Weird tire wear

Autox, road racing, etc
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Weird tire wear

Postby blasphemy101 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:48 am

Would these tires be safe to run autox on? No cording, but I've never seen weird like this. Its like the top layer of rubber is peeling off on the edge. This is only on what used to be the inside edge. The rest of the tire has tread.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Re: Weird tire wear

Postby M20_fever » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:33 pm

I wouldn't hesitate to run those at an autox. You say 'used to be the inside' so I assume you flipped them on the rims? Looks like just some bad camber wear.
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's

Re: Weird tire wear

Postby blasphemy101 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:17 pm

M20_fever wrote:I wouldn't hesitate to run those at an autox. You say 'used to be the inside' so I assume you flipped them on the rims? Looks like just some bad camber wear.

Yes, I had them flipped - it's definitely some serious camber/toe wear. The PO of this set of wheels/tires supposedly only used them for driving to/at/from autocross events. The two rear tires are pretty well worn all around, but the fronts actually have a good bit of life left in them, aside from the massive wear on the edge.

Unfortunately, leaving these tires at home looked like it cost me 1st in the 4-cylinder class at autocross yesterday. I'm still happy with how I did, considering 1st place was also driving an S2000 on ZIIs. I was concerned that the weird peeling might be a sign that the tires were about to cord-out. The location is about 60 miles from my house, so I didn't want to chance a risky drive home on 3 255s and a donut lol

Return to “Racing”