Yoshi's track logger project

Autox, road racing, etc
Yoshi
Site Admin
AntiSpam: No

Yoshi's track logger project

Postby Yoshi » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:47 pm

Eh, why not make a new post for it?

Here's the latest in the series: http://yoshi.e30drifter.com/2017/02/21/ ... box-day-8/

The short version is that this is an OBD2/gps logger that will eventually log non OBD2 stuff. So theoretically it could hook into your E30. But you'd have to manually do all of the sensors/wiring yourself.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Re: Yoshi's track logger project

Postby M20_fever » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:31 pm

Any benefit to add this to an MS install, or MS will do it all already?
Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:25 pm

That's difficult to answer. The purpose of this logger is more for track day logging than ECU metrics/tuning logging. There is overlap. Like throttle position and RPM. I don't remember MS taking in external data to log though. Like you can't feed in a GPS signal or plumb in your own brake position sensor. But then again, I don't think MS has outputs for things like rpm and throttle position. Does that make sense?

You could theoretically run both and merge the logs but that would be difficult. I figure, it would be easier to tap the tach signal, run a second throttle position sensor somehow, and just run my logger with the non OBD2 stuff.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:52 pm

I get it, but it sure would be cool to be able to overlay the ECU data and track telemetry data over a Google earth map.
HSAX Instructor

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:54 pm

Yea, I plotted my coolant temps. I could see where I was in my drive when my car hit operating temp. It would also be useful to see when you get on gas or brake on a corner. That's what I can't wait for.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:59 pm

yep, and even deeper than that you can see what kind of environmental impacts are affecting your tune, like going lean through ling sweeping corners, or acceleration G's with and without traction control or antilag activated. Just seems to have a lot of possibilities.
HSAX Instructor

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:18 pm

Can your MS logs be GPS time stamped? If not, if just one trigger shared between the two systems could be used to sync them. Like when I have 2 go pros I want to sync, at the beginning of the video, I knee the gas pedal twice. By "knee" I mean bring my knee as high as I can, then hit the gas pedal. This gives me both an audio and visual cue to sync the videos. And if i was logging data, the changes in throttle position would help too.

If something like that can be done, I can figure out how to load an MS log into my logger and thus sync the data.
Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:17 pm

So Tony, here's a thought for you. Each thing you attach to the logger takes time to "poll" and log. Older OBD2 protocols (like in my subaru) are roughly 120ms per PID. Meaning, if I poll 4 PIDs, that's half a second spent just on 4 things. The GPS logs all of its data every 100-200ms and the accelerometer is 20ms (lol). So the full round takes about 0.6 seconds. The OBD2 calls in my subaru are so slow that the GPS sometimes makes 3 sessions and the accelerometer makes 2 or 3 in that 0.6 second time frame.

From a track usability standpoint, this isn't acceptable. But really, the only OBD2 stuff you want to log would be rpm and throttle anyway. I log IAT and CLT for health. I suppose you could switch that on and off but that's discouraging.

In my E30 (2006 LS ECU) the full round is 300ms. Still not super sexy but I guess it's ok. 45ms poll time. So I could cut that down easily by only logging 2 out of the 4 PIDs I like. Thankfully, I have a new GPS module in the mail that polls at 10hz (100ms) instead of my current GPS' 5hz (200ms). Also thankfully, my external arduino logger should log within 50ms. But I still need to test that. The problem is that OBD2 stuff is a "call and respond" protocol.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:42 pm

Makes sense, but I've seen transponders and loggers with way better Hz ratings. Not sure that matters if the ECU is the bottle neck. I don't know if MS can handle GPS overlay, never looked into it, but if any of them can I would think my MS3x would be the one that would. The OBD2 in my truck seems to have good polling time, I use it to live monitor gauges on a tablet and it seems to be right on, no noticeable delay.
HSAX Instructor

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:16 pm

What years is your truck? Anything past ~2007 is CAN and polls super fast. But remember it's "round robin" so the gauges update as the polls come back. Looking at the gauges are misleading because they don't update in unison.

I got a log from a guy with a car 2010+ and his poll time was like 30ms. At this point, it might be easier to separately tap rpm and throttle lol.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:59 pm

My truck is a '99. Ford diesels are weird though, a normal OBD reader can't pull codes, you need a special protocol on the reader which limits your options to either Fords Auto Engenuity scan tool ($$$) or the newer ELM327 readers paired to apps like Torque that have custom PID packs to decode the diesel protocols. In most cases the tablet gauges are as fast or faster than the aftermarket physical gauges installed in the truck.
HSAX Instructor

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:56 pm

I think they LOOK faster but aren't. The two torque logs you sent me IIRC are from your truck. Their time stamps are at 1 second intervals. A gauge wired into an actual sensor will always beat blue tooth and a tablet any day. Unless the digital gauge is designed to poll at crappy speeds.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:45 pm

That is probably true, but if the human eye can't perceive the difference in refresh rate versus analog does it really matter for live monitoring? If you're talking logging for on the edge tuning then yes, it makes a big difference, but for the use 99% of your client base is looking for I don't see it making that big a difference.
HSAX Instructor

Yoshi
Site Admin

Postby Yoshi » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:50 pm

In the past few days a bunch of people have contacted me about using this for race logging. Mainly the GPS plot with the driver input and at a very cheap price point. The ideal situation is to log every 0.1 seconds. Which I think I can do if it wasn't for the damn OBD2 port. So my consolation is to log everything else at 0.1ms and "stretch" the OBD2 data to fill in the gaps between polls. It's not perfect but whatchu gonna do?
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:04 pm

Honestly I don't think you need it that precise. I was more than happy with the Trackmaster data just using the accelerometers in my phone, and that app can be paired to external inputs like transponders for even higher precision. The lap times from Trackmaster were within 3-5 10ths of a second compared to the tracks timing system.
HSAX Instructor

Return to “Racing”