2009 SCCA SOLO RULES.

Autox, road racing, etc
Rick
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Re: 2009 SCCA SOLO RULES.

Postby Rick » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:32 am

There is one coming up this weekend here in Tucson. Im trying to figure out what all I needto get started? helmet? any type clothing?

Maybe I should just ride up there and see about it all I guess.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:37 am

Midwestern Councel C Prepared class champion 2012
North Suburban Sports Car Club C Prepared class champion 2012
HSAX Instructor

GET YOUR E3P GEAR HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/e3pgearshop
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:46 am

You will definitely need a helmet to run, iirc it has to be Snell2005 rated or newer. A lot of regions have loaner helmets you can borrow if you don't have your own. Definitely go and check it out, even if your not going to run. Whore yourself out to ride in as many cars as you can haha, it is a ton of fun. And then you'll get to see what all the excitement is about, lol autoX can look a bit lame just watching from the sidelines.

If you are going to run, you do have to pass a tech inspection. But as long as your car is roadworthy, it will most likely pass tech no problem. One thing that does get people is to make sure your battery is secured well. Oh and walk the course, at the very least a couple times. Nothing is more frustrating than starting your first run and getting lost (and can be very dangerous as well) Plus why waste a run or 2 trying to remember where the course goes?

Just ask a bunch of questions, most people are more than willing to help out somebody interested in trying autoX learn the ropes.
Rick
I <3 E30's

Postby Rick » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:19 pm

Thanks. Good point about the battery. As a matter of fact I dont have mine secured down angry

Good project for today.

Im not planning to run, but will go there to check it out, have it looked at to see whats what etc. It happens to be on my B-day too, happy birthday to myself.
Rick
I <3 E30's

Postby Rick » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:28 pm

Just got back from the autox. Pretty cool. My notes on watching the cars:

Man you can really tell a cars weight, regardless of its tires and suspension. Light weight is just plain the best mod (duh)

The Mustangs looked like real pigs, same with the Vettes. Some guy had a turbo Yaris which is funny, because I absolutely despise them after I rented one. I cant imagine owning one let alone fixing one up lol. But actually it was pretty quick...

The Miatas were obviously in their element, a few very nice boosted and sticky tire ones.

Honda S2000's did equally well and sounded great. I think one had straight exhaust, sounded pretty cool but on the street would be annoying IMO.

One car that surprised me was the newest edition MR2, sounded and looked good going round the cones.

A few real deal race cars were ther as well, a badass Lotus something or other and an open wheels formula type. Dident get to see those run unfortunately

Overall looks like a ton of fun, cant wait to run next time!
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:36 pm

Haha cool, glad you had fun. You'd be surprised at the Mustangs, the new ones are the car to have in F stock. And C-Prepared (basically stripped down, race only cars) are one of the most entertaining classes to watch, all pony/muscle cars.
Rick
I <3 E30's

Postby Rick » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:40 pm

I do admit the stangs' are fun to watch though. I did stand back from the line somewhat when they would go through the slalom LOL.
Rick
I <3 E30's

Postby Rick » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:56 pm

I think im just going to go ahead with comp tires... The Hankook's look like they are nice, any opinion?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... entus+Z214

I also want to swap to 500# front springs from my 400's I have now
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:51 pm

I looked into those a little bit about a year ago, not really sure how well they perform, but they are significantly cheaper than Hoosiers. Although to be honest I would just use up some street tires first. Seat time is far more valuable to anybody starting out, and R-comps will get used up fairly quickly. Generally speaking a lot of people say R-comps start to fall off in terms of grip after 60 runs. Some people, my dad included, will get up to 120 runs out of a set of tires. But that all does depend on the car, his 1000lb formula car is most likely a lot easier on tires than a 2500lb street car.

But hey, if that's what you want to do, go for it. What wheel/tire size would you be running?
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:39 pm

I would recommend starting with a good high performance summer tire. I cut 9 seconds off my lap times on summer tires this season just from seat time, no other changes in the car. Starting with summer tires will still give the car way more grip than you will be using starting out, and you can still run them on the street, not to mention they will last at least a whole season if not longer which r-comps will not. As you gain experience and get faster you can grow into stickier tires.

You would be better off IMO spending the money on a good harness to hold you in the seat, makes a night and day difference in feeling what the car is doing.
HSAX Instructor

Rick
I <3 E30's

Postby Rick » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:32 am

Thanks for the input guys!!

Well I would have 2 sets of tires and wheels, street and autox. Pointless to burn up higher $$$ tires to go to the store etc. I work at home so no commuting, but still like to drive around on the street with it. I have a van for my so called DD anyway.

Right now I have BFG g-force sport with prob only 3k miles on them. Sizes are 235/40/17 F and 255/40 R and rims are 17x9" wide F and R.

I was motivated today to remove my sunroof and cartrige. Quite a bit of weight and up high, and what a PITA that was! But is looking good now and I dident do any visable damage to the roof. Will make a thread on here for picts this new stage of my car.

My plan is as light as I can possibly get it. I already have from the dash back pretty much gutted minus the 2 ton weighing doors (lol). The most important work IMO will be lightning the front end. Im going to make my own GRP hood that works like stock. And either buy an EVO m3 front end (bumper and valence in one piece) or just mod and mold the the one I have now.

For autoX the m20 I have will work well I think. The enemy is weight and im going to work hard at reducing it as much as I can.

Thanks for the help guys! Im excited and finally have an aim for the car besides jut a cool factor :)
Last edited by Rick on Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rick
I <3 E30's

Postby Rick » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:33 am

Oh and yes, absolutely on the better seats and harness! And a quicker steering gear. On and on LOL

-grin-

those two are tops on the list.
Nsquared97
I <3 E30's

Postby Nsquared97 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:13 am

Haven't had a chance to autoX my car yet, but I have heard the slow steering is one of the biggest deterrents for a stock E30.
M20_fever
Größter Vorsitzender

Postby M20_fever » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:18 am

Is the e36 rack really that much better than the stock rack?
HSAX Instructor

Rick
I <3 E30's

Postby Rick » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:33 am

Stock is what, 4 turns lock to lock? And the e36 is like 3, the z3 1.8 rack is like 2.7...the quikest you can get.

I want mine a lower ratio and quicker for lower speed work. If you're on a higher speed track then I think stock is cool.

Return to “Racing”