e30 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:34 am

So Thursday morning I leave for work wearing jeans and a sleeveless t-shirt under a hoodie. 30-40 minutes later I'm at work and it's like 30 degrees colder than when I left my house. Had to put on a coat and tuck my shirt in to keep some of the wind out and stay warm. Now I've been filling my rad with plain water since before the summer because of the crack in it. I'd just have to add about a gallon a week or so, and everything was fine.... Until Thursday night. I overheated on my way home from work. Pulled into a 7-11 parking lot and dumped about a gallon of water into the tank, let it cool down a few minutes, then drove the last couple miles home. Got home, dumped in another gallon or so of water and went to bed.

Friday morning I almost overheated on my way to work. The first few blocks I heard a lot of belt screeching, which I figured could have been caused by me getting water (that froze) on the belts the night before. My temp gauge didn't move most of my way to work. Several times I shut off the engine while coasting down the highway to try keeping it from getting hot since obviously nothing was circulating to reach the temp sensor. I know it was hot because at one red light I stopped at steam started pouring out from under my hood. Get to work and bring the car into the shop where it's still in the 50's vs the low 20's it was outside.

Friday evening I finally get my hands on a thin 32mm wrench to get my fan clutch off so I can swap in another one and change my radiator. I wanted to flush as much of the water out as I could, so I started it up with the rad disconnected, expecting to see rusty looking water come gushing out of one of the hoses. Not a drop. So with the engine still running I pour half a gallon into the coolant tank and it still doesn't come out of the hoses. Now I grab a gallon of water and keep pouring until I notice there's water dripping on the ground under the engine. I'm thinking the water pump exploded or something, but I can tell there's no water coming from that area. I see one of the freeze plugs on the passenger side of the engine doesn't seem to be in all the way, but again it's dry near it, and the engine isn't even warmed up yet, so I know it's not evaporating. Go around to the driver side of the engine and 2 freeze plugs are gone. Well, one of them was still NEAR the hole, but the other one took off somewhere while I was driving, I'm sure.

I was able to tap the plug back into place on the passenger side. I'm not sure if it'll leak, but if it does I have spares. I bought 11 new plugs from the only parts store I could find that still stocks them (which also happens to be the closest parts store to my house). The plug by the bitch tube I could access from under the car with it up on the lift, but I mangled the hell out of the plug trying to get it in with a small hammer and a pipe. I might pull that one back out and try it again. The other missing one I can't get to without at least removing the starter. I was planning on doing that today after work, but I got stuck at our new location fixing the bosses computer. I'm not heading over to the old building after I leave here. I haven't even had lunch yet!

Anyone got a few hours to spare and wanna lend a hand? I'm not expecting anyone to say yes, but if they do they would be my new best friend. lol
Schwarz 5-speed 87 325is (newest project)
Arktisblau 5-speed 86 325e (current DD)
Schwarz 5-speed 87 325e (parts car/LS1 swap?)
Gazellenbeige automatic 85 318i (70,000 miles)
Alpine white 5-speed 87 325is (my first e30, possibly for sale)
99 Suburban
Yoshi
Site Admin

Re: I want to kick this cold weather in the fayse! (engine problems)

Postby Yoshi » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:41 pm

If I didn't have a baby and I lived within an hour or two, I probably would help you out.

But man... really? You waited THAT long to fix a leak? It's mid december! lol. Freeze plugs aren't fuses :-p
87e30
I <3 E30's

Postby 87e30 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:57 pm

It's not like it was a BAD leak. I was honestly more concerned about my fan clutch slipping and getting too warm at idle. The hole started out as just a bit of coolant seeping out after shutting off the engine. It progressively got worse, but wasn't really cause for concern as long as I was just using water and the weather didn't do me like it obviously just did. I actually had every intention of replacing the fan clutch, radiator, blower resistor, and blower motor over this past weekend. Looks like I'm gonna be stuck at my shop until after midnight tonight. Wish me luck!
99 Suburban
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:59 am

GL man. Still think you shoulda fixed the leak before december :-p
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:40 pm

Even if you weren't going to fix the leak, at least put coolant in there once it starts getting cold out...You're lucky you didn't crack the block, popping 3-4 freeze plugs is no joke.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
87e30
I <3 E30's

Postby 87e30 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:04 pm

I know I should have, but I've been too busy and lazy to deal with it. I wasn't expecting it to get that cold. Wednesday they said on the radio it was gonna be 39 degrees on Thursday. Thursday comes around and all of a sudden the HIGH is 23 degrees!

If a cop around here catches you driving with coolant leaking he'll impound your car. I really didn't want that to happen.
99 Suburban
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:02 pm

Yeah I've head Jersey is a bad place to be a car enthusiast.
HSAX Instructor

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:07 am

87e30 wrote:I know I should have, but I've been too busy and lazy to deal with it. I wasn't expecting it to get that cold. Wednesday they said on the radio it was gonna be 39 degrees on Thursday. Thursday comes around and all of a sudden the HIGH is 23 degrees!

If a cop around here catches you driving with coolant leaking he'll impound your car. I really didn't want that to happen.

You know it's the end of days when December is around and you're like "eh, it won't get to freezing"
87e30
I <3 E30's

Postby 87e30 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:09 pm

Well wasn't the first day of winter just yesterday? Who expects it to be 9 degrees in the fall?
99 Suburban
superj
E30 Guy

Postby superj » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:35 am

I feel your pain, man. We went from 80 to 30 in 24 hours. South texas people are preparing for the second ice age if it gets into the 60s so everyone almost died. Luckily, christmas is supposed to be a reasonable 80 again.
Aka: superj (for the old e30 guys)
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:10 am

haha, I worked in New Braunfels for 4 years. I had a cb750 I kept in a buddies garage and people thought I was crazy because I'd show up on the bike with short sleeves when it was in the 70's. They would be in winter parkas with space heaters under their desks, lol.
HSAX Instructor

87e30
I <3 E30's

Postby 87e30 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:11 pm

Space heaters in the 70's? Those people are NUTS! I can't even be indoors if it's above 70 degrees. Outside is a different story. If it's a nice breezy day and I'm not doing anything but relaxing I can tolerate up to almost 110, but I'm most comfortable in the 50's and 60's.
99 Suburban
superj
E30 Guy

Postby superj » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:16 pm

We are above 100 many many days of the year, and i cycle so i am in it for 4-5 hours a day so i am used to hot. Cold kills me. And the building i work in is set for an icy 60 degrees on the thermostat.
Aka: superj (for the old e30 guys)
87e30
I <3 E30's

Postby 87e30 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:29 pm

I wish I worked at places that kept it at 60. I used to work the night shift alone in an office that kept it at 72. Even if you changed it, the thing would check every few minutes and reset back to 72. I ended up putting a lamp under the thermostat to trick it into thinking it was much hotter in the building so it would kick on the AC.
99 Suburban
87e30
I <3 E30's

Postby 87e30 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:54 pm

Oh, back on topic, I spent my Christmas eve fixing the car. The freeze plug that was halfway out that I tapped back in seems to be holding up. The one that I mangled up trying to get in with just a hammer I pulled out and replaced with another new one after I got my freeze plug installation tool. The tool was well worth the $50something I paid for it. I wasted a lot of time distracting myself because I didn't want to take the starter out. I could only get to 1 bolt. When I moved some hoses above the starter to try getting to the other bolt(s) I could see both freeze plugs behind it were still there. I have no idea what hole I had my finger in that first day, but it wasn't a freeze plug hole. I put the hoses back, tightened the starter bolt back up, installed my new radiator and the fan from my black 325is, filled it up with straight water and let it run for about 10 minutes. Temp stayed normal and no leaks! Drained the rad and filled it back up with coolant and it's driving fine! I didn't swap out the blower motor yet. The one in there still kinda works, but it's noisy. My guess is the plastic fins started coming apart and are rubbing on the cover. I'll get around to fixing that eventually. I've been so lazy with repairs. I've been driving the car for like a year and a half now and I still can't roll down either passenger side window!
99 Suburban

Return to “Off Topic”