Road America April 28th and 29th UPDATED with lots of pics!

Autox, road racing, etc
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Road America April 28th and 29th UPDATED with lots of pics!

Postby Nsquared97 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:07 am

Figured I would throw this out there incase any of you guys are going. Anywho, Midwest F-body is having track days at Road America this weekend. I am tagging along with a friend to check out the track for my first time, take some ride-alongs, and hopefully see some sweet cars and have a great time. Anybody else going to be at the event?

http://roadamerica.mfba.org/
Last edited by Nsquared97 on Tue May 01, 2012 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Re: Midwest F-Body Road America April 28th and 29th

Postby M20_fever » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:33 am

I saw that on myautoevents.com, pretty tempting but I don't think I can make it. That track is at the top of my bucket list though. Something tempting about what would effectively be a top speed run on the straight away in a stock(ish) e30.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
ten2doyle102
I <3 E30's

Postby ten2doyle102 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:33 am

I just heard about this tonight as well. I won't be able to make it however. I have a wedding to shoot
7pilot
E30 Guy

Postby 7pilot » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:23 pm

I ran with BMWCCA at that track a couple of years ago.
I was using a "99 M3 with full interior on Toyo RA1 tyres. I did not have the car set up for track as it was a DD. I was running a Ground control kit and HT10 hawks on the front and rear but no ducts.The lack of front ducts hurt big time.
On the front straight I was showing 130 mph, but true speed was 124 mph maybe, as the brakes sucked terribly causing a slow entry and exit speed out of the corner. I also had the back wheels at around 1/2 degree neg, which is totally useless for the track(low corner speeds), but great turn in when driving on the street. The back straight was 128mph true. If I had bothered to set up the car for track, it would have been held back by the speed limiter anyway.
From that experience, I think that a good M20 with good suspension may see 120 mph if you get out of the corners well.
Make sure you have brakes for this track. Otherwise it makes for a long and slow day.

m
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:41 am

Within 20 mins of getting to the track tonight, I was offered a ride in an E30 M3... Words cannot express how incredible that was. More updates when I get back home to my computer and can get pics up.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:44 am

The beast in its natural environment!
HSAX Instructor

ten2doyle102
I <3 E30's

Postby ten2doyle102 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:16 pm

Lucky! My friend has one.... and I still haven't gotten to enjoy that...
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:29 pm

CourtM3 let me drive his, it was awesome.
HSAX Instructor

ten2doyle102
I <3 E30's

Postby ten2doyle102 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:37 pm

:(
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:12 am

Alright, so this proved to be one hell of a weekend for me. First off, keep in mind this was my first ever trip to a track day, Road America, and really the first time I can say I have seen an E30 M3 up close.

Anyway, we got to the track Saturday evening, and immediately got registered and went inside. My friend was looking for where to get his car teched, so we were driving around the paddock. That's when I saw it, a brilliantrot E30 M3. My jaw immediately dropped, the car looked incredible. We circled around the paddock, passed the M3 again, and eventually found tech. I helped unload the car so it could be teched, and then proceeded over to check out the M3. Upon closer inspection it was virtually immaculate, no exterior imperfaections that I could see, very clean interior, and to top it off had a set of Kosei's with R-comps. The owner had started it and was getting belted in. I made the comment that he had a beautiful M3. To this he smiled, and said "Thanks. I had a couple friends that owed me favors, and fortunately one was a body guy, and the other good at interiors." I laughed and explained that I had a '87 325is, to which he said: "Very cool, I'm about to head out, do you want to go for a ride?" I swear my pulse stopped. After I moment I stammered "YES!! Let me go get my helmet!" At which point I sprinted across the paddock to get my helmet.

I was later told by friends they had never seen me run that fast, ever. I knew better than to be running in a paddock, and was half expecting to be yelled at. But I grabbed my helmet and started back, completely breathless by the time I got back to the M3. I jumped in, trying to put on my helmet, get the 4 point harness on, and put the communicator on, so completely thrilled I could hardly focus. Finally we were ready, on pit lane about to head onto the track. We start moving down pit lane, and he tells me through the communicator "Don't worry if you start to feel sick, it's pretty normal. Just let me know" To this I replied "Hey, my dad is a 2 time autocross national Champion, I should be ok." I usually dislike dropping that into conversations, but I figured I would give him a very brief idea of where I come from. His respones? "Oh alright, you'll be just fine then!" And we were off.

At that point we had just entered the front straight, and for the next 10-15 minutes I went into sensory overload. What I didn't know when I jumped into the car was that this wasn't just any E30 M3, but this had been modded. Intake, carbon airbox, cams, exhaust, tune, R-comps, suspension, the works. He told me later he figured about 240whp. Now the other thing I didn't know when we started was that this wasn't your typical BMW owner either. This guy (Scott) is a NASA instructor, that happened to know this track and his car, Ruby, very intimately.

The first thing that hit me was the sound. The S14 just wailed from behind my left shoulder, more than eager to sing right up to redline. The amount of grip the car had, the brakes, everything was awesome. It was very aparent that Scott was a very talented driver, pushing Ruby to her very limit, all the while being very smooth and using up every inch of the track. The first time we hit the long front straight he made the comment the car could use much more power for a long track like Road America, and he urged the car to go faster. From where I was sitting, that S14 was pulling light a freight train, and we were flat out hauling! I think I saw at least 130-135 at the end of the front straight, but it was hard to tell from the passenger seat. We did quite a few laps, and they just flew by. The sounds of that S14 was just raw music to my ears. The smells of rubber, burnt gas, brakes, inundated my nostrils. And even just seeing the track in real life was awesome. I have done hundreds of laps on Road America in Forza, but the real thing is something else. Probably the coolest thing was how passionate Scott was about what he was doing. He told me how much he loved E30's, giving E30 nuts or anybody else rides, had me giving big thumbs up to people as they pointed us by, and even waving at the corner workers on our cool down lap. You could tell that Scoot was one of those very genuine guys that loves to make sure everyone else is having just as much fun as he is at the track. Afterwards it was hours before I could wipe the stupid grin off my face, it's a memory I won't soon forget.

But enough of my blabber, on to the pics! First up is Scott's M3:
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:22 am

Full album (~200 pics) Can be found here: http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt21 ... 20America/

332TI
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Re: Road America April 28th and 29th UPDATED with lots of p

Postby Nsquared97 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:47 am

Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:55 am

Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:57 am

ub3rg33k
Last edited by Nsquared97 on Tue May 01, 2012 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Tue May 01, 2012 2:10 am

Great story, sounds like you had a proper good time the track. That is a stunning M3, must have been a hell of a ride.

This guy runs with Midwest Counsel, saw his at the school I instructed at getting his competition license.
HSAX Instructor

Return to “Racing”