White 87 325is in NJ

Post a build of your car or project HERE
blasphemy101
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Re: White 87 325is in NJ

Postby blasphemy101 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:50 pm

87e30 wrote:
blasphemy101 wrote:Timing belts aren't so bad...until they are.

You referring to the labor? IIRC when I did the timing belt and water pump on that engine after I swapped it into the car it took me around 3ish hours taking my time. I just didn't have a spare 3 hours on Monday night to tear into it. Plus I was worried there might be other damage as well that I didn't want to deal with. Someone with experience I'd think could do it in under 2 hours. Why did I pay for 4.5 hours of labor?

Haha no, I just meant the belt itself. I understand the numerous benefits, and the engineering surrounding the belt seems fine - they don't seem to fail inside their service interval often. It's just unfortunate that with an interference-type motor that when they go, they GO.

I think 2 hours would be pretty quick for a timing belt change. If you do it by the book - pulling the radiator, being extremely diligent about the timing, measuring timing/v-belt tensions, completely bleeding the cooling system, etc. the way I would want a shop to do it, I think 3-3.5 hours would be a good job. 4.5 hours for guten to do it seems a little steep. I assume they aren't cheap. A friend and I replaced the belt on his Integra recently, and it probably took that long, but neither of us had ever done the job on that motor before.
87e30
I <3 E30's
AntiSpam: No

Re: White 87 325is in NJ

Postby 87e30 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:59 pm

blasphemy101 wrote:Haha no, I just meant the belt itself. I understand the numerous benefits, and the engineering surrounding the belt seems fine - they don't seem to fail inside their service interval often. It's just unfortunate that with an interference-type motor that when they go, they GO.

I think 2 hours would be pretty quick for a timing belt change. If you do it by the book - pulling the radiator, being extremely diligent about the timing, measuring timing/v-belt tensions, completely bleeding the cooling system, etc. the way I would want a shop to do it, I think 3-3.5 hours would be a good job. 4.5 hours for guten to do it seems a little steep. I assume they aren't cheap. A friend and I replaced the belt on his Integra recently, and it probably took that long, but neither of us had ever done the job on that motor before.

I didn't watch them do it, but I would be surprised if every step was taken. Having worked in a repair shop, and towing cars for a living, I see the shortcuts many mechanics take. Guten doesn't do the service anymore, they recently moved upstairs from where they were and partnered with another company to do all of their service. Their labor rate is just about the same as the dealership.

At least they got my car running better than it did before, other than the valve tap which was no doubt caused by the timing slipping when the tensioner broke. They also squeezed me in on the same day when they said they had a 6 week back log. Can't complain about that. I do think the job should have been much cheaper, but with the turnaround time I got again I can't really complain too much. Overall they took care of me.
Schwarz 5-speed 87 325is (newest project)
Arktisblau 5-speed 86 325e (current DD)
Schwarz 5-speed 87 325e (parts car/LS1 swap?)
Gazellenbeige automatic 85 318i (70,000 miles)
Alpine white 5-speed 87 325is (my first e30, possibly for sale)
99 Suburban

Return to “Builds”