Nick's 2012 Autocross Thread.

Autox, road racing, etc
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Nick's 2012 Autocross Thread.

Postby Nsquared97 » Tue May 15, 2012 7:56 pm

So my local club (Furrin Group) had a 2 day event this weekend. Figured I would go and watch one/both days. Went and watched Saturday, and the bug was btiing me waaayyy too hard not to run Sunday. So I got her all cleaned out, and removed all the broken parts from my deer incident. The car definitely wasn't pretty, but it would get the job done.
Event went very well. Won my class (only other G-stock car was a V6 Mustang, so that doesn't really say a whole lot.) Car felt great with some worthwhile tires underneath it, but man is stock suspension soft. One thing that kind of confused me is the car did not want to rotate like it normally would, had a hard time getting the rear end to rotate. Tried playing with the tire pressures a bit, started at 35 all around. Went to 30 front and 36 rear, didn't seem to help much. This is my first time on R-comps, so I really don't know what to expect with them. I need to get a pyrometer to figure out what kind of pressures to be running.

Surface was also very dirty, gravel/dirt/rocks everywhere. I helped sweet the course beforehand, but not much you can do. This pic sums it up pretty well (also my favorite of the pics I took for the weekend):
Ended up 13th on PAX out of 43. Would have been 10th is my fastest run was clean :( Still very happy for my first outing with the car.

Couple things I learned;
I NEED spacers for the front, nothing major 3-5mm. Tires rubbed pretty bad on the struts.
R-comps are a pain to launch on, actually very little forward grip. May have been the surface though.

Videos! Sorry, it's an old GoPro, the original 480p Hero with a fisheye lens. First video is my 3rd run. Fastest clean run, 40.2 secs. Second video is my 6th run, faster run but got a cone, which you can see in the video. Time was 39.6, not sure why the camera stopped recording.

Last edited by Nsquared97 on Mon May 21, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Re: First AutoX with Sabine

Postby Yoshi » Tue May 15, 2012 8:00 pm

NICE! Glad to see you get out there. The car def looks floppy but you look very controlled out there. Way to go!
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Tue May 15, 2012 8:06 pm

Other cool thing to note. A friend of mine (actually Ex's dad) was there with his 90 325i. His car has springs, struts, UUC swaybarbarians, strut bars, etc. On 15x7 Bayern Mesh with B'stone RE-11's. He let me take a couple fun runs in it after we were done with the evnt (beat his best time after 2 runs by 4/10ths, but that's another story). Anyway, the car felt great, obviously much better planted with all the suspension work. Felt more neutral than my car as well, which I really liked. But what I found rather interesting, after driving his car I know for a fact that mine has a short throw shifter in it! Haven't ever driven another E30 so I had no way of knowing, but mine always did feel pretty short and much notchier feeling.
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Tue May 15, 2012 8:12 pm

Thanks Yoshi! Yeah the suspension needs work, but there isn't much I can do if I want to remain in the class I'm in. I can change out either the front or rear sway, but not both. And I can change struts/shocks, but not springs. I also got an E36 rack from a fellow racer friend this weekend. Not technically legal, but shhhhh... Haha.

And I do have a lot to learn with the car, but man it has me in love the the E30 chassis again. Pretty dang balanced, and so very communicative I always knew what it was doing.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Tue May 15, 2012 8:29 pm

So cool you just pulled the damaged parts and went racing! True tracknut style. If those r-comps still got life in them a stock e30 will have a hard time getting the rear to step out, especially on worn out stock suspension. From your description of the handling, upgrading the rear sway should give you more the feel of being able to get the car to rotate controllably. If your bushings are bad just getting new end links up front should make it feel much better. Not sure on your classing, but a vert front sway is a nice upgrade that will go unnoticed at tech.

Cool about the shifter, that was one of ny favorite mods so far, really changes the whole feel of the car.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
ten2doyle102
I <3 E30's

First AutoX with Sabine

Postby ten2doyle102 » Tue May 15, 2012 11:31 pm

13/43 is not bad at all really. Nicely done sir!
AustinR
I <3 E30's

Postby AustinR » Tue May 15, 2012 11:56 pm

Awesome man! Good to see you out at events. I have to make it to one one of these days. I've never been.
I have some m3 springs I'll sell ya on the cheap since I'll be in GR on Thursday anyway. I bet nobody would notice them and if you're thinking of changing struts and shocks also, might as well throw them on for a TOUCH of lower.
Let me know.
M20_fever wrote:Austin is right.
Nsquared97 wrote:You were right again Austin!
87e30 wrote:Austin is right yet again!

Build Thread
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Wed May 16, 2012 2:55 am

M20_fever wrote:So cool you just pulled the damaged parts and went racing! True tracknut style. If those r-comps still got life in them a stock e30 will have a hard time getting the rear to step out, especially on worn out stock suspension. From your description of the handling, upgrading the rear sway should give you more the feel of being able to get the car to rotate controllably. If your bushings are bad just getting new end links up front should make it feel much better. Not sure on your classing, but a vert front sway is a nice upgrade that will go unnoticed at tech.

Cool about the shifter, that was one of ny favorite mods so far, really changes the whole feel of the car.

Heck yeah, after spectating for a day I had to get out and race again myself. Figured I would just take off everything that was broken/loose, and they can't really give me crap at tech. Plus I got a lot of compliments for flogging an old beat up car haha.

As far as the sways go, I do have a cabrio bar, so that is definitely a possibility. Only issue is the stock bushings that were with it are really shot, and I would like to at least get new ones if not poly If I am going to put it in. Anybody know where to get these? But I am more interested in getting something bigger/aftermarket. What would make me faster? Will a big front bar help out more even if it does introduce some understeer? Or is a big rear going to help me rotate the car better and make getting around corners faster? Would I have traction issues with a rear bar? Car does have the stock 3.73 LSD.

ten2doyle102 wrote:13/43 is not bad at all really. Nicely done sir!

Thanks! Just hoping to make that even better as the season goes on.

AustinR wrote:Awesome man! Good to see you out at events. I have to make it to one one of these days. I've never been.
I have some m3 springs I'll sell ya on the cheap since I'll be in GR on Thursday anyway. I bet nobody would notice them and if you're thinking of changing struts and shocks also, might as well throw them on for a TOUCH of lower.
Let me know.

If you end up in GR, I WILL make you go to events with me haha. AutoX is my drug lol. And you'll have a blast, I will guarantee that.

Ummm, not sure on the springs yet. What's the drop/how much stiffer are they? Maybe if I end up getting struts to stay in Stock class I could throw your M3 springs on with them. Any idea what you want for them?
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed May 16, 2012 3:22 am

The m3 springs would make a great stealth upgrade, I think drop is around an inch. How did the car feel on turn in? Get any under steer? If you already have a vert bar I would get an adjustable rear bar and stiffer end links up front.. That way you can dial in the over steer to fit your needs.

Go hit another deer, then you can pull the rest of the front end off, weight savings son!
HSAX Instructor

AustinR
I <3 E30's

Postby AustinR » Wed May 16, 2012 3:54 am

M20_fever wrote:Go hit another deer, then you can pull the rest of the front end off, weight savings son!

Lulz.

M20_fever wrote:The m3 springs would make a great stealth upgrade, I think drop is around an inch.

This. I can't tell you exactly because when I put them in I put in billie sports at the same time. Essentially I was going from COMPLETELY worn out struts/shocks with stock springs (I'm sure plenty of sag in that setup) to relatively stiff billie sports with m3 springs. I didn't notice much height difference. As far as ride, it was definitely stiffer than my old worn out suspension and much more responsive. I couldn't tell you if that was due to the springs or the shocks/struts.

I don't know what I want for them. haha. I bought them used a couple years ago for $100. I only used them for a few months until I got my H&R's. I'll just toss them in my trunk and we'll go from there. haha.
M20_fever wrote:Austin is right.
Nsquared97 wrote:You were right again Austin!
87e30 wrote:Austin is right yet again!

Build Thread
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Wed May 16, 2012 3:14 pm

M20_fever wrote:The m3 springs would make a great stealth upgrade, I think drop is around an inch. How did the car feel on turn in? Get any under steer? If you already have a vert bar I would get an adjustable rear bar and stiffer end links up front.. That way you can dial in the over steer to fit your needs.

Car felt alright on turn in, I guess the biggest thing is it just wasn't all that responsive being on all stock suspension. From what I remember the understeer came from tighter corners, may have just been me pushing the car too hard. I should clarify, I have a vert front bar but I haven't put it in yet. Need to figure out what I want to do for bushings.

M20_fever wrote:Go hit another deer, then you can pull the rest of the front end off, weight savings son!

Hahahahahaha!!

AustinR wrote:This. I can't tell you exactly because when I put them in I put in billie sports at the same time. Essentially I was going from COMPLETELY worn out struts/shocks with stock springs (I'm sure plenty of sag in that setup) to relatively stiff billie sports with m3 springs. I didn't notice much height difference. As far as ride, it was definitely stiffer than my old worn out suspension and much more responsive. I couldn't tell you if that was due to the springs or the shocks/struts.

I don't know what I want for them. haha. I bought them used a couple years ago for $100. I only used them for a few months until I got my H&R's. I'll just toss them in my trunk and we'll go from there. haha.

Alright, sounds good. My car has 165k on the chassis, and the struts look pretty awful lol. I'm sure the springs will make a difference, and the struts too when I get a chance to replace them.
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Wed May 16, 2012 3:34 pm

Quick question about using spacers, what the largest spacer you can run while still using stock lug bolts? Will 5mm be ok or will I need longer bolts/studs?
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed May 16, 2012 3:44 pm

I ran 5mm spacers with stock length lug bolts with no problems.
HSAX Instructor

Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Wed May 16, 2012 3:52 pm

M20_fever wrote:I ran 5mm spacers with stock length lug bolts with no problems.

Awesome, that's what I wanted to hear. Now to find a pair before Saturday...
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed May 16, 2012 4:39 pm

I think 7 is the limit.

Return to “Racing”