Autox, road racing, etc
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Re: Nick's 2012 Autocross Thread.

Postby Nsquared97 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:13 am

blasphemy101 wrote:
M20_fever wrote:holy body roll Batman!

Holy cow! What's causing that? I thought you had upgraded your suspension bits.

Haha no sir. That's what happens when you have completely stock suspension and 225 wide R-comp tires that are far stickier than the car was ever intended to be driven on. The only thing not stock suspension wise on my car is Koni single adjustable rear struts. In the class I run in, I am only allowed to change out shocks/struts, and one swaybar. Next year when I move up a class I can do just about anything I want suspension wise, and I definitely will be making some changes haha.
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:57 pm

That explains a lot, then. I was thinking, "Man...that rolls just like my car!" which is also an '87 iS. I'm assuming you're in an SCCA stock class, then... How do you like it? I think it would be too hard to keep my car stock! For example: my m50 injectors would put me out of stock class - unless I painted them yellow...
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:15 pm

blasphemy101 wrote:That explains a lot, then. I was thinking, "Man...that rolls just like my car!" which is also an '87 iS. I'm assuming you're in an SCCA stock class, then... How do you like it? I think it would be too hard to keep my car stock! For example: my m50 injectors would put me out of stock class - unless I painted them yellow...

Yup, running G-stock for now, moving up to STX next year. I am very much enjoying it so far, mainly because all it takes is R-comps and I have been pretty competitive on PAX this year, but the club I run with isn't the most competitive one out there. I am getting a bit sick of changing tires at every event, but buying a stud kit really helped make that less of a chore. And R-comps are sooo much fun haha. Plus I love it when people are amazed at how fast you are in that "old BMW."

And I'm not going to lie, my car isn't exactly stock by the rules. It has a short throw shifter in it, which technically is illegal, but IMO a stock unit may actually be better as mine is notchy and a pain to get into 2nd (quickly). That said, there is a guy with another E30 that has big sways front and rear, springs/struts, and a front strut tower brace, plus 15x7 wheels and B'stone RE-11's, and he still runs in G-stock when it's blatently obvious his car isn't stock. But he has yet to beat me, so I don't really care too much ;) Even when I go to STX, I plan on doing a rack swap, which I don't believe is legal. I know it's not quite right, but the stock rack is such a handicap it's painful. That and I highly doubt I will ever be able to get my car to the point where it could truly be competitive on a national level with a top STX car, and I don't plan on running nationally for a while anyway. I just want to have fun, and make my "old BMW" more capable of putting a smile on my face, and surprising the hell out of everyone else haha.
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:14 pm

Nsquared97 wrote:Yup, running G-stock for now, moving up to STX next year. I am very much enjoying it so far, mainly because all it takes is R-comps and I have been pretty competitive on PAX this year, but the club I run with isn't the most competitive one out there. I am getting a bit sick of changing tires at every event, but buying a stud kit really helped make that less of a chore. And R-comps are sooo much fun haha. Plus I love it when people are amazed at how fast you are in that "old BMW."

And I'm not going to lie, my car isn't exactly stock by the rules. It has a short throw shifter in it, which technically is illegal, but IMO a stock unit may actually be better as mine is notchy and a pain to get into 2nd (quickly). That said, there is a guy with another E30 that has big sways front and rear, springs/struts, and a front strut tower brace, plus 15x7 wheels and B'stone RE-11's, and he still runs in G-stock when it's blatently obvious his car isn't stock. But he has yet to beat me, so I don't really care too much ;) Even when I go to STX, I plan on doing a rack swap, which I don't believe is legal. I know it's not quite right, but the stock rack is such a handicap it's painful. That and I highly doubt I will ever be able to get my car to the point where it could truly be competitive on a national level with a top STX car, and I don't plan on running nationally for a while anyway. I just want to have fun, and make my "old BMW" more capable of putting a smile on my face, and surprising the hell out of everyone else haha.

It seems to depend entirely on the group you're running with. I've always assumed minor mods would only become an issue if you were truly competitive on a national level. I generally just try to keep in mind what my car is capable of and comparable to, since I'm not really competitive, even in my own classes :oops:

That might change this weekend, since it seems like I finally got the air out of the brake system on my s2000! Yay for stopping!
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:48 am

blasphemy101 wrote:It seems to depend entirely on the group you're running with. I've always assumed minor mods would only become an issue if you were truly competitive on a national level. I generally just try to keep in mind what my car is capable of and comparable to...

Completely agree on that, and I don't really ever plan on running this car nationallly. And then there is BMWCCA which I run with somewhat often, and they have a whole different classing system... Which is utterly terrible BTW.

And congrats on getting the S2K's brakes working again, those are kinda important ;)
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:14 am

Nsquared97 wrote:Completely agree on that, and I don't really ever plan on running this car nationallly. And then there is BMWCCA which I run with somewhat often, and they have a whole different classing system... Which is utterly terrible BTW.

My local BMWCCA chapter (Suncoast) seems to work alright (if you drive a BMW). It's a points-based system that only specifies for BMW models. However, the points are distributed pretty poorly.

Examples:

Forced Induction = 10 pts, which is the same as a motor swap with gains up to 50 hp, but there's no distinction on horsepower increase from the FI.

Suspension mods cost very little points.

Flywheel, underdrive pulley, CAI all = 3 points each...performance cam = 3 pts

However, I like that R-Comps automatically bump you to the next class.

Nsquared97 wrote:And congrats on getting the S2K's brakes working again, those are kinda important ;)

Bah, I was running with numb brakes for longer than I would care to admit. I'm actually expecting a noticeable improvement in laptimes. Braking distance shouldn't be so much guesswork now... :lol:

Not to say I was dangerously negligent - my brakes definitely worked better than many of the cars performing up to their spec; they just didn't have any feel to them.
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:17 am

Come to think of it. I think I'll run according to my class next BMWCCA event. As far as anyone's concerned, my TRM wheels are C1(15x7) not C1Ms (15x8)...
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:35 am

blasphemy101 wrote:My local BMWCCA chapter (Suncoast) seems to work alright (if you drive a BMW). It's a points-based system that only specifies for BMW models. However, the points are distributed pretty poorly.

Examples:

Forced Induction = 10 pts, which is the same as a motor swap with gains up to 50 hp, but there's no distinction on horsepower increase from the FI.

Suspension mods cost very little points.

Flywheel, underdrive pulley, CAI all = 3 points each...performance cam = 3 pts

However, I like that R-Comps automatically bump you to the next class.

I have been running with Michiana chapter, and their classing is fairly similar. But here's an example of what annoys me:

My R-comps, on the stock 14x6.5" wheel is 10 points. But, I could run a 15x8" wheel with as wide as I want street tires for 0 pts... WTF? Also my 325is starts 3 pts higher than a normal 325i, despite the only legit mechanical difference being the LSD, which was an option for the 325i.

The other thing is their index system (their version of PAX) sucks. If you want to do well on that, you basically just have to be the fastest guy there, because nobody else will have a good enough multiplier to catch you.

I kinda wish I could build a seperate car for BMWCCA classing, I have a feeling I could take serious advantage of their rules and kick some butt ;)
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:25 pm

the 'is' package has more differences than just an LSD, which is an option on 'i' cars as well BTW. The 'is' had nominally stiffer springs though.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:43 pm

Nsquared97 wrote:Also my 325is starts 3 pts higher than a normal 325i, despite the only legit mechanical difference being the LSD, which was an option for the 325i.

M20_fever wrote:the 'is' package has more differences than just an LSD, which is an option on 'i' cars as well BTW. The 'is' had nominally stiffer springs though.

But yeah I know the springs are a bit stiffer, but it's not enough to make any sort of difference when your running the car in any sort of motorsport event.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:22 pm

not at all.
HSAX Instructor

blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Postby blasphemy101 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:59 pm

Well, if you want to get technical, the original dampers were different too.

I'd argue that R-Comps seem to provide more grip than even a much wider tire; granted, I haven't ever driven on them.

Added wheel width does cost points with my chapter. I think it's 2 points for every extra inch of wheel width or something like that. The automatic bump to a higher class seems to keep some people away from the R-Comps. Using an example similar to yours, I could completely prepare my suspension (springs, shocks/struts, bushings, sways) and run r-comps and I would be running points similar to a nearly stock e30 m3 w/ wider wheels and street tires. Not exactly fair for them...
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:42 am

blasphemy101 wrote:Well, if you want to get technical, the original dampers were different too.

I'd argue that R-Comps seem to provide more grip than even a much wider tire; granted, I haven't ever driven on them.

Added wheel width does cost points with my chapter. I think it's 2 points for every extra inch of wheel width or something like that. The automatic bump to a higher class seems to keep some people away from the R-Comps. Using an example similar to yours, I could completely prepare my suspension (springs, shocks/struts, bushings, sways) and run r-comps and I would be running points similar to a nearly stock e30 m3 w/ wider wheels and street tires. Not exactly fair for them...

Oh yeah, my R-comps would still have more grip, but not anywhere near worth 10 extra points. They allow you to run the 'stock' size wheel for your chassis, any width. But they aparently think the E30 came with 15's, I am assuming because of the ix.
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:59 am

So I finally had enough of using painters tape for my car number/class letters for every event, it's kind of a pain to make 77 GS on both side of the car with tape... So I made up some of my own magnetic numbers. You can order them from a bunch of places online for $35-80, figured I could make them way cheaper. Ended up being $4 and a couple hours of my time, and I can make whatever number/letter I want:
Here's hoping the magnets are strong enough I don't lose 'em. Did some 'testing' earlier and one came off at 80mph... But I think that had to do with it not sitting flat and air getting underneath it. I have an event Sunday so we'll see how well they do.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:07 pm

Those look just like the expensive ones, so as long as you used good material they should be fine. Do you get you to 80 on the courses ty out run?
HSAX Instructor

Return to “Racing”